FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to fully utilize separate .veg projects in one timeline

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Edwards
How to fully utilize separate .veg projects in one timeline
on Mar 28, 2016 at 1:21:14 pm

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I've looked and can't find the answer.

I have two projects that I've labored over for hours. Each on the subject of a specific sport. Each has dozens and dozens of intricate pans, velocity settings, etc.

I want to use each on the same timeline with the original fidelity so I have full 100% editing ability.

I cannot find out how to perform this "simple"concept.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: How to fully utilize separate .veg projects in one timeline
on Mar 28, 2016 at 1:37:30 pm

What you want is called nesting.
Start a new project with a new name.
Import each saved veg file and drop it on the timeline.
Be advised that this will result in the creation of two new files with the sfap0 extension (i.e. myproject-1.veg.sfap0 and myproject-2.veg.sfap0).
Depending on the complexity of your project, this may take some time to load.
Once everything is loaded in, save it again.
If you want/need to do any further editing, right click the desired video event and choose Edit in Vegas (myproject-1.veg or myproject-2.veg).
This will open the project in a new instance of Vegas.
Make your desired changes, save the project and exit.
When you go back to your nested project, the changes will already have been made for you.

Return to posts index

Tom Edwards
on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:20:42 pm

Mike,

I did this yesterday and I did not see the same results.

I imported my .veg(s) and everything just came into my project's explorer after a very long copy. So, everything was there, but in a brand new state, to the extent I would have to redo all my edits, pans, velocity settings, etc. Ergo my posted message.

Am I missing something, or is there another way? Sorry if I'm imbecilic...

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:38:18 pm

or is there another way?

Another way to "combine" the two projects is to simply open your 2nd project, do a Crl-A, copy and then paste at the end of your first project. However, this works only if your track layout is the same for both projects. Also, whenever you do the paste, your cursor must be at the end of the first project with the top track selected.

A second way to deal with this problem is to keep the projects separate and simply stitch them together during render or render separately, and then combine the two rendered files into one afterward. If your projects are really long and complex, this approach is probably the easiest.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Mar 28, 2016 at 5:17:23 pm

It sounds like you did the menu option Import Media from Project, which just brings in the media with none of your edits. Try dragging the project veg files directly to a new timeline. You could use the explorer tab within Sony Vegas or the Windows explorer.

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Mar 31, 2016 at 2:16:04 pm

Looking at Mike's original response to "import" the media into a new project may have thrown the user off. What Mark recommends is the way to go. In essence, you treat the sub-project .veg file as any other media and drag it onto your master project timeline. The nice thing with the nesting is that each .veg project file will only occupy a single track in your "master" project. This helps to "de-clutter" the master project if each of your sub-project .veg files occupy multiple tracks (in its respective .veg file). Then, as Mike suggests, if in your master project .veg file you find you need to tweak something in one of the sub-project .veg files, you just right click on the sub-project and select the Edit in Vegas (sub-project filename). I've done a few projects with over 30 tracks. Being able to condense that down in the master project to one track (or one track per sub-project) makes assembling the whole project much easier.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]