FORUMS: list search recent posts

Off Topic-Making a good filmmaker website to get clients

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Mike
Off Topic-Making a good filmmaker website to get clients
on Mar 22, 2016 at 2:19:22 pm

Hey guys, been a while! I guess I didn't have much to contribute regarding Vegas, though I've been using it every day.

I've been making a lot of YouTube videos but want to get into making commercials (online and on TV) and music videos. I want to make a website to do this and am willing to pay to have someone build one for me rather than doing it myself. I could do an ok job and have had a website before, but I'm so busy and would rather have an expert handle it.

So, any experience doing this? Any pitfalls? Learning moments? I want to be hired to be a filmmaker, not a videographer shooting things like events or corporate videos. I've done a little work in commercials and music videos before and am sure I could get good clients who understand why they'd hire me as opposed to a videographer and have me help craft a great story for them.

I have a few videos I could put on the website to start that stand out as videos that show the kind of work I do and have gotten some degree of popularity. Those will help establish that I have a specific point of view and am not a videographer for hire (nothing wrong with that and I did it for years). I'm only a good fit for certain clients.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

James Hauge
Re: Off Topic-Making a good filmmaker website to get clients
on Mar 23, 2016 at 8:27:27 pm

If you want my opinion (I know, you didn't ask, but hey, why not), and feel free to ignore me if you want, I would think that for what you're looking to do it means much more about who you know than how you market on a web site... I am not putting down having and using a web site (Hell, I've made my fair share of sites and charge to make em for others) and I think you should have a site, but for this particular area, it's much more about who you know...

I believe this because those 'clients' who would be looking to hire someone like that, will be asking people in the 'industry' for recommendations...

That's just my thoughts.. I'm not a marketing expert, but I have taken many sales and marketing classes that that's the impression I get from the situation you describe.

Still, I'd suggest making (or having made) a web site... I'll even help you do it if you want to discus it with me...

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Mar 23, 2016 at 9:32:13 pm

[James Hauge] "If you want my opinion (I know, you didn't ask, but hey, why not), and feel free to ignore me if you want, I would think that for what you're looking to do it means much more about who you know than how you market on a web site... I am not putting down having and using a web site (Hell, I've made my fair share of sites and charge to make em for others) and I think you should have a site, but for this particular area, it's much more about who you know...

I believe this because those 'clients' who would be looking to hire someone like that, will be asking people in the 'industry' for recommendations...

That's just my thoughts.. I'm not a marketing expert, but I have taken many sales and marketing classes that that's the impression I get from the situation you describe.

Still, I'd suggest making (or having made) a web site... I'll even help you do it if you want to discus it with me..."

I don't think that's bad advice at all. It's actually very important, and something I need to work on. I've still got a lot of figuring out to do as far as what my options are and my budget.

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Mar 24, 2016 at 1:18:53 am

Sounds good... If you'd like to discus it I do give free consultations and I think this would be best a conversation taken away from this forum before we get in trouble :D

send me an email at hauge.james@gmail.com and we'll be able to talk and I'll give you my skype id and phone number there...

--James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]