FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for some advice with regards to a CPU to use with a Video Editing rig.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Archer
Looking for some advice with regards to a CPU to use with a Video Editing rig.
on Mar 13, 2016 at 6:13:58 pm
Last Edited By Cameron Archer on Mar 13, 2016 at 8:15:00 pm

Hello there, the time has come for me to upgrade my old PC, along with the i5 3570K that has served me well admittedly. But altogether my old system just wasn't cutting it. So I decided to splash out on a new build. Here is a rough idea of what the finished rig would look like (note that I will go into an explanation a bit later on about the title of my post).

CPU: Intel i7 5930K or Intel Xeon E5-1650 V3*
Cooler: Corsair H110i
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB)
SSD 1: Crucial MX100 256GB (this will be mainly used for storing excess files such as music ripped from my collection using EAC etc)
SSD 2: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB (this would be used for the OS (Windows 8.1), Sony Vegas of course and other intensive applications)
HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB
GPU: MSI GTX 780 3GB VRAM
Motherboard: Asus X99-A
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold

*So my main issue is really here (although suggestions elsewhere would equally be welcomed). I have approximately £500 to spend on a CPU and and can't really go over that if I want to be able to afford this build. My main problem is the choice between the processors. I have browsed old posts on i7 vs Xeon CPU's when it comes to rendering and I see a mix of Xeons will be better by default, i7's will beat Xeon's 1v1 but a Dual CPU set up Xeon's will crush the competition. I unfortunately don't have the budget to fork out £1000+ on a High End CPU.

So I thought if I could get some suggestions on what would be the best with regards to Xeon or i7 CPU's when it comes to rendering HD footage (since I mostly work on 2K projects). But for family as well I might need to quickly blitz through a 1080p home video. Or even if I should get another processor separate from the 2 I listed altogether. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Kind Regards.

Cameron

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Looking for some advice with regards to a CPU to use with a Video Editing rig.
on Mar 15, 2016 at 3:54:24 am

I'm using an i7-3930K .. very happy with the 6 core for Vegas. I'd go with the newer i7-5930K .. good choice.

Return to posts index

Cameron Archer
Re: Looking for some advice with regards to a CPU to use with a Video Editing rig.
on Mar 15, 2016 at 11:26:49 am

Thanks for the reply Paul. Only thing I was thinking was that a lot of people big up Xeons as being very good for rendering, and they also should be able to manage the workload a bit easier and not be prone to crashing if it's been rendering for a while due to all the number crunching that will be going on.

And according to some Benchmark sites the Xeon beats the i7 5930K on a core to core basis.

As the long rendering sessions are what I need the CPU to be reliable for. So far I'm thinking the Xeon might be the better choice.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 15, 2016 at 3:13:23 pm

Check this thread on Sony's Vegas Forum .. Generally my impression is unless you use dual Xeons, stick with the fastest i7 you can afford -- and use an AMD R9 graphics card for GPU. But I'm not familiar with the E5-1650 V3 ..

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?forumid=4&messag...

Return to posts index

Cameron Archer
on Mar 15, 2016 at 3:19:26 pm

Thanks for the link Paul.

I was thinking of rearranging my budget and perhaps going for the i7 5960X. I imagine that is the best Intel CPU out there before you start getting into the £1000+ Xeon's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]