FORUMS: list search recent posts

File problem

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barb Ward
File problem
on Mar 6, 2016 at 6:00:42 pm

I am lifting sections off of my own DVD in order to make a music CD. In order to do that I put the DVD in my E drive,edit the song I want on Sony Vegas, and save it as its own song in a folder on my D drive which is my hard drive. Now when I want to make the compilation on Sony Vegas, I go through the explorer to find the folder in SV, its there and I go to drag it to the time line and a window says The following file could not be found in its location, "E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB" It gives me the option to "specify a new location or replacement file, so I go through explorer again and drag the file and it comes up offline. ( and basically empty) Why is it going to E in the first place when I clearly saved it on D? and what do I do now? Please and Thank you...

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: File problem
on Mar 6, 2016 at 7:13:15 pm

[Barb Ward] "In order to do that I put the DVD in my E drive,edit the song I want on Sony Vegas, and save it as its own song in a folder on my D drive which is my hard drive."
What exactly are you saving to the D: drive? If it's just the Vegas Pro project (i.e., *.veg) file then you still need the media that's on the DVD. The project just points to the real media. It does not "contain" the media.

What you should do is use File | Import | DVD Camcorder Disc... and copy the media to your D: drive. Then you won't need the DVD files to be on-line.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Barb Ward
on Mar 6, 2016 at 7:41:19 pm

I imported the media (Import media, E drive, all files) to get it onto the timeline, then deleted the songs I did not want to keep and saved "it" in a folder on my D drive. Which obviously failed because by your explanation, I now understand its merely a project file and not the actual song with video. How do I save it as its own entity? This project will require me to extract one or 2 music and video files from about 15 separate DVDs then compile them into one CD. I have made a CD from a DVD before but not one that is a compilation of many DVD's. I really can't be copying 15 entire DVD's to my hard drive. Actually, all of the DVD's are already on my hard drive because I made them but I can't access them because when I upgraded my computer the drive got a different letter and if I try to load them I get the same message that I described in my first question. Even though they are sitting right there sony can't find them.

Thanks a bunch John.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 6, 2016 at 8:06:20 pm

Sounds like you are making a compilation video with the source being 15 different DVD's. Easiest thing I can think of is to select the sections you want for each DVD in the same way you are doing it now -- BUT as you go, render out these sections to a loseless format like Sony MXF files. When you are done you should have at least 15 MXF files in the same folder. Use these MXF files to make your complilation. You simply cannot use 15 different DVD's as your source.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 6, 2016 at 8:44:15 pm

[Barb Ward] " How do I save it as its own entity?"
When you use File | Save As..., there is a checkbox at the bottom that says, "Copy media with project". You want to check this box to have Vegas Pro copy the media into the same folder on your D: drive as your project. Then you won't need the DVD anymore.

Be careful using this option because it's not very smart. If used multiple times it will happily make copies, of copies, of copies and you will have a mess. It's really meant to be an archiving function (used only once).
[Barb Ward] " Actually, all of the DVD's are already on my hard drive because I made them but I can't access them because when I upgraded my computer the drive got a different letter and if I try to load them I get the same message that I described in my first question."
Did you save the project after relocating the media? You must save the project so that the new locations are saved as well.

~jr

Return to posts index

Barb Ward
on Mar 6, 2016 at 10:34:52 pm

Yes, there is a box that says " Copy Media with your project" ( big sigh and rolling eyes) I must confess I never noticed. When I feel this stupid I wonder how I even managed to make the couple dozen Dvd's that I have.
Honestly the filing in this program is a nightmare for me and I need a good tutorial on how to set it up properly. I have an import folder -> from camera to hard drive
and then Working videos,
prepared videos,
Rendered videos
finished videos.
There must be a better way.
But I thank you kindly for setting me straight. 'Copy Media with your project' worked.

Now is there a way for me to add each song to the project without having to open another Sony Vegas, loading the next song and dragging it into the original SV with the original project?

Last question. I promise. Thanks again John.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 7, 2016 at 4:08:08 am

[Barb Ward] "Honestly the filing in this program is a nightmare for me and I need a good tutorial on how to set it up properly."
This is not your fault. Vegas Pro is horrible at this. One of the things that I love about Final Cut Pro X is that it manages all of the media for you and makes it very hard to not keep everything in the same place. Vegas Pro not only allows you to shoot yourself in the foot, it loads the gun for you.

What I would do is make a folder for every project. Then I would import all media into this folder. I even copy media from stock footage libraries into the folder. Some people don't do this. They leave the media wherever it is on their hard drive. Then when they try and open project months later, they are missing media because it moved. I have never used the option to "Copy media with project" because my media is ALWAYS with my project from the very first day of editing. You have to be very disciplined with Vegas Pro. One project... one folder... everything goes in it... no exceptions!
[Barb Ward] "Now is there a way for me to add each song to the project without having to open another Sony Vegas, loading the next song and dragging it into the original SV with the original project?"
You can use nested projects. This is the way I use to make tutorial DVD's. I would make each chapter a separate project. Then to create the final video, I would create a master project and drop all of the .veg files onto the timeline. These are called "nested projects". Most people don't realize that you can take an entire multi-track project and drop it into another one and it will behave as a single piece of media.

By nesting projects you can work on songs individually and then make a compilation of all of the songs later.
[Barb Ward] "Last question. I promise."
If that's the last question then I'll have nothing to do for the rest of the week... please feel free to ask more. There is a volume discount. lol ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Barb Ward
on Mar 7, 2016 at 4:48:15 am

Thanks kindly for the tips. I don't know anything about nesting but do see a lot of tutorials on it and will follow through with that. Your expertise is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]