FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yet Another Pixelated Rendering Question

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Catone
Yet Another Pixelated Rendering Question
on Feb 19, 2016 at 9:18:13 am

Hi, I've been spending the last few months trying to teach myself the basics of video production and my current headache is the pixelation that shows up between the Vegas preview and rendered product. It was a lot less noticeable when I was still doing 8Mbps 30fps videos but it's just really surprising to me that the difference between the raw and rendered videos is so dramatic now.

I'm trying to create 720p 60fps video of (in this particular example) a first person shooter game (unavoidable fast, "camera," motion). I'm using OBS to capture and the raw video is as acceptable as it's going to be. It's creating 10Mbps CBR mp4 downscaling from 1600x900 game resolution to 1280x720 video @ 60fps through an nVidia 970. This mp4 looks relatively fine on its own and in the Vegas preview (aside from the excess of contrast and color saturation hoops I seem to need to go through to make it look comparable). I'm not even to the point where I'm worried it'll be jacked up by Youtube because it's still being jacked up by Vegas.

Now, the problem I'm having is figuring out what codec or settings to use for it to not look like I'm playing Pong (slight hyperbole) or at least without pixelating the sky (the part of the video with the least motion) into a countable number of pixels.

I'm trying to render this video a number of ways with no noticeable changes, currently:

Main Concept AVC/AAC, 60 fps, 1280x720 Progressive, YUV, 10 Mbps (also tried VBR with 12Mbps max, 10Mbps average and 2-pass checked)
progressive scan both with and without CUDA.

Is there a better, Youtube-friendly codec I could be using or is there inevitably going to be super lossy and require doubling my bitrate along with the fps?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Yet Another Pixelated Rendering Question
on Feb 19, 2016 at 3:09:17 pm

ahhhh, Another pixelated render output issue from game captured source!
Have you searched this forum Chris? It has been discussed and brought up
endlessly here..... And the issue, is not with Vegas!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Chris Catone
on Feb 19, 2016 at 7:28:21 pm

I certainly don't invite snark lightly. I've tried a number of the solutions provided by this forum with no apparent affect and probably got the best answer for future renders on the OBS site (convert to another format before importing to Vegas). I hail-Mary'd a few other codecs and found that just using the Sony AVC/MVC codec instead of the Main Concept worked to salvage the work I'd already done. It wasn't as clean as the preview in Vegas but it didn't look like a tile wall anymore which is good enough for now.

Thanks for your help though.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 19, 2016 at 8:35:49 pm

I am never Snark nor Sarcastic in my comments, advises and recommendations
here Chris. I simply say it exactly as it is!..... And it's exactly
how i told you in my previous response to your initial post, seeking assistance.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]