FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lossless format

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
Lossless format
on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:34:05 pm

I am undertaking pre-processing with Avisynth/ VirtualDub ... intermediate stages saved with a Lossless Intraframe codec.

I know that Lagarith & Grass Valley Lossless both will load OK on Vegas ... are there any reasons to choose one over the other ... I have to save in some 'format' so might as well choose the most suitable.

(Would consider others if need be)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Lossless format
on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:57:54 pm

One thing to try. Place a sample file on the Vegas timeline and render out using each codec. Then open that file in Virtualdub and render out again using the same codec. Bring those back into Vegas on another track for comparison. Toggle back and forth using videoscopes to insure there are no color shifts. I abandoned use of Lagarith for this very reason some time ago--plus it decodes very slowly on the timeline. I haven't tried Grass Valley Lossless.

You might give some consideration to MagicYUV (my current choice since I do a lot of avisynth-vdub processing). No color shifts and it decodes very quickly for good preview performance on the timeline.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Feb 16, 2016 at 11:34:11 pm

Thanks ...I'll try that codecs.

For test ... not sure I follow . I load a file into Vegas you say render out using each code ? I don't have render templates for either of those Lossless codecs.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 16, 2016 at 11:51:57 pm

I don't have render templates for either of those Lossless codecs.

You will have to create a custom template for each one. Very easy. Open the Render As window. In the center drop down menu, select Video for Windows (*.avi). You can select any template (although it's a bit quicker if there is already one for your project frame size, rate, etc. which can be identified if there is an equals sign "=" in front of the template)--then click on Customize Template. Select Frame Size, Frame Rate, Field Order, PAR, and under Video Format, there is another drop down menu. Select your codec and configure if necessary. Then Enter a new Template Name in top box. Click on the save icon and you're done. You will have to do this for each codec and each frame rate/size variation that you might want to use.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 17, 2016 at 3:49:36 am

Is there a specific reason you are editing lossless, vs using xavc-intra, hdcam, or cineform? Those codecs will yield just as good as results with less problems. Even dnxhd would be a better choice than legality in terms of editing.

If you are concerned about generational loss, then you may need to re-think your workflow. Capture, edit, output workflows are generally designed to take into account image loss by the end, and still maintain image quality. Unless you are doing animation and heavy compositing, then image sequences like exr would be the best uncompressed format.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:09:03 am

Is there a specific reason you are editing lossless, vs using xavc-intra, hdcam, or cineform?

The problem is that he using Virtualdub to render so the Sony codecs won't work. Cineform does work, although I've had problems maintaining color accuracy when going from Vegas to Virtualdub and back. Plus, for me at least, Cineform seems to be more prone to the "black clip" problem and more importantly, it does NOT smart render, unlike other codecs such as MagicYUV or UTVideo.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:56:40 am
Last Edited By Rick Hughes on Feb 17, 2016 at 5:40:21 pm

I save in Lossless during VirtualDub stages .. to prevent loss.
Once finished they need to be saved as 'something' so my Question was is the best Lossless format for media 'entry' into Vegas.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:50:06 am

Thanks I'll go try.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Feb 20, 2016 at 7:18:20 pm
Last Edited By Rick Hughes on Feb 20, 2016 at 8:20:09 pm

Wayne ... question for you on using MagicYUV lossless.

Been doing some test in VirtualDub ... I want to make sure I bring files in Vegas in the correct colorspace.
My input files into VD are YV12 from capture software ... after various processing steps each saved as Grass Valley Lossless it ends up each time as YUY2.
If I now switch to MagicYUV what color space do I use ..... if I leave it as 'as is' it provides me with RGB32 files by default.
I can force conversion to YUY2 (or any YUV colorspace)

What is the best option to provide as an input to Vegas ... RGB32 or YUY2 .... as you advised you use MagicYUV can you educate me ?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 20, 2016 at 8:45:55 pm

What is the best option to provide as an input to Vegas ... RGB32 or YUY2

I always use the default, RGB32 since Vegas works in RGB.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Feb 20, 2016 at 11:21:30 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]