FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 12 24p film look slow motion riddle.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukas Samson
Sony Vegas Pro 12 24p film look slow motion riddle.
on Feb 16, 2016 at 5:03:03 pm

Hey Editors,

First i'm sory for my english, i'm from Europe.

I have this one big riddle for me.
I want to make film look 24fps video with slow motion footage.
I have 50fps footage. Here is a riddle.
1. Should i make 50fps project media at the beginning, slow down footage (50fps) in Sony Vegas to 24fps and then render as 24 Film? or
2. Make 24fps project media at the beginning, slow down footage (50fps) in Sony Vegas to 24fps and then render as 24 Film?
I tried on small samples but i dont see differences.. Maybe You guys know which way is more smooth, clean and professional and so as to be.

I will be grateful for your help! i have big video to make.

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 12 24p film look slow motion riddle.
on Feb 17, 2016 at 3:48:25 am

I'm also curious on this riddle -

First off - my 60p is your 50p
The way I've learned to slow down 60p footage is
right clicking the event > Properties >
I change the playback rate to 0.4 and then I click Disable Resample -
This is on a 60p project timeline - So I render that at 60p still - or does changing it to 24p as the export even matter? Does that change the look of "perfect slow motion" if not exported at 60p still?
but when I hear people say they film 60p only for slow motion - but every video is final output of 24p
How is my rendered 60p 0.4X playback reacting to this?

Return to posts index

Lukas Samson
on Feb 17, 2016 at 12:24:31 pm

Yea guys anyone can help us with this problem? Pls i think its rly important.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:23:30 am

If you are delivering in 24p then I would start off with a 24p project and add whatever media you want to it and slow it down or speed it up or whatever you need to do. This way you can trust the preview window to show you how it will look at 24 fps.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:56:12 am

A better way to ask would be -
Whats the difference of me delivering 60p footage at 0.4 or 0.25x playback as as 60p
vs
60p normal speed straight up delivered as 24p (because I'm mixing with other 24p) -
But I read there's my technique of 60p at 0.4x playback is the same thing as turning it into 24p but isn't it still just slowed down 60p footage on my 60p timeline - ?
Or do I render that first as 60p (or 24p?!) to put it on a 24p project to deliver?
I'm shooting all 60p footage at 1/125 shutter speed - and all 24p at 1/50 - That may come into affect as well

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 19, 2016 at 12:30:24 am

[Derek Charles] "Whats the difference of me delivering 60p footage at 0.4 or 0.25x playback as as 60p
vs
60p normal speed straight up delivered as 24p (because I'm mixing with other 24p)"
It should look the same (no difference). In both cases you are showing 24 discrete images over the duration of one second. In the first case, those 24 images are spread across 60 frames by duplicating frames. In the second case, the 24 images are represented as 24 frames.
[Derek Charles] "But I read there's my technique of 60p at 0.4x playback is the same thing as turning it into 24p but isn't it still just slowed down 60p footage on my 60p timeline - ?"
Yes it is.
[Derek Charles] "Or do I render that first as 60p (or 24p?!) to put it on a 24p project to deliver? "
You can for better accuracy when editing but you don't have to if you're not doing motion tracking or accurate placement of titles or other images one the video.
[Derek Charles] "I'm shooting all 60p footage at 1/125 shutter speed - and all 24p at 1/50 - That may come into affect as well"
I'm not sure why you are bothering to shoot 60p if you are delivering 24p unless you actually want to make super slow motion video. Otherwise it's just a waste of frames.

~jr

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Feb 19, 2016 at 12:02:50 pm

So that being said - I could drop all of my 60p and 24p footage both on a 24p timeline from the get go and do all my 0.25x and 0.4x playback on both frame ratea as healthy as my past 60 time line editing?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 19, 2016 at 12:08:38 pm

[Derek Charles] "So that being said - I could drop all of my 60p and 24p footage both on a 24p timeline from the get go and do all my 0.25x and 0.4x playback on both frame ratea as healthy as my past 60 time line editing?"
Actually, that was "theoretical". In reality you don't need to do anything! If you drop 60p footage onto a 24p timeline Vegas Pro will conform it to 24p without you doing a single thing. That's why people love Vegas Pro. You can edit all sorts of mixed formats without even thinking about it and it will do the right thing.

You will, however, need to Disable Resample on all of the 60p events so that Vegas doesn't frame blend them.

~jr

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Feb 23, 2016 at 6:10:01 am

That being said - the other way around
Would I have to Disable Resample on my 24p events in a 60p project so that Vegas doesn't frame blend them in my 60p render?

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Feb 23, 2016 at 6:53:39 am

Actually sorry, I imported my 24p clip to my 60p timeline and the blur/ghosting went away when disabling resample, so it works both ways - I'm guessing Vegas is just duplicating frames on the 24p to match my 60p output -
I know if I want 24p or 60p I should just shoot in that frame rate - but if I plan on mixing these two rates again should I still be at 180 shutter or is my 60p to 24p conversion still Ok with 1/125 ?
I've learned 60p is just better for slow motion in general - I see a difference in slowed down 24p footage compared to 60 - is why I ask about the shutter angle -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]