FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inexpensive Multicam Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Jackson
Inexpensive Multicam Editing
on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:31:06 pm

Hello...
I've been a long-time Vegas Pro user, but my dad is wanting to dip his toes into multicam editing.
He wants to do a couple camera angles, with a couple phones, and make a little video.
Obviously, this isn't going to be anything great and he doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars.
Do all the Vegas versions support multicam editing?
I was surprised to not even see that on the product comparison page.
What about the Movie Studio line?

I'm open to other brands.
I started with Pinnacle Liquid, moved to Avid Xpress, continually tried Premiere Pro (just never liked it), worked on Final Cut (when I had to use a Mac), and I've stayed with Vegas Pro ever since.
I figure a Sony product would be the easiest for me to help him with.

I've never liked Adobe Premiere Pro, but I'm an Adobe Audition guy.
I've never liked Sony SoundForge, but I'm a Sony Vegas guy.
Go figure...
JJ

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Inexpensive Multicam Editing
on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:22:36 pm

Vegas Pro got the multicam option back in version 8.0 and has it to this day.
From what I've read, Movie Studio doesn't have this option but you can do a pseudo version of it by using Track Motion to shrink individual tracks and use markers to define where you want to cut from camera to camera.
I don't use any other NLE so I'll let others offer their opinions on them.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:14:44 pm

If you know Vegas Pro and, as Mike said, have Vegas Pro 8 or greater... that is the most inexpensive and the path of least resistance since you will be able to help your Dad a lot with it. Multi-cam in Vegas Pro is very easy to do.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:33:44 pm

The are two free solutions I know.Blackmagic design Resolve 12.Lightworks 12 is also a free program. A websearch on how to use the new multicam edit feature may be needed to wrap your head around how it works.
Conversely, using Vegas 13 trial will give you some time to finish a project.
Then again it can be done the old fashioned way by the use of the trimmer window.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:47:42 pm

How about $31.89 for Movie Studio 12 Platinum!

Movie Studio of course doesn't have the Multi Cam support that Vegas Pro does, but if he is going to be using 2 cameras, manual isn't that bad.

Before I got Vegas Pro, I used Movie Studio ver 12/13 for various 2 camera shoots. The 2nd cam and audio I put on the top track, and the 1st camera and audio went below it. I sync'ed them up via a slate (or hand clap) then mute the audio from the 2nd camera (assuming the best audio was with the 1st camera). Then I would simply cut and delete the sections from the 2nd camera track I didn't want (auto ripple off!!). It's a little messy, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 12, 2016 at 2:22:11 am

You can use George's method in Movie Studio and not delete the clips on top, but rather right click and Mute the video clips not seen. This allows for easier changes to edits, or changing angles. I have done 4 camera angles using this technique.

Multi-cam in VP is really nice, but it can bite you in the ass if you are not careful. You can spend a lot of time recovering from an error, where as the mute top tracks method keeps things aligned better, and easier to make changes to clip effects. Converting your source material to an intra-frame codec like HDCAM,XAVC-I, or Cineform can help with multi angle playback. For AVC, converting an Intra-frame codec or even XDCAM-EX will allow for more angles with higher frame rates.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Feb 19, 2016 at 4:23:21 am

I know it's a different and likely more time consuming way, but I lay out my camera tracks individually and use the composite level to do fades.
In what I do, this gives me the best overall results.
Been doing this since Vegas 4!!
Best

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]