FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best upgrade path from Vegas 8 to render full HD from M2TS in Windows 10?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Sherwood
Best upgrade path from Vegas 8 to render full HD from M2TS in Windows 10?
on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:49:33 pm

Hello,

I have a new Windows 10-based PC and managed to install Sony Vegas 8, which I had on my old PC. It runs, in a manner of speaking, but does not like MTS and M2TS files. Vegas crashes every time I try to render to full HD MP4, or M2TS (Sony AVC settings). Sometimes I get DLL conflicts, other times Runtime errors. I assume the problem is that Windows 10 is not fully backwards compatible with such a dated version of Vegas. But before I spend any money upgrading Vegas, I would like to know how well newer versions of Vegas render MTS and M2TS video. Since M2TS seems to be the standard format of Korean- and Japanese-made smartphones and camcorders these days, it probably makes sense to keep the rendered videos in their native format (M2TS) to avoid loss of quality. But these are just assumptions on my part. Any suggestions on a common sense Vegas upgrade path and rendering settings would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Best upgrade path from Vegas 8 to render full HD from M2TS in Windows 10?
on Jan 31, 2016 at 8:50:39 pm

Download the free 30 day trial of Vegas Pro 13 and see if your problems disappear. If not, you will have to provide more information regarding your source footage, project settings, and render settings. Screen shots of these are the best. Vegas 8 was introduced almost 9 years ago in the days of HDV and was not designed for use with today's newer formats.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Geoff Sherwood
on Jan 31, 2016 at 8:55:47 pm

Thank you so much for the quick response, Wayne. I'll try what you suggested and will let you know how it goes.

Best regards,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Geoff Sherwood
on Jan 31, 2016 at 11:18:45 pm

Wayne,

I downloaded and installed the trial version of Sony Vegas 13 and it works fine with the MTS files as long as I render to AVCHD 1920x1080 60i. I lose hardly any quality from the source file, which is MTS (MPEG-2 transport stream), 1920x1080, 29fps interlaced, upper field first; Audio is 48 kHz, Stereo, Dolby AC-3. But I get all kinds of motion blur when I render to any progressive format. I set rendering quality to Best, Gaussian motion blur, and blend fields.

I selected Match Project Video Settings, and I tried both Smart Resample and Disable Resample, but no luck.

What would be the recommend settings to render as progressive and eliminate (or greatly minimize) motion blur?

Best Regards,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Geoff Sherwood
on Jan 31, 2016 at 11:29:17 pm

Wayne,

I changed the De-interlace Method from Blend to Interpolate and it made a significant improvement to the quality of the rendered video. Now I'm getting somewhere!

Best Regards,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jan 31, 2016 at 11:50:16 pm

Glad you're making progress. Since your source footage is interlaced, the best is to render to an interlaced delivery format. However, if you do want to render progressive, e.g. render for youtube upload, you must use a de-interlacer as you've discovered. Although they work, the de-interlacers in Vegas are not the best. You might try the Yadif de-interlacer. There is a plug-in that has been developed for Vegas Pro. Here is the link. http://www.yohng.com/software/yadifvegas.html There are better de-interlacers available, but they require use of avisynth and virtual dub. For the moment, I'd give the Yadif de-interlacer a try. Most of my current projects are 1080 60P. However, when using 1080 60i clips in those projects, I have used the Yadif plug-in and it seems to work pretty well. And finally, there are better encoders than those built into Vegas--notably Handbrake. There is even a one-click solution to do your encoding in Handbrake that I use all the time. http://www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en Again, glad you're making progress.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Geoff Sherwood
on Feb 1, 2016 at 12:16:00 am

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, Wayne. Although I am strictly an amateur when it comes to filming and editing, I have been using and adoring Sony Vegas for over 10 years now, and very happy to learn - with your indispensable help - that I have quite a few good rendering options with Vegas 13 that will retain almost all of the pristine quality of my MTS source videos. Now I can give myself that belated Christmas present and upgrade the trial version to the full version.

There may not be many amateur users of Sony Vegas Pro, but if there are, we would all benefit from a FAQ or tutorial by some of the experts like yourself on the best ways to render MTS and M2TS files, which are ubiquitous nowadays. Thank you again, Wayne. You've made my day!

Best Regards,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 1, 2016 at 1:50:52 am

Geoff,

So glad that I could be of help to you. I don't think you'll be sorry about upgrading to V13. IMHO, it's a very capable editor and the latest version is also very stable. Just to clear something up, I'm also an amateur, or as I prefer to be called, a "serious enthusiast" (sounds better - LOL). Like you, I've been working with Vegas for about 10 years now and seem to learn something new almost every day. That's the thing I enjoy most about participating in this forum. Thanks so much for your kind words, Geoff. You kind sir, have made my day.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]