'close media file when not active applicaion' not working -sharing workaround

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Belter
'close media file when not active applicaion' not working -sharing workaround
on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:36:38 pm
Last Edited By Paul Belter on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:41:27 pm

applies to SV 12 and probably 13 as well

hi there. I haven't found a solution for this well known bug which means you cannot work with photoshop like you did in SV10. trying to save the file you get sth like 'cannot save your edits because the file is open in another application' which is your SV of course. and having the 'close media file when not active application' option tickled on doesn't help. we all know that.
So many times I benefited from you people here, I am happy to contribute now and share the most comfortable workaround for the bug, that works for me.

How did I manage in the past? Just like everybody:
A
close sv / save ps edits / reopen sv

made me so angry, so i invented another faster workaround

B
save edits as new psd file / come back to vegas / replace old psd with the new one
pros - no need to restart SV
cons - easy to get confused with many psd files and it makes a mess with the project which we - editors most often wouldn't like.

C
so invented even better workaround which opposite to previous two might be my original idea of handling the problem:

why you sometime cannot save your edits in photoshop? because vegas didn't close so called handles of the processes connected with the psd file while switching focus to photoshop. so what? so i am closing those handles manually by myself.

the workaround
download 'process explorer" by sysinternals.com
the app is free, tiny, no installer, very useful beyond video editing, in fact it is a more sophisticated replacement for the system task manager
your psd edits are done and you have 'cannot save the file' error?
open process explorer
hit ctrl+L only on the first opening to view the lower pane of the app
hit ctrl+F - new window opens for finding active handles or dlls.
write a part of your psd file name in the search box, hit search
you get a list of active handles that connect vegas with your psd file.
click them one by one. with each click you will have selected handle highlighted in the main app lower window.
rightclick highlighted handle and choose CLOSE

that is all. you may go back to photoshop now and save your edits and after that you can go back to SV and your psd file will be updated without need to restart SV.

however this manual sounds complicated I use it because this is the fastest and most comfortable solution for me.
after manual closing of the handle you can reopen and reedit your photoshop file as often as you need. changes will be saved and updated in SV as long as you don't close SV

voila
hope somebody finds it useful
thanx
paul

SV12 on Qosmio X70/win 8.1/i7-4700MQ/RAM 16GB/NVIDIA GF GTX770M (3GB)
come find me: facebook/longhairfilms.com
instagram: longhairfilms

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: 'close media file when not active applicaion' not working -sharing workaround
on Jan 31, 2016 at 8:04:24 pm
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Jan 31, 2016 at 8:06:49 pm

An even easier solution is to use the script "Open In Graphic Editor V1". Once set up, you simply select an image on the timeline and run the script. It makes a copy of the image, and opens the copy in Photoshop or whatever editor you choose. Once you've completed editing, save and close. Back in Vegas, the edited photo has been added as a Take, an advantage being that if you're not happy, you can always go back to the original. Works very well and avoids the problem you describe. Here is the link to where it can be downloaded, along with some other very useful scripts. http://sony.vegas.1.free.fr/

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
Re: 'close media file when not active applicaion' not working -sharing workaround
on Jan 31, 2016 at 9:54:40 pm

Oh, it is a bit more complicated. In SV12 you need to run vegas120.exe with administrative privileges to be able to run the script you mentioned. Then it truly might be even faster and easier to workaround the bug we discuss here. More comfortable? Not sure about that. Imagine a psd in which you need to made 15 consecutive edits. You have 15 new takes and 15 new files in your project folder and media bins. I call it a mess. Let's say we have 10 different psd files in our project. You follow me? Even bigger mess. You can delete unused takes from the timeline level. Does it work with psd the same way like with audios? No idea.
But let's leave it aside.
The most important thing is that when you have vegas.exe run as an administrator and you are a happy user of the 'open in graphic editor' script that i loved to use in sv10... you are unable to use drag and drop functionality. Unfortunately you need to run vegas without administrative rights to use drag and drop function within the editor. But then you cannot use 'open in graphic editor' script. You have to choose. I chose drag and drop, so your solution won't work for me and who ever goes for drag and drop.

come find me: http://www.facebook.com/longhairfilms

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jan 31, 2016 at 10:40:25 pm

Paul,

Something must be wrong with your system or the Vegas installation. I also have V12. I do NOT have to run as administrator for the script to work. I can also do drag and drop. As far as the hypothetical problem of having 15 takes, it's a "one-click" option in Vegasaur to remove unused Takes. There are also freeware scripts readily available that will do the same thing. But, if that's your preferred way of dealing with the problem, then by all means, do it. I only mentioned the script for some who might not be aware of its availability and usefulness.

BTW, did you ever get your Qosmio fixed that was "pulsating on render". Just curious about the solution.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Jan 31, 2016 at 11:11:35 pm

administrative right issue
i tried that on 3 machines with win 7, 8, 8.1
if i have set sth wrong with the system I would be happy some guru here could unlighten me. john rofrano, hallo there?
i would be happy tu use the script open in graphic editor again.

pulsating on render not solved yet. got no time. i changed settings in power options a bit so now it is not pulsating although i have 90% of the cpu power available constantly. 90 is ok when i have no time. better than 100 pulsating.

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Feb 8, 2016 at 4:39:20 pm

Hi, I've checked your "solution" to the bug mentioned in the thread. Sorry but it is not a solution at all. Using the script "open in graphic editor" with the option "make a copy/add as take" creates flat jpg copy of the active take. It might be useful when you edit a wedding video and want to add another flower to your picture but when you create complicated animations of graphical layered elements for your video this is not a solution at all. Too bad. I hoped but I am switching back to my method which allows to edit original layered psd file.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 8, 2016 at 7:24:38 pm

Paul,

You're right. It does not work for PSD files very well. When I tried it, it does open the take as a PSD, not a flattened image, and I can make changes just fine in Photoshop. I can save it and close Photoshop with no problem, but once back in Vegas, it thinks the media file is offline. If I close the project file and re-open, it shows the edited image file just fine. That would be a real pain if you have a complicated project file. There is definitely a bug in Vegas. The option to "close media files when not the active application" does not work very well.

When using Photoshop with Vegas, I've also experienced the same problem that the file will not save in Photoshop and usually I've just closed Vegas or saved to a different file name. Since it doesn't happen that often, I've generally just lived with the problem. I've downloaded Process Manager and will give it a try the next time it occurs.

Another annoying thing is that the taskbar icons often disappear when using Photoshop and will definitely disappear when using the Open in Graphics Editor script. Fortunately, there is a script written by the Vegasaur people that will easily restore the taskbar icons. Post back if you need it. In any case, thanks for posting your workaround.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Feb 8, 2016 at 8:02:54 pm

as i can see scripts work differently on different machines. strange.
anyway my method is the only one i know that allows working with psd like i used to in sv10. if you need any additional explanations on it or help, go ahead. it depends how much people work with psd, i guess. when it is occasionally - it is not such a big deal. i use psd constantly, so i would die with all those takes, replacing files... arghhhhh...

the other bug, o yes it is very annoying. if there is a script for it, i'd love to try but i think i have the fastest solution again. i have a script working from outside of sv, it is a combination of keystrokes for a button of my mouse. i have 7 buttons in my mouse so one of them is linked with the script, anytime i see my icons missing - i just hit one button and that is all :)
and the script gives a sequence of commands
alt+0 - give focus to timeline
alt/t
alt/t
alt/c
what leads directly to a command - 'rescan script menu folder' thanks to what icons are back
but i 'd love to try your script
by the way, maybe you know how to toggle video output fx on/off with a keyboard shortcut? i wish i knew how to write scripts, it is probably a piece of cake. but i cannot...
:)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 8, 2016 at 8:56:13 pm

Here is the link to the thread in which the script is posted. Scroll down toward the end and find a post by Altarvic. If you click on that link, you can immediately download the script. To speed things up, I assigned the script the keyboard command "F4". Works very nicely and a bit quicker than Alt-t-t-c.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?forumid=4&messag...

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 9, 2016 at 10:06:43 am

Are you opening Vegas or Photoshop with "run as administrator" ?

I used to open vegas and photoshop as admin, and would not be able to edit PSD files while Vegas is open.

Opening Vegas and photoshop both as normal user allows the "close media" function to work for me. Opening programs with 2 different users like User, and Admin, causes a permissions file lock between the applications.

I am running VP13-B453.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 9, 2016 at 4:12:31 pm

Interesting point. I just checked on both of my machines and they each have only one user account--me, the Administrator. So everything is being "run as administrator"? Should that make a difference or should I create a standard account?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 9, 2016 at 7:52:32 pm

Not exactly. The user can be apart of the administrator group, or an admin level account. I mean when you start an application with "run as administrator," you are effectively starting the application as another user account. You just need to run both applications normally from the logged in account.

Trying to replicate the problem I figured out that if Vegas is "Run as Administrator" the photoshop file is locked. Photoshop run in either normal level, or "run as administrator" still got a file locked error when trying to save changes. Restarting Vegas without the "run as administrator" setting allows Photoshop to save changes while the file is still on the vegas timeline.

I used to run all my versions of vegas as "run as administrator" for reasons I cannot remember, until I ran into this photoshop file edit issue.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 9, 2016 at 8:42:03 pm

While testing further I ran into something odd. When I changed the "run as" settings on vegas and photoshop until I got the file lock error. Photoshop file #1 always opened locked, even if both applications were returned to normal mode, and I even rebooted to see if something was remaining lock due to bug. I then created a photoshop file #2 and placed it next to the #1 on the timeline. #2 can be edited just fine while Vegas is open, and #1 still gets the locked error. This somewhat aligns with Paul's replace work around. It seems like once a PS file somehow has the file lock error, that setting gets stuck/written in the .VEG file. Creating a new VEG file and dropping all three files on the timeline, allows #1,2,and 3 to be edited while open in Vegas. So the locked error is effectively cleared in a new .VEG file. Definitely seems like a bug Sony would have to repair.

I tried several photoshop files open in both vegas and photoshop, and all were able to be edited with no file lock error on a new .veg file.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 9, 2016 at 9:32:49 pm

Aaron,

Have you looked at the security tab in the Properties window for Vegas and Photoshop. Mine shows Full control for SYSTEM and Administrators, but different for Wayne (my user acct). Photoshop permits full control whereas Vegas has only Special Permissions ticked. When you drill down, you find the only permission is for "delete". Perhaps changing the Vegas permission to Full control might solve the problem? Moreoever, Vegas has an INTERACTIVE User which permits only Read and Read and Execute. I have no idea what this does.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 11, 2016 at 1:08:13 am

I have an old version of Photoshop, and my permissions are the same for Vegas and Photoshop.

Have not tried to give User group full permission to both. I cant imagine this would make a difference, since the logged in user is a member a a group with higher privileges. The location I save VEG files to is clearly using the high privilege group since users have no write ability to save the VEG to the location.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:02:05 pm

I tried to recreate this bug in VP11 & VP13, but I couldn't...

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:48:37 pm

I tried to recreate this bug in VP11 & VP13, but I couldn't...

Did you use PSD files? For me at least, it works OK for jpg's, png's and video files. Just not PSD's.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:56:28 pm

[Wayne Waag] "Did you use PSD files?"

Yes

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Apr 18, 2016 at 9:03:12 am

Finally, I also encountered this problem, and here's my observation:
old PSD files created in old versions of Photoshop do not cause the lock, new PSDs do.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Apr 19, 2016 at 9:11:34 pm

Wayne, install Vegasaur 2.5 and test new Auto Offline tool with psd files.

Return to posts index

Paul Belter
on Apr 20, 2016 at 6:08:10 am

OMG Aleksy!
At last!!!
But a question: could you make it work in SV12?
sv13 has bugs concerning effects on tracks in compositing, so i and probably many users prefer to stay with sv12

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on May 1, 2016 at 1:36:45 am

[Paul Belter]

Try the script in this thread. https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/998227 Let me know how it works.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jun 14, 2016 at 11:43:00 am

> "But a question: could you make it work in SV12?"

V 2.6 will do it! In addition, try our "Open in External Editor" solution :)
Enjoy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]