FORUMS: list search recent posts

HandBreak discrepancies in file size DVD Architect 6

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blayde Stone
HandBreak discrepancies in file size DVD Architect 6
on Jan 22, 2016 at 8:25:27 pm

Good morning, hope to get a little insight from the forums here today, just finished shooting an insurance documentation video 2 1/2 hours in length, Taped in HD 1920x1080 (Canon HFG 30)
footage imported to Sony Vegas Pro 11 timeline, rendered to .wmv (6Mbps HD 720-30p) = 6.53 GB
that footage then re rendered into handbrake = 4.3 GB Then draged the resulting file into DVD architect
which immediately stated file size was too big to burn (9.9 GB) please explain why the handbrake properties stated it was 4.3 GB/ then DVD architect says it was 9.9!! I don't understand why the file size changed.
Main objective of this procedure is to get the 2 1/2 hours of video on a regular 4.7 DVD.
Obviously I must be missing something on the procedure?? As always thank you for your input!

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
Re: HandBreak discrepancies in file size DVD Architect 6
on Jan 22, 2016 at 11:22:15 pm

While waiting for JR and others to chime in, you should read this document.
It mentions several important points you should be aware of when creating DVDs.
E.g. "If you’re creating a DVD, render to MPEG-2 for the video."
And most of "Compress, recompress and bit rate settings" Q&A as well as "Workflow" Q&A provide essential info.

And you'd be hard pressed to get the 2 1/2 hours of video on a regular single layer DVD with decent quality.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 23, 2016 at 9:31:08 am

Jorma is spot on.

HIGH Bitrate creates LARGE File size

For the same duration, MPEG2 size is dependent on BITRATE (BR). The larger the BR the larger the final render.

Visually noisy video requires high bitrate. So, fireworks, smoke particles, that you want to see nicely, needs high bitrate. Noisy video due to badly lit footage that is then boosted creates unnecessary noisy footage, this needs to be smoothed. I use NEAT Video to smooth "noise".

Stop using delivery formats, WMV or MP4, to then re-render. Stop.

This is what I do:

1] Render Project to MXF, say the SONY one and use a BITRATE that you can balance between SIZE and QUALITY. It is very straightforward.

2] Use that for rendering to MPEG2.

That is what I do. As to then creating the 150 minute DVD here is the suggestion from Mark's BitRate calculator:

3] Use BitRate Viewer to analyze just where I have Peaks of BitRate and I can then make further adjustments.

The bottom line for you and others are that you are delving into a procedure that has had many many user perplexed - myself included.

So, to recap:

A] For the same duration, HIGHER Bitrates create LARGER files.

B] Treat your project analytically until you get that balance between QUALITY and BITRATE you will then get a file size that will fit onto a 4.7gb.

Ahem: The dirty lil secret - DVD encoding is a process that forces us to use a technology that is in itself restricted to the means of delivery (a 4.7gb platter). I've just purchased an iPad Air 2 with 132gb of memory. Why do I need to restrict myself to 4.7gb just to produce a DVD? Yes I will still produce DVDs. I do this for my client who wants me to do it, although that DVD is ignored as his Presenter will ONLY use my MP4 or WMV output for the Presentation. Why? 'cos her laptop doesn't HAVE a ?"%^" DVD player - douh......

Have fun with experimenting in getting the balance right.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 23, 2016 at 11:14:30 am

No need for me to jump in here, Graham came to the rescue, lol
Yes, Graham has given you accurate and precise details of the correct
workflow to follow in creating your DVD projects properly Blayde.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Blayde Stone
on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:39:37 pm

Thank you gentlemen for your responses, will take some time to review this, and try the procedures. I do see where the the existing technology limits me to 4.7 GB on a single layer DVD. I can always go to dual layer or flash drive to output fo this specific project, Thanks again.If there's anything else I need to know.... let me know!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 24, 2016 at 9:10:59 am

[Blayde Stone] "If there's anything else I need to know.... let me know!"
Well, trying out the various suggestions would bring that to light.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]