FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a fake lens dust effct ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Florian Calmer
How to make a fake lens dust effct ?
on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:45:07 pm

Hi everyone !

I'm looking for a way to add a fake dusty lens effect to my videos. Here's an example : https://vimeo.com/108650530#t=44s

I have a dusty lens texture and when I use the screen blending mode it gives a pretty good effect but to make it better, the dust should only be visible on high brigthness areas. For instance, in the video example I linked, you can't see the dust on the lens until the big doors open to let the light come in.

Is there a way to do this in Sony Vegas ?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: How to make a fake lens dust effct ?
on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:28:14 pm

• In photoshop create a image that matches the resolution of your Vegas Project.

• Create a new layer, turn the eye ball off of the Background layer so you see only the alpha layer.

• Now randomly spot a dozen or so white spots around on picture area on layer 1.

• Bring the Photoshop image into Vegas on track 1. You should see your spotted white dots on screen.

• Now add the Defocus effect, and reduce the "radius" setting until you get the dust spot the size you want.

• Add a G.Blur next to feather the defocus edges.

• Vary the track or clip opacity to suit the final composite.

You can very the point size in Photoshop when you are crating the white dots. This will give you some variance in dust size.

Add a lens flare plugin, if there a light source on screen backlighting the subjects, and key frame the movement to the light source.

Return to posts index

Florian Calmer
on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:42:02 pm

Thank you Aaron,

Unfortunately I don't think that answers my question. Creating the dust texture is not a problem.
Here's an illustration of what my problem is with an image from the web : http://imgur.com/a/HZsDd

So far I have the top image scenario. The dust is blending well but it is everywhere.
I want the dust texture to appear only where there is high brightness. (bottom image)

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:39:37 pm

• In photoshop create a image that matches the resolution of your Vegas Project.

• Create a new layer, turn the eye ball off of the Background layer so you see only the alpha layer.

• Now randomly spot a dozen or so white spots around on picture area on layer 1.

• Bring the Photoshop image into Vegas on track 1. You should see your spotted white dots on screen.

• Now add the Defocus effect, and reduce the "radius" setting until you get the dust spot the size you want.

• Add a G.Blur next to feather the defocus edges.

• Vary the track or clip opacity to suit the final composite.

You can vary the point size in Photoshop when you are crating the white dots. This will give you some variance in dust size.

Add a lens flare plugin, if there a light source on screen backlighting the subjects, and key frame the movement to the light source.

To achieve the backlit dust, use a feathered "cookie cutter" or create a feathered matte that animates with how you want the reveal to look.

Return to posts index

Florian Calmer
on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:44:47 pm

"To achieve the backlit dust, use a feathered "cookie cutter" or create a feathered matte that animates with how you want the reveal to look."

Ok that's what I was looking for !
Amthough, I'm still wondering if there is another way to do that because I'm afraid that might not look very natural...

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:36:31 pm

The dust effect you posted as a sample animates due to light effects in the 3D software that created the image. The dust in the door opening shot is creative, but not very realistic of lighting striking a lens.

The top sample image you posted is how the dust would look in that specific lighting condition.

Return to posts index

Florian Calmer
on Jan 19, 2016 at 10:02:27 pm

Ok thanks !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]