FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning with Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Buzzell
Closed Captioning with Vegas Pro 13
on Jan 18, 2016 at 4:13:50 pm

What other file formats does Vegas output besides MXF that will have Closed Captioning in them. I am able to add the captioning, but I would like to output a different file format other then MXF

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Closed Captioning with Vegas Pro 13
on Jan 18, 2016 at 9:29:01 pm

[Greg Buzzell] "What other file formats does Vegas output besides MXF that will have Closed Captioning in them. I am able to add the captioning, but I would like to output a different file format other then MXF"
You asked this question back in December and the answer hasn't changed. When you render to XDCAM HD/XDCAM HD422 MXF formats, captioning markers are embedded in the media file. Also when you render to MPEG-2 format, captioning markers are encoded in ATSC format. Those are the only two formats that support embedded closed caption with Vegas Pro.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jan 18, 2016 at 9:34:58 pm

Thanks. I know I am rehashing this. But the captioning in the MXF file just does not seem right, and does not seem to work. Again this is for broadcast television, so the CC needs to be correct and in the correct line. I will try an MPEG render to see what happens.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 18, 2016 at 10:44:31 pm

CC works as the embed is in 608 with up to 4 channels, or the format of your choice. XAVC and HDCAM also support CC, its pretty much the MXF format that supports CC.

You may want to read the CC section in the help file for instruction.

If you have long gaps in your dialog, you may need to insert blank or sound/music descriptions. This will make the dialog CC appear to turn off at the end of a sentence.

To import the CC from a file that already has it embedded, you need to go to File> Import> Closed captioning.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 18, 2016 at 11:30:48 pm

Forgot to add EIA-608 is the older NTSE standard, while 708 is the newer DTV standard. Vegas only supports 608. For 708 you will need another app that supports 708 embedding. Most TV stations will have a converter for the DTV side so they can supply both.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 19, 2016 at 2:08:51 am

[Greg Buzzell] " But the captioning in the MXF file just does not seem right, and does not seem to work. Again this is for broadcast television, so the CC needs to be correct and in the correct line."
What problems are you having?

We closed captioned 7 season's (91 episodes) of Painting & Travel with Roger and Sarah Bansemer for PBS with Vegas Pro and my VASST Caption Assistant plug-in and there are absolutely no problems with the captions in our MXF files.

~jr

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jan 19, 2016 at 3:20:22 pm

I am receiving a file in MPEG format with a separate SCC file. I can get Vegas to add the SCC file to the time line, and I can see the CC in the preview monitor. I render it out as an MXF file, and using Media Info software, I can see the CC is there. Since I cannot play the MXF file on my computer, I have been reloading it into Vegas, and it shows CC but it does not play out on the Preview monitor. I have also loaded the file into my On Air server, and the server plays the file, but with no CC.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 19, 2016 at 3:23:56 pm

[Greg Buzzell] "Since I cannot play the MXF file on my computer..."

VLC
(it's a free download) will play MXF files.

Return to posts index

Greg Buzzell
on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:25:51 pm

I have VLC (the latest version), and it will not play MXF files. It crashes VLC.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:15:59 pm

[Greg Buzzell] "I have been reloading it into Vegas, and it shows CC but it does not play out on the Preview monitor."
That's because it's imbedded in the stream. If you want to see them in the preview, you need to use Tools | Scripting | Promote Media Closed Captions to make them caption markers again. Then you will see them in the preview.

There is nothing wrong here. The MXF files contain the captions. Send it off to the broadcast station... you're done.

~jr

Return to posts index

Russ Sturgeon
on May 9, 2016 at 11:43:28 pm

I am in a caption dilemma right now. I have been delivering a broadcast project to a distributor that accepts 608 captions for about 2 years now. Last year I started with another broadcaster who said my Vegas files did NOT contain valid 708 caption information. They agreed to take my SCC files from Vegas and fix my MXF stream. This year they told me they could no longer correct this for me. I took my stream to another national network tech center to verify there was a problem. They were able to show me that the MXF file that Vegas 13 pro created DID NOT have valid 708 data in the 708 container. If you open the MXF file created with Vegas 13 in Adobe Premier Pro CC, you will see that the 708 container exists, but it contains random garbage. I am having to have my SCC file converted to a MCC file with a captioning service, and then rendered back together, the MXF Vegas Pro file and the MCC file, with Adobe Premier Pro CC. This is being accepted by my distributor. Sony has not been able to tell me a proceedure that will verify Vegas Pro 13 is creating a valid 708 container with good information in it. The test they described only indicates that something exists, and they can not choose if they are displaying the 608 or 708 captions. I need a better solution.???

Return to posts index

Russ Sturgeon
on May 11, 2016 at 8:01:41 pm

I have recently had a battle with my broadcaster. I assured them that Sony confirmed that Vegas was "uplifting the 608 captions to a 708 container". Last year they were willing to FIX my MXF files that did not have valid 708 captions using the SCC file that Vegas created, this year they told me they would no longer do that. I took my files to another national broadcaster tech center to verify that my Sony Vegas Pro 13 MXF file had 608 and 708 compatible captions. They were able to show me that the 708 container actually contained random garbage. I am currently having a caption service convert my SCC file to an MCC file, and then using Adobe Premier Pro CC to encode the caption file into the MXF file. Adobe Premier Pro will show you the good data in the 608 container and the garbage in the 708 container. Waiting on a response from Sony.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]