FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Problem

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Miller
Compression Problem
on Jan 9, 2016 at 8:16:06 pm

In the process of rendering a video, I open a small (about 100mb) video in Movie Studio and split it into two separate videos.

I was told by Sony Customer Support to render each video using "Sony AVC/MVC (*.mp4,*.m2ts,*.acv) Internet 1920X1080-30p if I wanted to load the video onto a website and to use the AVCHD 1920X1080-60i if I wanted to burn it to a DVD. The problem is that both versions of each smaller video are about 1.5 GB.

Why/How are these renditions turning into such large files. The website maximum capacity is 1GB, but there videos should be about 20kb each since they are split in half from a 100mb video. Somehow your software is failing to compress?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Compression Problem
on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:44:11 pm

[Joel Miller] "
Why/How are these renditions turning into such large files."
File size is dependent on BIT rate.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Joel Miller
on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:55:58 pm

Any suggestions on what to do?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:13:29 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:16:14 pm

[Joel Miller] "Any suggestions on what to do?"
Confirm the bitrate you are using and then select a lower one.

Here's my render settings:

And results for a 104mb file came out to 41mb. Dunno how you got to 1.5GB - need more info.

You need to supply more information.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2016 at 2:17:15 am

I would use a tool like MediaInfo to determine the bitrate of the original video and then use that as the average bitrate that you render to. This should make the render the same size as the original.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joel Miller
on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:30:56 am

Thanks again Graham. My screen is identical to the one you have shown. It is beginning to look like I'll have to purchase something like Movavi to compress these movies. I just downloaded Movavi's free 30 day "Converter" trial program and tried it out. I then uploaded the result to my website. Oooops! It did not work. Yikes! Do you know of/recommend a converter/compressor software product?
Thanks Again!
Joel

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:16:15 am
Last Edited By Jorma Nippala on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:24:34 am

[Joel Miller] "I was told by Sony Customer Support to --- use the AVCHD 1920X1080-60i if I wanted to burn it to a DVD"

Really? To a DVD?

Which video format should I render as
Burning AVCHD content to disc

Return to posts index

Joel Miller
on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:54:00 am

Yes, that is what they told me to do also. But all I want to do is get the video up on my website and their software increases the size of the movie and DOES NOT decrease it. Am I stuck with having to get something like Movavi? And will that work?

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Jan 10, 2016 at 12:15:17 pm
Last Edited By Jorma Nippala on Jan 10, 2016 at 12:17:03 pm

I cannot understand why SCS Support told you to do so, as it will be recompressed as mpeg-2 video format for the DVD. But if you say so...

Anyway, my tests with several versions of Movie Studio Platinum show consistently similar results to what GB is mentioning in his screenshot post. As said, more info with MediaInfo (tree/text view) on the files you are working with and about your settings might help. And which version and build of Movie Studio (Platinum?) are you using?

Return to posts index

Joel Miller
on Jan 10, 2016 at 2:55:26 pm

Thanks Jorma. Version 12. The Movie Studio Platinum Suite disc I purchased includes Movie Studio Platinum Suite Version 12, DVD Architect Studio Version 5.0, Sound Forge Audio Studio Version 10.0.

FYI: Here is the "back and forth" I had with Sony "tech" support:

Kim N.: Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. My name is
Kim N.. How may I help you today?

Joel: Hi. I'm wondering why the rendering button won't activate.

Kim N.: Ok, which software are you using?

Joel: Movie Studio Platinum 12.0

Kim N.: Ok. In order for the render button to become active you'll need to select a template under the format you're choosing, or currently have selected. Next to where it says the format name on the left side you should see a small black arrow. If you click this arrow a drop down menu will appear that has the templates. Select any one of those templates so it is highlighted in blue and the render button will become active.

Joel: Hold On A second and let me try this

Kim N.: certainly

Joel: Are you referring to the "Render To New Track" dialog box that comes up and lists the output formats

Kim N.: No. First you will click on the Make Movie option, then when you select any of the formats such as MP4, WMV, MPEG-2, etc. You should see a small black arrow to the left of the name.

Joel: OK

Kim N.: For example selecting MainConcept AVC/ACC (Mp4) would be a format. You will then see a small black arrow to the left of the name, and if you select this arrow you'll see a drop down menu appear that will list things like "Sony Tablet", "Apple TV, "Internet", etc.

Joel: OK, When I click on "Make Movie", a dialog box asking "What do you want to do with your move"? I click on "Save It To My Hard Drive" When I do, then the default selection is "Sony AVC/MVC (*.mp4,*m2ts,*avc and I click on the little arrow and groups of selections are labled INTERNET, MEMORY STICK, AVCHD, Blue-ray. Is this what you are talking about? Do you have any suggestions as to which one I should choose?
Kim N.: Correct. This is what you will want to select from is this sub menu. What template you'll want to use depends on what you're looking to do with your video.

Joel: From The Desktop I want to put it on my website and also record it to DVD

Kim N.: Ok, for your website we recommend using one of the internet templates. For DVD you'll want to use the AVCHD template. For best results if any of those templates have an equal sign this means they match your footage from your project. If none of them have an equal sign this is also ok, and you can choose any template you wish.

Joel: OK. I'll give this a try. You might want to stick around for a few minutes if possible.

Joel: Ooops. It looks like this will take a bit. I think I'll cut you loose. I can always get back to you later if I continue to have problems. Thanks for your help.

Kim N.: Absolutely. Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. Have a great day!

Thanks again Jorma!

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:30:38 pm
Last Edited By Jorma Nippala on Jan 11, 2016 at 1:14:23 am

Thanks Joel. Interesting, considering that the only option to burn DVD from the timeline in Movie Studio Platinum is to use mpeg-2.
I'd understand this, if you were making both BD and DVD and use DVD Architect, but otherwise it makes you wonder.

(Technical Info for DVD-Video: Video: Up to 9.8 Mbit/s (9800 Kbit/s) MPEG2 video)

P.S. Check (Help menu / About...) that you have updated to the last build (1183/1184) of MSP 12 (from the SCS site, Download /Updates/All Vegas updates).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]