FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which computer do you recomand for editing ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lucas pelus
Which computer do you recomand for editing ?
on Jan 5, 2016 at 2:34:15 pm

Hello,

I'm gonna buy a new Laptop for playing and editing.
I can go between 800 and 1200 €.
I will take I think a Asus (or Sony).

What would you recommand to look ? What is really important for editing and gaming ?

What i would not take, does exist some bad composants or bad GPU which does not work very well ?

Thanks a lot !

Lucas

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Which computer do you recomand for editing ?
on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:16:28 pm

Read this thread. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=937493.

Bottom line. If you want a laptop for editing, you'll pay roughly twice as much for half the computing power when compared to a desktop. It all depends on your needs and pocketbook.

wwaag

Return to posts index

lucas pelus
on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:27:19 pm

I cannot open the link, it's strange.

I have no choice, i have to take a laptop ...

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:28:51 pm

I cannot open the link, it's strange.

Works fine here. Try to simply copy it and place it in your address bar.

wwaag

Return to posts index

lucas pelus
on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:32:08 pm

Yes, I'm at work, it's blocked i believe ...
I look later ;)

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jan 5, 2016 at 5:29:23 pm

Another reasonable option may be to get a Macbook Pro and run bootcamp.
The laptops are a bit better from Mac. I have yet to get a laptop that is even REMOTELY close to a desktop for Vegas. Just the nature of the beast, you need a great processor, GPU and ram, which are all premiums when putting them into a laptop.
Alienware is a place to look as well, but again, it will cost you.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 5, 2016 at 8:15:53 pm

[lucas pelus] "What would you recommand to look ? What is really important for editing and gaming ?"
Look for the fastest Core i7 Quad Core that you can afford with an AMD Radeon R9 270M or better graphics chip. Have at least 8GB of memory and an SSD drive.
[lucas pelus] "What i would not take, does exist some bad composants or bad GPU which does not work very well ?"
Stay away from AMD CPU's and NVIDIA GPU's if Vegas Pro is your main application.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

lucas pelus
on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:44:39 am

Hey,

Thanky you.
For SSD here's what I found : HDD 1TO + SSD 128 go
Is that what you recommand ?

I do not find any ATI GPU ... All the laptop i check got a GTX 960m and a i7...

Vegas is not my main application, i'm gaming too.
Is that so important to get a nvidia GPU ?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 6, 2016 at 1:01:03 pm

[lucas pelus] "For SSD here's what I found : HDD 1TO + SSD 128 go"
If you mean using an SSD for the boot drive and HDD for the data drive that's a good strategy.
[lucas pelus] "I do not find any ATI GPU ... All the laptop i check got a GTX 960m and a i7..."
Yea, that's the problem. NVIDIA dominates the laptop market. MacBook Pro's use AMD GPU's but I wouldn't recommend one just to run Windows.
[lucas pelus] "Vegas is not my main application, i'm gaming too. Is that so important to get a nvidia GPU ?"
No, it's not that important. It's better to have an AMD GPU but not required. The games will play better with NVIDIA anyway.

~jr

Return to posts index

lucas pelus
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:03:41 pm

Thanks again.

About the dard disk, i do not know anytinh about SSD. Just it's "flash" ? like USB key and it's faster.
I tell you i see, HDD 1 To + SSD 128 go. It's what it's wrotte on the web site but i don't know what that's mean.

To optimize the SSD it's better to use it as the software system where we install all the software ?
And we put the data on the HDD (like the rushs) ?

Is that a big difference between :
HDD 5400 Tpm and 7200 tpm ?
8go DDR3L and 8 go DDR4 ?

Here is what I could buy :
Asus - W10 GL752VW-T4004T (1300€)
17,3", i7-6700HQ, HDD 1To 7200tpm + SSD 128 go, GTX 960M, 8 go DDR4

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:23:34 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:16:03 pm

[lucas pelus] "I tell you i see, HDD 1 To + SSD 128 go. It's what it's wrotte on the web site but i don't know what that's mean."
I'm not sure what that means either. It could mean that it's a hybrid drive with both an SSD+HDD acting as one drive, If it is, that's fine as well.
[lucas pelus] "To optimize the SSD it's better to use it as the software system where we install all the software ? And we put the data on the HDD (like the rushs) ?"
Yes, exactly. Keep the OS and applications on the SSD and all of your video media/rushes on the HDD. If it's a combined hybrid drive then you don't need to worry about that. Keep everything on the one hybrid drive.
[lucas pelus] "Is that a big difference between : HDD 5400 Tpm and 7200 tpm ?"
Depending on hw many streams of video you are working with, at some point you will notice a difference. For one or two video streams, probably not.
[lucas pelus] "8go DDR3L and 8 go DDR4 ?"
No difference.
[lucas pelus] "Here is what I could buy : Asus - W10 GL752VW-T4004T (1300€) 17,3", i7-6700HQ, HDD 1To 7200tpm + SSD 128 go, GTX 960M, 8 go DDR4"
That looks like an awesome system for both gaming and video editing.

~jr

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:09:10 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:10:01 pm

[lucas pelus] "Here is what I could buy : Asus - W10 GL752VW-T4004T (1300€) 17,3", i7-6700HQ, HDD 1To 7200tpm + SSD 128 go, GTX 960M, 8 go DDR4"

• Sticking to Roy's rule of thumb which I agree with, you would want 16GB-32GB of RAM. I would prefer 32GB, but 16GB should be enough for application + disk cache needs.

• [lucas pelus] "I tell you i see, HDD 1 To + SSD 128 go. It's what it's wrotte on the web site but i don't know what that's mean."

• This is probably a Western Digital drive. WD makes SSD drive + 1TB Spinning HDD in a 2.5 form factor. The drive appears on windows as 2 individual drives C & D. Of course it could be an M2 for the SSD too, but I think they would market that.

A Dell XPS 8900 with i7-6700, Samsung 850 M.2, 32GB RAM, and a AMD 390X would be a much higher performing machine in Vegas than that laptop.

Return to posts index

lucas pelus
    on Jan 7, 2016 at 12:57:21 pm

I forgot to check on Dell !
    I let you know ;)

thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]