FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fix extremely slow render times?!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Teegarden
Fix extremely slow render times?!
on Jan 4, 2016 at 2:13:11 pm

I am having very high render times in vegas, and am wondering how to fix this or improve on my render times. I just rendered an 8 minute video in 1080p60fps and it took 2 hours! All my videos take a really long time to render and I need to know what factors into render speed, is it a good hard drive/ssd, RAM, I know some of it is processor speeds.

Here are my PC specs

8 GB memory/RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M275X Graphics Card + Intel HD Graphics 5500
Intel Core i7-5500 CPU @ 2.40GHz

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Fix extremely slow render times?!
on Jan 4, 2016 at 3:08:01 pm

What are your render setting?

Return to posts index

Joel Teegarden
on Jan 4, 2016 at 3:55:57 pm

Audio: 192kbps, 48,000Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA
Video: 59.940fps, 1920x1080 progressive, 8.4 Mbps
Pixel aspect ratio: 1.000
If you need anything else just ask, I'm kinda new to this so I don't know what all you need

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jan 4, 2016 at 5:20:33 pm

So when you go to Render your project, what are you selecting?

Is it HD,or Mpeg2, MP4, etc....What is the template you are using....

Return to posts index

Joel Teegarden
on Jan 4, 2016 at 6:22:10 pm

It's a custom template, I watched a YouTube video and it said making it custom would render faster than the preset 1080p60fps

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 5, 2016 at 5:07:49 am

I'm guessing that since your audio is WMA your video must be WMV. Since Vegas Pro doesn't have GPU acceleration for Windows Media Video your CPU is doing all the work and unfortunately, you only have a Dual Core CPU which is on the low end for HD 60p work.

You didn't say what your source video is or how many effects you have applied. Also does your timeline playback smoothly at 60 frames per second? If not, that will increase render times too.

It's not uncommon for HD WMV renders to take 10x longer to render 60p without any effects so 2 hours for an 8 minute video sounds about right for your Dual Core CPU. If you want to render faster, get a Quad Core or Hex Core CPU that runs at a higher clock speed. You could also use a render format that is GPU accelerated instead of WMV with your current setup. Finally, if you render to 30p it will only take 1/2 as long so you could drop your 2 hour render down to 1 hour simply by rendering at 30 fps and 90% of the people watching YouTube are not going to notice.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:51:47 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Jan 5, 2016 at 8:04:03 am

The m275x is just shy of an HD5770 so make sure to have you GPU selected in Vegas Preferences, and in your codecs that allow GPU set them to automatic. With only 2 cores, you will want as much help as your GPU will give you.

I would try XDCAM-EX.MXF at 720P if you really need 60P, or 30P if you need 1080. You will need to create a custom 1280x720-60P profile. XDCAM will upload directly to YouTube, it is GPU assisted and much less taxing on a weaker system.

Here are some comparable time on my system for a 1 minute AVC-1080-60P clip rendered to:

WMV 1080-60P-16Mbs-VBR - 5m 38s
Sony AVCHD 1080-60P-16Mbs - 2m 59s
Cineform.AVI 1080-60p-40Mbs - 1m 29s
XDCAM-ex.MXF - 1080-30p - 32s
XDCAM-ex.MXF - 720-60p - 24s

You can multiply the times by your project duration.

You may also want to test Quicksync exports and see if that works on your newer system. Most have said that QS does not do more than 720p, but your processor does support the latest version of QS. That way your CPU+GPU would be rendering the timeline, and Quicksync would be assisting on the encoder to MP4. QS would be rendering to Sony AVC codec, and there are other posts on the topic in the forum.

Return to posts index

Joel Teegarden
on Jan 5, 2016 at 9:30:47 am

I would do 30 fps but I have a gaming channel so it actually is really easy to notice, I'm planning on building a 6 core 3.6 GHz PC soon so that should work a lot faster

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 5, 2016 at 12:39:03 pm

[Joel Teegarden] "I would do 30 fps but I have a gaming channel so it actually is really easy to notice,"
Actually it's not! I've had gamers tell me this before and I've watched their videos at both 30fps and 60fps and I can't tell the difference. Maybe it's because most people's Internet connections can't stream 1080p at 60 fps from YouTube anyway. As I said 90% of the people can't tell the difference but I understand that you can and your friends can but most people can't.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]