FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text on Track 2 Appears UNDER Graphic on Track 3

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julie pfeifenroth
Text on Track 2 Appears UNDER Graphic on Track 3
on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:09:42 pm

Having a very strange problem I have never seen before. I have Text on Track 2, Graphic on Track 3 & Track 4, Video on lower tracks. In Instance A, the text appears BELOW the graphics. In all other instances, text appears ABOVE the graphics. I've moved text from Instance A to Track 1 and it is back above graphics. I've tried copying & pasting other instances to same spot as Instance A, and text moves back under. Any ideas?? I have having tracks I don't need.

Instance A - Text Under Graphics

Other Instance - Text Correctly Over Graphics

Instance A - Text Block Moved to Track 1

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Text on Track 2 Appears UNDER Graphic on Track 3
on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:48:39 pm

Very odd indeed. Suggest you create a short loop region around the problem event and do a test render for that loop--just to rule out that it is not just a Vegas "preview" problem.

wwaag

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:45:12 pm

Thanks for the idea. Tried rendering mp4 and text still under graphics.

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:52:45 pm

Try putting a blank 2D track between tracks 2 and 3.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 30, 2015 at 10:17:33 pm

Make the text track 2D (source alpha) or play with Z positioning until the text is foreground to the underlying graphics. I believe the "background" graphic is foreground and at 50% allowing the text to show through.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 30, 2015 at 10:51:10 pm

Just for grins, try turning your GPU off if you are using it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:32:36 pm

Thanks wwagg! I'm still running Pro 10 (yikes, I know), so GPU isn't in the options. Aaron suggested changing the text track to 2D and that did the trick - don't know why only that text was affected, but in this case, I'm ok with that :)

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:26:29 pm

Thanks Aaron. Changing the text track to 2D did solve the problem. Luckily, I don't need any 3D moves on the text, so I think we have a working solution where I don't have unnecessary extra tracks! I still don't understand why it was only happening with Instance A and none of the other text/graphic combos, but I'm a the point where that doesn't matter :)

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:22:58 pm

Thanks Tyson. I tried adding a new 2d track between Tracks 2 and 3 as you suggested and this did fix the issue, however I'm still stuck with an extra track. Going to try some of the other suggestions that have been proposed to see if I can get it fully sorted.

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on Dec 31, 2015 at 2:36:39 am

In Vegas, successive 3D tracks interact together. E.g., consider 6 3D tracks, each containing a "face" of a cube. A 7th parent track can be added (all 6 3D tracks are child tracks). The 7th parent track is also 3D and keyframes in its parent motion will rotate the cube in 3D space.

If you want a text in front, then that track should be above (the parent) and should be 2D.

If the text also moves in 3D but should NOT interact with the cube, then a 2D track needs to be inserted in between to stop Vegas from merging the text and the cube in 3D.

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Dec 31, 2015 at 2:50:18 pm

Hey Tyson! Thanks for the info on the 3D tracks. I did not realize that 3D tracks interact with each other outside of parent/child relationships. Good to know!! But, I still don't understand why, when all my keyframes have the same z-index on the tracks, that Instance A has the text behind and all other Instances have the text in front. Even when I delete Instance A and copy and paste another Instance to that same spot, the text goes behind.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 31, 2015 at 1:28:31 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 31, 2015 at 1:28:59 am

I couldn't help but notice that your text track and graphic track are both in 3D Source Alpha mode. You also have the Opacity at around 50% for the graphic event.

It looks like you've pushed the text behind the graphic on the 3D Z plane so that it's now behind the graphic and showing through it because of the opacity of the graphic.

Open 3D Track Motion and move the text in front of the graphic on the Z axis or the graphic behind the text. Either one should fix your problem.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Dec 31, 2015 at 2:59:29 pm

Hi John, Thanks for jumping in. Yes, you are correct that my text and graphics tracks are all 3D Source Alpha and that my graphics are at 50%.

I have the I don't have any track motion keyframes on the text track and the graphics track has keyframes to make the graphic "unfold" into position. However, the Z settings for all the graphics (Instance A and Other Instances) are all the same so I'm not sure why this Instance A would be different and have the text behind. Also, I can delete Instance A completely and copy and paste one of the Other Instances in its place and suddenly the text that was correct in Other Instance is now behind the graphic in the spot I pasted it that Instance A held.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 31, 2015 at 9:41:20 pm

Too late now since you cut and pasted the other one but I'm sure if you nudged the text track a pixel closer on the Z axis it would have solved your problem. As to why the other events don't have the same problem it's anyone's guess. If tracks and on the same Z plane and one is transparent, I guess Vegas Pro can decide which one it wants to process first. Placing the text in front on the Z axis prevents and guess work.

~jr

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Jan 1, 2016 at 6:42:53 pm

Hi John, Thanks again. I put it back to the way it was and tried your suggestion. I added a keyframe on the text track motion and nudged the Z axis with the arrow keys and got it in front of the graphics. But, I had to add another keyframe at the end of the text clip with an even lower z amount to keep it in front, otherwise, it moved to the back of the graphics as the timeline moved forward.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 2, 2016 at 1:25:47 pm

[julie pfeifenroth] "I added a keyframe on the text track motion and nudged the Z axis with the arrow keys and got it in front of the graphics. But, I had to add another keyframe at the end of the text clip with an even lower z amount to keep it in front, otherwise, it moved to the back of the graphics as the timeline moved forward."
I'm glad that worked. It's important to understand that there are different types of keyframes. You can right-click on any keyframe to select the type. If you changed the keyframe type to a Hold keyframe, you would not have had to add a second one because the first value would be held until it encounters another value. You also could have just set the very first keyframe to that value and it would have held as well. I'm glad you're learning more about 3D Track Motion and keyframing instead of solving it with a 2D title. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Jan 2, 2016 at 3:29:32 pm

Funny you mention that. I was aware of the different keyframe types as I routinely change them to smooth. It didn't occur to me to change it to hold. Thanks for that!

I had set the very first and only keyframe to the new value, but it didn't move the text to the front until I moved the keyframe to the start of the text clip.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 2, 2016 at 7:05:31 pm

[julie pfeifenroth] "I had set the very first and only keyframe to the new value, but it didn't move the text to the front until I moved the keyframe to the start of the text clip."
That's odd because Track Motion keyframes operate at the Track level (as the name implies). They are not affected by what events are on the track.

~jr

Return to posts index

julie pfeifenroth
on Jan 2, 2016 at 11:27:11 pm

[ John Rofrano ] That's odd because Track Motion keyframes operate at the Track level (as the name implies). They are not affected by what events are on the track.

Yes, I thought it was odd as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]