FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I render at 720p instead of 1080p, given this tricky situation?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shandeep Gurupada
Should I render at 720p instead of 1080p, given this tricky situation?
on Dec 29, 2015 at 11:10:43 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a Sony HDR CX190E HD video camera, which has the sensor's effective resolution of 1.3 Megapixels (0.7 Megapixels short of full HD). But it records video in 1080i 50. So I guess, the 0.7 MP is interpolated.

The camera can't record in progressive mode. It features only 50i mode.

Now, in Sony Vegas, I set the project settings as Interpolate frames and 50 FPS progressive output. The blend mode might improve resolution, but the videos become very jerky and blurry during panning and zooming.

Now, the situation is, the sensor is 1.3 MP to start with.
Then, we interpolate to double the vertical height of each frame.
So we lose a lot of resolution.

In this situation, do you think I'll get better (or same) video quality if I render at 720p 50 fps output instead of 1080p 50fps for a given bitrate (I render at 4-6 Mbps to fit 1+ hour of recording into a DVD.)

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Should I render at 720p instead of 1080p, given this tricky situation?
on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:19:27 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:26:01 am

Not sure what you mean. Is this the same camera?

http://www.sony.co.in/product/hdr-cx190e

The link says is has 5MP sensor and full 1080 recording. Setup the camera to record in AVCHD - 1920 x 1080 - 60i fps - 24Mbps +XVColor enabled. If your TV standard is 50i, then use 50i. Then in Vegas project settings, use the match media button on some of the footage. Switch to 32-bit FP Video Levels. Then render Best Full to a progressive format like XDCAM-EX.mxf 1080-30P or 25P(you may need to create and save this profile.) Run tests on both Interpolating and Blend deinterlace. Make sure to create a new project when you go to playback the rendered material on the timeline. Otherwise you will be trying to reconvert the material back to the interlaced.

Create a new Vegas project, switch back to 8bit mode, and match media to the xdcam.mxf, dragging and dropping a clip to a new timeline will auto match. Edit the XDCAM material as you like.

If you are using DVD for storage only, then rendering out to Sony AVC - 720P@4Mbs should be good enough quality for an hour. If you use MC mp4, create a profile that sets the variables at 4Mbs Average and 10mbs peak. Use CPU only mode with MC encoder.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Should I render at 720p instead of 1080p, given this tricky situation?
on Dec 31, 2015 at 3:06:28 am

[Shandeep Gurupada] "I have a Sony HDR CX190E HD video camera... But it records video in 1080i 50... in Sony Vegas, I set the project settings as Interpolate frames and 50 FPS progressive output."
Your camera shoots 1920x1080 at 25 frames per second not 50. That little "i" stands for "interlaced" which means 50 interlaced "fields" that make up 25 full frames. You should not set anything to 50 fps because you have no source that's compatible with 50 fps.

Your project should use the HD 1080-50i (1920x1080, 25.000 fps) template and set your Deinterlace Method to Blend Fields. Only if you have a lot of fast movement should you use Interpolate Fields. The bluring might have been caused by using 50 fps which was blending your 25 frames to make new ones so I would start back with Blend Fields at 25 fps and see how it looks first.
[Shandeep Gurupada] "In this situation, do you think I'll get better (or same) video quality if I render at 720p 50 fps output instead of 1080p 50fps for a given bitrate (I render at 4-6 Mbps to fit 1+ hour of recording into a DVD.)"
DVD's do not support HD video. You should render using MainConcept MPEG2 with the DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream template for video and Dolby Digital AC3 Pro for audio.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]