FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 11.0 Doesnt Recognize Nvidia GTX 260

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Taylor
Vegas 11.0 Doesnt Recognize Nvidia GTX 260
on Dec 29, 2015 at 11:03:01 pm

Hello-

I'm having an issue with Vegas 11.0 and can't figure it out for the life of me. When I go in to Sony Vegas preferences and try to turn 'GPU Acceleration of Video Processing' ON(currently turned OFF), it does not have any other option besides OFF. I'm assuming it should have ON or a GPU Option if it were to recognize my GTX 260.

I have current drivers installed for my GTX 260 and have confirmed that the GPU and Drivers both support CUDA and OpenCL through Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer. I have also installed the CUDA Toolkit and the SDK. The machine is running 32bit MS Vista.

Something that's also interesting is when I try to render AVCHD and run a 'GPU Check' on the 'System' Tab, it returns that CUDA is available.

Here's some screenies:

Anyone have any ideas? Help would be immensley appreciated. My last render took 30+ hours for a 1 hour video. I pulled out an old gaming rig with this GTX 260 in it to do the next render job with hopes to finish the next render job (3 hours) before I die.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
Re: Vegas 11.0 Doesnt Recognize Nvidia GTX 260
on Dec 30, 2015 at 3:30:52 am

I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 and cannot render using GPU either.

Return to posts index

Shandeep Gurupada
on Dec 30, 2015 at 4:58:35 am

I have seen SVP 13 using GTX660ti. Enabling CUDA rendering and not enabling it is a matter of just 10% improvement in rendering times, in my experience. No way you're gonna get 1000% improvement just by enabling CUDA. During rendering, the GPU is used 30% maximum. You need a much faster CPU to get your videos rendered before you die, or you can use a faster preset like Sony AVC.

Return to posts index

Casey Taylor
on Dec 30, 2015 at 5:10:28 am

Gotcha; still bothers me that I can't get it work. But if you're saying I would only see minimal improvement then I don't feel like I'm missing a perk the rest of the world is using.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:55:51 am

The problem is you have only support for "OpenCL 1.0 CUDA" and I think you need at least OpenCL 1.1. On my 5770 which is pretty much minimum for Vegas OpenCL, it supports OpenCL2.0, and the CPU is OpenCL 1.2. Point versions with OpenCL are a big changes, and they do not happen that often.

I would recommend an HD5770, HD6970, R9-270X, HD7970-ghz, R9-290x or 390X to enable the timeline support for Vegas. Right now you are only getting Cuda render assist with the encoder, but missing GPU assist for things like FPS acceleration, blur, crossfades, and 32-bit FP mode assist on the timeline. Select the device that matches the vintage of your specific system. The card list is order of compute power and not release date.

Return to posts index

Shandeep Gurupada
on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:57:13 am

I understand. Not sure, but I have also seen a case of a GTX 285 not being used by Vegas. I guess, maybe, 200 series isn't supported? Just a wild guess, though.

No, not really. You aren't missing out on much.

Look at a screenshot of my rendering. The GPU is hardly being used.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:53:10 am

Back around Vegas 11, Sony actually specified the 5700 series as recommended for OpenCL timeline support. The best 5700 series card is the 5770 which has about 1300 GFLOPs single precision. The NV260 is at around 450 GFLOPs, and the NV650 is about 800, while AMD R9-390X is around 6000 GFLOPs. If you want GPU support in Vegas, you need card that excels in OpenCL calculation and not CUDA.

The GPU does not accelerate MP4 encoding directly in some sort of offload. The GPU is added to compute units that exist virtually on the CPU, and increases your systems ability to perform certain types of complex math. Math that would take longer to complete in CPU only mode. The complexity of your timeline composites, effect types, and a certain amount of motion calculations in MP4 encoding are all sped up by OpenCL on the CPU+GPU hybrid.

Catalyst may change this lack of Cuda support, but even then you will need top NV card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]