FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have Canopus 110 but no cords or firewire

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duffield
Have Canopus 110 but no cords or firewire
on Dec 28, 2015 at 1:31:07 pm

In the end of year cleanout ive found a Canopus advc 110 box. I don't have FireWire in my computer or a user manual. I know FireWire is old tech etc but it's cheaper to buy a FireWire card than a new box. Someone at work can put it in for me. Can someone tell me how I know which type of FireWire to buy and whether some are better/faster with Canopus than others? It's going into a Pc in Australia if that makes any difference. Also will I need to download drivers or anything like that and how do I know how the pins on the back should be positioned? I would be 99% of time using red/white/blue cords out from DVD recorder and in to Canopus box.

This is to be used mostly with Vegas pro.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Have Canopus 110 but no cords or firewire
on Dec 28, 2015 at 2:39:35 pm

The user manual can be downloaded from the Grass Valley site. You'll need an account to be able to download it but it's quick, easy and spam free :)
All you need is a firewire cable, 4 pin to 4 pin as I recall but the manual will make it clear for you.
It's a hardware box so no drivers are needed.

Return to posts index

Richard Jones
on Dec 28, 2015 at 5:45:28 pm

If you use 4 to 4 pin you will need a separate power input. 4 to 6 pin draws the power from the PC itself.

Richard

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 28, 2015 at 8:08:41 pm

You can ebay a card and cable, and Windows will auto load the driver more than likely. The new cards are only like $25 on newegg, and I would go with Startech or SIGG as manufacturers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=firewire%20card%...

If you have the option make sure the Firewire chip is Texas Instruments based, or TI based vs some other type. Avid and other apps generally mandated TI chips for compatibility. That was of course a long time ago when processing DV video was actually formidable for the PC.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 29, 2015 at 5:26:47 am
Last Edited By Amanda Duffield on Dec 29, 2015 at 5:29:55 am

Thank you So much.

It is a work purchase so I must go through certain distributors - I know I can use this one https://www.ple.com.au/Search.aspx?SearchString=firewire%20card

Happy to buy 'texas instruments' for compatability. The cost of the card is not an issue but the cost of buying the whole box again would be probably knocked back.

It will be purchased by head office and sent to me and someone else will install so I need to choose the right one.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 29, 2015 at 5:32:15 am

great thanks

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 29, 2015 at 5:30:47 am

thank you

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 30, 2015 at 5:47:06 am

Ok so here are some silly questions.....

How do I know if my pic has a free pci slot? Is that merely a free panel? I do have free panels where I presume cards are fitted as needed.

The manual says 6-pin to 6-pin cable however this box is old (2008 I think) and when I look at it I don't think it's 6-pin, how do I know for sure? I count 4 'nodules' inside the part where the cord goes, plus most comments here say 4-pin to 6-pin cord to power the device. So I'm thinking I need to buy a 4-pin (Canopus-out) to 6-pin (PC-in) card.

Also I can buy 4pin, 6pin, 9pin cards. Is it worth paying for 9pin included, is that something that may be needed in future or not at all?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:40:43 am

What is the model of your PC? If you are not sure, you can also use a utility like Speccy, go to File/Save Snapshot and post the .speccy file via dropbox or gdrive. This will help us help you on what and where to install the card. It should only take like 5 mins with a screw driver and the PC unplugged to install the new card. Basically just use a slot that matches the size of the plug on the card, and not one of the big long interfaces. Generally the GPU interfaces are colored, and the 1x accessory slots are white.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 31, 2015 at 9:18:05 am

Thank you. Ill have to wait until I return to work to check my computer (oz school holidays). In the meantime, can you tell me if this item negates the need to install anything?
https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/6982/sonnet-firewire-400-and-usb-2-expr...
Although it looks like it uses a card reader which I don't have either.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 31, 2015 at 7:34:24 pm

If you have a laptop and it has that interface it will work. I used to have a similar device for an old laptop to record DV in uncut segments longer than tapes. The interface worked really well. DV is pretty low system requirements by today's computer standards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]