FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas to AAF file?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Helander
Sony Vegas to AAF file?
on Dec 19, 2015 at 1:52:33 pm

Hi!

Me and my brother have made a shortfilm, we have edited it in Sony Vegas Pro 13. Now another guy is going to do a soundmix for us. He wants an AAF file.

I don't really know how that works. I have tried to export it in both Pro Tools aaf and mediacomposer aaf files. All that happens is that all the files gets copied to a folder in their original format. I don't even get a file thats named .aaf.

Can someone explain this to me? Am I supposed to get one aaf file or just all the other files copied? How does this work?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Sony Vegas to AAF file?
on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:24:07 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:32:57 am

I just tried in VP13 File>Export>Pro Tools AAF, and I get the source files copied and an .aaf file. Not sure why your getting the same thing or is not be working.

Depending on your audio track layout, MXF codecs like XAVC, HDCAM, XDCAM have the ability to pass multiple individual tracks along side the video.

If you have the AVID codecs installed, you can render to DNxHD.MOV and that will support 32 channels. Pro tools should understand that format.

XDCAM has 16 mono channels
HDCAM has 24 mono channels
XAVC has 8 mono channels
WMA Pro supports 7.1

You have to get pretty intimate with multi channel audio in Vegas, and bus mapping to the channels you want.

In the end, you may need to just provide an ProTools compatible video file, and then a wav file for each audio track you want to keep separated. That will get the guy working.

Return to posts index

Philip Helander
on Dec 21, 2015 at 8:04:57 am

I checked the log and when I try to export my project to an AAF file, it's starts to load and copy all the files, and then it says it failed and see log for details.

At the end of the log I get this message that I don't understand at all.

Unexpected problem: System.Exception: AppendClipToTrack failed(error code: 0x8012016C )

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 21, 2015 at 4:56:01 pm

Have you run all windows updates, including optional one having to do with .NET?

Are you on the latest version of Vegas 13-64bit (453)?

If you have to install updates or Vegas updates, run Ccleaner both cleaner mode and reg cleanup, then reboot. Then install any updates and reboot before trying export again.

You do have both audio and video tracks in your project, right?

Return to posts index

Philip Helander
on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:08:17 pm

Yes, I have the latest version and yes, it is both sound and video. I've tried it on two computers and it's still nothing that works.

The only thing that does work is if I make a quick small project with some videos and music, then I can export it to an AAF file, it seems to be something wrong with the real main project itself...

I have edited the program in Vegas Pro 11 and now I have to open it with Pro 13 because Pro 11 doesnt export AAF? Right?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 28, 2015 at 7:59:19 pm

That's a tough one to troubleshoot. I would open the project in VP13 and Save As to an new file, then Mute or delete tracks one by one until the project exports successfully. Once you can determine the offending track, you can look at the details. Vegas and especially the export functions are not tested like "MS Word", the export function is probably tested by one guy in a cube somewhere. While the test matrix with all the different software versions, codecs, and plugins is huge.

Return to posts index

atentaten
on Jan 3, 2016 at 12:15:40 pm

When you export to AAF for protools, do not include video tracks.
You can make a copy of your original veg file, remove the video tracks and export that as AAF.
You can send your audio engineer a separate video file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]