FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Sensitive: video clips show black when nested. work fine in own .veg files.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

jim schuler
Time Sensitive: video clips show black when nested. work fine in own .veg files.
on Dec 15, 2015 at 6:27:13 am
Last Edited By jim schuler on Dec 15, 2015 at 7:21:41 am

Vegas pro 13.

I've got 8 segments (separate Veg files) that I'm dropping onto a master timeline to keep everything clean.

If I go to each separate vegas file i can play the movies just fine and watch them in the preview window.

But, when I start to playback with those vegas files when they are nested to another timeline the movie clip drops out leaving a black screen where the clip should be.

Other elements (text, stills) are there.

I've seen references to rolling back quicktime, but those were V8 or V9 posts from a ways back. I can't find any current assistance.

help

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Time Sensitive: video clips show black when nested. work fine in own .veg files.
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:35:31 pm

Could be a bug. Are you using he latest build of Vegas Pro 13.0? Do you have playback GPU acceleration enabled? If so, try disabling it.

I would just render the veg files to Sony MXF HD422 50Mbps and drop those into the master project.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

jim schuler
Re: Time Sensitive: video clips show black when nested. work fine in own .veg files.
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:50:44 pm

I've never rendered into that before. I'll look for the settings. Any guidance on that?

Update: I wiped quicktime from my machine and rolled it back to an older Version 6 that seemed to fix things.

But, now my renders times are HUGE. It's a :30 min project of stills and a handful of .mov / .mpg clips from mobile devices.

I'm not sure if it was my rig's sleep settings, but it ran for 6 hours and this morning it was still churning at only about 25%.

I double-checked all the video tracks and everything is source alpha ( i know 3d alpha will slow things down).

I was rendering a test copy of it to HD 1080 for internet. Normally 3 minutes of video is about 15 minutes on my machine (win 10, 3.5mhz, 16gb ram, nvidia 760).

I have GPU turned off as well.

Return to posts index

jim schuler
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:56:40 pm

John,

Is there any quality issue for doing that MXF render? I'm just reading up on the format now, but my obvious first question would be aren't we compressing only to re-compress more on the master project?

Sorry, I should have put that in my first reply.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2015 at 7:57:29 pm

[jim schuler] "Is there any quality issue for doing that MXF render?"
There shouldn't be... that's what we use to send to broadcast. You can render that a few times before you see any quality loss.
[jim schuler] "my obvious first question would be aren't we compressing only to re-compress more on the master project?"
Yes, but you're compressing to a higher quality than you probably have for your source. You shouldn't be able to see any quality loss.

If you are worried here is a simple test:
  1. Render to Sony MXF with the HD422 1080p 50Mbps template.
  2. Drop the video on a track above the original and line it up so that it's frame accurate
  3. Change the Track Composite mode of the rendered track to Difference
  4. Check the preview to see if you see anything
Your preview window should be totally black. If it isn't, what you see is the quality loss from the render... but I'm guess it will be totally black.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

jim schuler
on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:45:36 pm

Very neat.

I'll try that.

Right now I'm troubleshooting a 30 hr ETA for a DVDA render. It's only 29 minutes of stills and some small, small, clips.

I'm running a separate thread for that. Need to post settings screenshots. It may be my blu-ray familiarity--never had issues with DVD projects before this.

Vegas ended up speeding up to about 1:20 overall. Still going to test mxf.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]