FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improving resolution in Preview Screen in Vegas 12.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Albright
Improving resolution in Preview Screen in Vegas 12.
on Dec 14, 2015 at 4:55:03 pm

Greetings from Colorado.
I am currently editing a seven minute demo reel containing H.264 video and audio files from my DSLR. My desktop computer is running the Windows 7 64 bit operating system with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4200+ 2.20GHz. When I view my proxy video edits and enhancements (color correction, reframing) I can see these in real time on my preview screen, but only in the DRAFT Quarter mode. If I switch to any other mode to improve resolution, the playback stutters.
Would a dedicated graphics card improve my resolution so I can view my preview screen in the PREVIEW Quarter mode (or better)?
Thanks.
Cordially,
Lee Albright/Albright Films Florence Colorado

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Improving resolution in Preview Screen in Vegas 12.
on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:39:10 pm

Would a dedicated graphics card improve my resolution so I can view my preview screen in the PREVIEW Quarter mode (or better)?

Your system specs are way, way under-powered for any serious editing you may want to do with DSLR footage. A new graphics card may help some, but it would most likely be minimal. If at all possible, give some serious thought to upgrading. There are lots of threads here and on the Vegas Pro forum that can be helpful.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Lee Albright
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:24:33 am

Thanks for the help. I'm getting by by rendering a section of a scene at a time. I know it's time consuming, but my system works fine, has yet to crash, and serves me well at the moment. However, I knew an upgrade would be necessary eventually and just thought a dedicated graphics could at least get me up to PREVIEW Half or Quarter for the time being.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:59:46 am

[Lee Albright] "I knew an upgrade would be necessary eventually and just thought a dedicated graphics could at least get me up to PREVIEW Half or Quarter for the time being."
Your processor is too weak to feed a modern GPU. The CPU and GPU need to be balanced in power. Too fast a CPU with a slow GPU and the GPU becomes the bottleneck. Too slow a CPU with a fast GPU and the CPU becomes the bottleneck. There is no way that such a slow CPU can benefit from any GPU that Vegas Pro would recognize.

Here is something to consider: The AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4200+ was introduced in June 2007. That's over 8 years ago! I know, I had one back in the days when HDV first came out. That CPU has a Passmark score of 1099. Modern Intel Core i7's have a Passmark score around 10,000. So your CPU is not twice as slow or three times as slow... it's 10x slower than the CPU that you should have for editing DSLR footage. While you may believe that "eventually" it will need to be replaced, I'd say it's long overdue for a replacement. I'm surprised you can edit in Draft mode at all.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:16:27 am
Last Edited By Wayne Waag on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:17:33 am

Given the age of your system, I'm not sure if a new video card would be available except perhaps on Ebay. Perhaps someone else could chime in. If you "must" live with your current system, there may be some things you can do to improve preview performance. I was forced to do a 3-camera HD project on an old Core 2 Duo laptop earlier this year. Probably, the main thing is your choice of proxy. Even though my source footage was 1080 60P AVCHD, I rendered proxies at 720 60P using MPEG-2 at a fairly low bit rate--a format that doesn't require a great deal of computing power. You might even consider a lower resolution proxy. You might also do selective short pre-renders just to see the effects of your framing and/or color correction. When doing a preview, make sure that the Video scopes are turned off since they require quite a bit compute power, even on pretty high end systems.

I just read John Rofrano's post and I concur completely with his assessment. You really would save yourself a lot of time and frustration by upgrading.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:32:34 pm

You could also see if Sony MXF plays back fine on your computer. If it does, you can render the DSLR footage to Sony MXF and edit with the MXF files. No need to swap back as they are full HD. You can also download the free GoPro Studio and convert your DSLR files to CineForm. I know that CineForm will play back smoothy with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 because that's what I used back in the day to convert HDV files so that you could edit them easily. CineForm is a Digital Intermediary so these are not proxies. You can render with them as well.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Lee Albright
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:54:40 pm

Thank you John and Wayne for your insights. Before upgrading I'll give both your suggestions a try. Thank goodness for the Creative Cow Forums.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Dec 16, 2015 at 5:26:08 pm

A faster computer is really the answer, but you can temporary disable the color correction effect to preview and maybe use preview/auto instead of draft, then turn it back on before rendering. You should be able to see if your color correcting is right on one or two frames, with it set to best/full.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]