FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing GoPro footage in Vegas 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Diels
Editing GoPro footage in Vegas 13
on Dec 11, 2015 at 4:54:32 am

Hey guys,

I have a few questions, I am relatively new to GoPro-editing in Vegas. Although I have used Vegas before, I am not sure how to deal with GoPro footage. I have made a few GoPro vids so far, but with this one I am really struggling.

I just came back from an amazing 2-week trip, in which I made lots of footage, obviously. The entire folder with GoPro-footage is about 163 gigabytes large (not too bad). Up until now, I have always edited GoPro-footage by first converting it to an AVI-file (the original GoPro-file is of course MP4). And after conversion, I edit it in Vegas Studios 13.0.

The problem I am currently facing is the fact that converting to AVI takes an awful lot of hard disk space. An average day of shots is about 6.5 GB. After I convert it to AVI, it takes 46 GB, 8x as much. I have already ordered an additional 2TB portable hard disk, but we all know that importing footage from a portable hard disk into an editing application is not desirable, at least so do I think.

I am wondering if there are ways to make sure the footage does not use these ridiculous amounts of hard disk. I am also unsatisfied with the AVI-files in general, as I believe the quality of the footage does slightly decrease.

I have tried importing the GoPro MP4 directly into Vegas Studios. In general, this should work I think. The problem is that the footage gets shaky/jerky and slow, which may very well be because of my laptop? I am not sure. Any tips to solve this issue would be great as well.

The general question being: help?! How should I edit and use all the footage?!

Thanks,
Teun

Return to posts index

Matt Smitherz
Re: Editing GoPro footage in Vegas 13
on Dec 11, 2015 at 11:05:15 am

You should "convert to avi" (having a cineform less compressed footage to edit) only parts of those files.

you can do that in gopro studio, and transcode to avi those video parts you are interested in.

You can specify multiple in-out avi files to render from the same mp4 file.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 11, 2015 at 5:29:13 pm

[William Diels] "After I convert it to AVI, it takes 46 GB, 8x as much."
What Encoding quality are you using? CineForm defaults to Filmscan1 which, as the name implies, is for scanning in 35mm film. You should set the encoding quality to Medium. That will give you more than enough quality for your GoPro footage.
[William Diels] "I have already ordered an additional 2TB portable hard disk, but we all know that importing footage from a portable hard disk into an editing application is not desirable, at least so do I think."
I edit on an external USB 3.0 disks all the time with no problems. As long as the external disk is USB 3.0 or eSATA and not USB 2.0 or Firewire 400, you should be fine. Unless you are using multiple camera angles but a single stream should be fine.
[William Diels] "I am also unsatisfied with the AVI-files in general, as I believe the quality of the footage does slightly decrease."
There's only one way to find out... place the original footage on a track in Vegas Pro. Place the rendered AVI file on a track above it in Vegas Pro. make sure you line them up to be frame accurate. Then change the Tracks Compositing Mode on the top CineForm track to Difference. Set the Preview to Best (Full) and see if you see any difference. You should see completely black preview because the 10-bit Wavelet technology in CineForm is near lossless, but if you do see anything other than black, then that's the difference from rendering.
[William Diels] "I have tried importing the GoPro MP4 directly into Vegas Studios. In general, this should work I think. The problem is that the footage gets shaky/jerky and slow, which may very well be because of my laptop? I am not sure. Any tips to solve this issue would be great as well."
I am assuming that Movie Studio 13.0 suffers from the same slow GoPro playback that Vegas Pro 13.0 and 12.0 do. I think you have to go back to 11.0 or 10.0 to get GoPro footage to play back smoothly. There isn't anything you can do about this until Sony fixes it.
[William Diels] "How should I edit and use all the footage?!"
You're not going to like my answer but I would not use Movie Studio 13.0 or Vegas Pro 13.0 if my main objective was to work with GoPro footage.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 11, 2015 at 6:44:28 pm

I just completed a 12 day road trip documentary project using roughly 8 hrs of 2.7K 60P GoPro footage. Here was my workflow.

1. For each day, import GoPro footage directly to Vegas Pro timeline and do cuts editing. Even with my limited spec video card (Nvidia 650), I could still get 50 to 60 fps preview set to Preview Full--certainly good enough for cuts editing. In this way, I kept roughly 20% of the original footage.

2. Correct for fisheye distortion. I have a script that uses the Defish filter in Avisynth to correct distortion. I select the events to be "defished", and the script renders a lossless avi into Avisynth for processing. Virtualdub then writes a lossless "defished" file which is then added as a Take to the original event in Vegas. The process is pretty automatic--simply select the events, run the script from Vegas, and it processes all of the selected events and adds the result as a Take--pretty slick IMHO.

3. Apply whatever pan/cropping that seemed appropriate for each event.

4. Then batch render converting the lossless "defished" avi's using an XAVC S Long Gop 1080 60P template.

Once happy, I would then delete the lossless avi files and simply use the XAVC S files in the final project. In this way, there was simply no need to convert the original GoPro files to avi and waste a lot of storage space.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Andrew Phillips
on Jan 3, 2016 at 8:34:11 pm

Great info, thanks!

Wayne, can you share your scripts? Looks like there is no way to PM on this forum so sorry I had to ask here.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jan 4, 2016 at 12:42:40 am

I'd be happy to share them. Just know that they require installation of Avisynth and Virtualdub and that you will have to make some changes to the scripts. If you're a member of the Sony Vegas Pro forum, they do permit PM's so communication is a lot simpler. If not, it might be worthwhile to join since it is another valuable forum for Vegas users.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Riccardo Asnaghi
on Jan 10, 2017 at 8:56:06 pm

Hi, i'm trying to do this but i've some problem at the second point. After i've created an .avs file, VirtualDub didn't read the .avs file. Where is the problem? Thanks a lot
Riccardo

Return to posts index

Thayalan Paramasawam
on Dec 12, 2015 at 5:12:10 am

Hi Sir (Mr.John Rofrano)

I am really having probleum with gopro footage,its not playing smoothly in SVP 12 time line.What should i do?

In previus forums we discuse(use gopro studio to convert to cineform)

In cineform they is 2 format....mov and avi...which should i use?

Thank you
Thayalan Paramasawam

http://www.jptsskyvision.com
System Details:
Motherboard - Asus M5A99X-EVO,HardDrive1 boot C:SSD Kingston,Processor - Amd FX 8350 4.0/4.2 GHZ,Ram - 16 GB,Graphic Card - Asus Gtx 650 1GB DDR 5,Blu Ray Writer - Plextor PX-B950SA,Operating System - Window 7 Pro 64 Bit and Editing Programe - Sony Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 12, 2015 at 3:50:20 pm

[Thayalan Paramasawam] "I am really having probleum with gopro footage,its not playing smoothly in SVP 12 time line.What should i do?"
If you have Vegas Pro 11 see if it edits smoother in 11. Vegas Pro 12 & 13 has broken GoPro support.
[Thayalan Paramasawam] "In cineform they is 2 format....mov and avi...which should i use?"
You want to use AVI which is the native container for Windows. QuickTime MOV is the native container for Mac and should be avoided with Vegas Pro. You also want to use Medium encoding quality in GoPro Studio. That is what Vegas Pro originally used when it shipped with the CineForm codec back in the Vegas 6 days.

~jr

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 12, 2015 at 4:48:45 pm

[John Rofrano]

Vegas Pro 12 & 13 has broken GoPro support.

Not completely correct. There was a major GoPro "fix" in Build 453 in V13. Using my Hero 4 Black, I did an hour long shoot yesterday at 4K. Just to confirm, I imported the footage onto the timeline this morning. At 4K project settings (3840 x 2160), the preview at Best/Full remained at 29.97 fps. I then added a Color Curves Fx and a Sharpen FX. Preview remained at 29.97 fps, even with my weak video card (Nvidia 650). I even changed the Project Settings to HD (1920 x 1080) and preview performance remained the same. For me at least, there are no problems with GoPro footage in the latest V13 build.

I then opened the same project in V12 and I can confirm that smooth playback is impossible. Even at the Preview/Auto setting, preview fell to roughly 2 fps, completely unusable. Conversion to an intermediate is essential.

wwaag

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 12, 2015 at 4:53:23 pm

[Wayne Waag] "Not completely correct. There was a major GoPro "fix" in Build 453 in V13."
OK, I didn't realize that Build 453 fixed the GoPro problem. That's good to know and document here. Thanks!

So the answer to Thayalan is to upgrade your Vegas Pro 12 to Vegas Pro 13 Build 453.

~jr

Return to posts index

William Diels
on Dec 12, 2015 at 10:03:31 pm

So, if I understand correctly, an upgrade to Vegas Pro 13 build 453 should allow me to work with the GoPro mp4 files in Vegas Pro 13 without having to convert them first?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 12, 2015 at 10:10:00 pm

[William Diels]

So, if I understand correctly, an upgrade to Vegas Pro 13 build 453 should allow me to work with the GoPro mp4 files in Vegas Pro 13 without having to convert them first?

Yes. It works well for me for 2.7K 60P and 4K 30P footage, so I presume it would be even less taxing for less resolution such as 1080 60P. Suggest you download the trial version and see if it works for you.

wwaag

Return to posts index

William Diels
on Dec 13, 2015 at 7:03:28 am
Last Edited By William Diels on Dec 13, 2015 at 7:17:21 am

I've tried it on a trial of build 453 and it works pretty good. I still have some jerky footage once in a while, but I guess I am in need of a system upgrade as well. I'll try it and I'll upgrade Vegas asap if satisfied. There is just one thing I am struggling with: the settings for the preview screen. If I use preview > auto, the footage has a sharp contrast. Any tips?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 13, 2015 at 11:25:43 pm

There is just one thing I am struggling with: the settings for the preview screen. If I use preview > auto, the footage has a sharp contrast. Any tips?

Preview is so dependent upon your system specs. Obviously, the best would be Best/Full, if your system is sufficiently capable. I found that Preview/Full works best for viewing 2.7K 60P footage on my system. Even though I have a dual monitor system, I've also found that preview performance improves when restricted to a single screen, which for me at least, is sufficient for basic cuts editing. Again, it's all dependent upon your particular system. Experiment to see what works best for you.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Dec 16, 2015 at 5:38:25 pm

You can also fix the fisheye effect in vegas. I made some presets for 1920 - 1080 wide for the gopro. Add an event fx Deform and set it like mine in the first pic. then open that tracks track motion and set it like mine in the second pic. This is if you used 1920 - 1080 wide on the gopro. This will work on narrow as well but you may need to adjust the parameters some. Once you see what it's doing, you'll easily be able to set it best for your needs. I just look for straight horizontal and vertical lines at the edges of the preview window.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Thayalan Paramasawam
on Dec 13, 2015 at 2:05:11 am

Thank You very much MR.John Rofrano and MR.Wayne Waag to solve my probleums.

Thank You
Thayalan Paramasawam

System Details:
Motherboard - Asus M5A99X-EVO,HardDrive1 boot C:SSD Kingston,Processor - Amd FX 8350 4.0/4.2 GHZ,Ram - 16 GB,Graphic Card - Asus Gtx 650 1GB DDR 5,Blu Ray Writer - Plextor PX-B950SA,Operating System - Window 7 Pro 64 Bit and Editing Programe - Sony Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Thayalan Paramasawam
on Dec 20, 2015 at 2:51:58 am

Hi Sir,

(Mr.John Rofrano)So the answer to Thayalan is to upgrade your Vegas Pro 12 to Vegas Pro 13 Build 453.
After upgrade SVP 12 to 13,its improve to 80% only.Its due to my old working system (AMD Phenom II X4 955).So to solve this probleum need to change to CineForm avi as Mr.John Rofrano says.But i also have latest working station AMD FX 8350 which i upgrade to SVP 13,the gopro footage run smoothly without any probleum.

So i learn something....for better editing without any probleum,we should have more powerful working station.Thanks To Mr.John Rofrano and team member to solve this probleum.

Thank You
Thayalan Paramasawam

System Details:

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 20, 2015 at 5:32:45 pm

[Thayalan Paramasawam] "So i learn something....for better editing without any probleum,we should have more powerful working station."
This is something that most people don't take into account. They purchase a brand new camera that shoots the latest highly compressed formats and they expect to edit it on an 6 year old PC with 8 year old software. I'm not referring you... but just people in general who don't understand the concept that EVERYTHING needs to be upgraded TOGETHER so that the specs match.

If you buy a new camera and you have an old version of software... you probably need to upgrade your software.

If you buy a new camera and you have an old PC... you probably need to upgrade your PC.

You can't just upgrade one link in the chain and expect the whole chain to be stronger. ...a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and a production pipeline is only as strong as it's weakest component.

I'm glad you're getting better results with your upgraded hardware. This is something everyone looking at a new camera should ask themselves... "is my PC and software up to the task of editing this footage?" and if not, don't get the new camera until your other components can handle it!!!

~jr

Return to posts index

Thayalan Paramasawam
on Dec 20, 2015 at 10:57:28 pm

Sir (Mr.John Rofrano)...Yes what you say thats true,any way thanks to you to support me to solve probleums all true the years.

MERRY CRISTMAS....MERRY CRISTMAS....MERRY CRISTMAS....MERRY CRISTMAS

System Details:

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 20, 2015 at 11:55:21 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too!!! :-D

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]