FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data rate for DVD (slideshow)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
Data rate for DVD (slideshow)
on Dec 10, 2015 at 11:36:45 am

I had a fairly long convoluted path ... resulted in recommendation to buy ProShowGold .... which I did to create the HD mpeg files .... 30+ of them used as media into Sony Movie Studio for Blu-Ray creation of Family 35mm slides collection.

After much learning with great help here ... I settled on mpg2 files 60,000 bitrate. non-interlaced
The end result was great, family very pleased with the show and finally seeing the slides which had their last 'viewing' in 1971.

As expected they want copies of the 'disk' so I will also create a DVD version.
Previously had been described I could change aspect ratio on timeline and re-render - however this is over 2 Hr long so won't fit on single DVD.

Because the work is alreday done in ProShowGold & Sony Movie Studio ... very easy task to re-publish out of ProShowGold drop into Movie studio are create as 2 x DVD.

I'll set ProShowGold video file to be 720 x 576 25fps ........ what would you advise as regard bitrate, for the BlueRay mpeg2 I used 60,000 should I stick to that or can I reduce as now DVD not BluRay
No audio .. all that is added with Movie Studio.

Final render out of Movie Studio will be separate DVD standard video & audio streams.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Data rate for DVD (slideshow)
on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:32:35 pm

My rule of thumb is to never go over a constant bitrate of 8,000,000 for a DVD. This assumes that you're using AC-3 for your audio.
If the project is under 70 min. long, I use a custom CBR (constant bit rate) of 8,000,000. Create this and save it as a preset.
Anything longer and I use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum settings.
Here's a link to my preferred bitrate calculator.
I make a few changes to the default settings by clicking the Settings button (lower left) on the main screen.
Click 1 Kilobit = 1000 bits.
Set the Default Audio Encoding to 192 Kb/s (this is the default for Vegas AC-3 audio encodes).
Change the Safety Margin from 1% to 5% (I like to give myself a bit of extra room).

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:37:33 pm

Mike .... agree and understand that for the output render files.

My question was what should I set on ProshowGold to provide the files which will be the media input file into Movie Studio.
In effect I'm using ProShowGold to create the video files to be dropped into Movie Studio time line

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:46:17 pm

Apologies for the misunderstanding Rick.
A quick check of the ProShow Gold site says that a "DVD video disc" is one of their output formats.
I've never used this software before. Does this mean that it will make a DVD for you? If yes, then I'd use that option.
If not, then I'd render to AVI and bring that into Vegas to create my DVD files and use DVDA for authoring.
I wish I could be of more help but, as I said, I've never used that software so I'm going but what I read online.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:03:47 pm
Last Edited By Rick Hughes on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:19:54 pm

Yes ... it does give make DVD option - but not using that function ..
What I am doing is using the excellent slide creation software ... but instead of using the 'make DVD' option.
Using the custom option ,.. to export the video files ... as mpeg video (no audio)

Then use these as the video input files into Movie studio ... add sound, commentary and other videos to get to final output for DVD architect where I'll create menus at that point .. not in ProshowGold.

Wayne advised for Bu-ray 1920 x 1080 50fps to set Bitrate to 60,000 Kbit which I did and all worked fine.

Now going to re-render the Proshow files again as custom video 720 x 576 at 25 fps now that is 5x less pixels than Blu-ray image ... so looking for a guide as to what Bitrate I should set.
I could leave it at 60,000Kbit but assuming I could significantly drop this.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 10, 2015 at 3:03:29 pm

I have no idea how large of an MPEG-2 bit rate file Vegas will accept before it starts choking. On my previous computer, a very high bit rate file choked it completely. The new one handles them much better.
All I can suggest is to try a test with a few different settings and decide what works best for you.
If it was me, I'd render to AVI. Vegas handles that file type easily and the quality should, in theory, be better than MPEG-2.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:23:56 pm

OK ... I know DVD is max of 9,800kbps so maybe I'll drop it to 12kbps (bit of overhead) and use that.

There is a plan B .. to use existing Blu-ray projects and change timeline to match DVD .... I'll open separate Q on that to avoid confusion.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:43:48 pm

A rule of thumb I use is to, at least, double the bit rate of your final delivery format. E.g. if you want to render a blu-ray MPEG-2 at 25 mbps, then the MPEG-2 from Proshow should be at least 50 MBPS. Vegas Pro 13 has no problem with the MPEG-2 at 60 mbps. As far as an avi file, I don't believe that Proshow Gold supports avi. I use Proshow Producer, which does support avi output, but sadly the compressed avi output option is "broken" and simply doesn't work and Photodex has been unwilling to fix it (sound familiar?). You can render uncompressed avi, but the file sizes become enormous.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:54:14 pm

The output file of PSG is MPEG so as Max rate for a DVD could be 9,800kbp then I should set to 19,600kb ?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 10, 2015 at 7:37:02 pm

That should work. Again, there is no problem with higher bit rates other than increased file size and demands on Vegas. If it were me, I would still render to a higher bit rate. In that way, you could render to Blu-ray in the future without having to re-render from Proshow if the need arose. Remember that Blu-ray will look dramatically better for still animation than DVD. However, if all you'll ever want is DVD, then a lower bit rate is fine.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Dec 10, 2015 at 8:06:01 pm

Agree and 'my copy' is Blu-ray for my player & TV .... with uncompressed PCM audio

Just that the 'family' members only have DVD players ... they get DVD with AC3 audio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]