FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended drivers for an R9 390 used with Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Riordan
Recommended drivers for an R9 390 used with Vegas
on Dec 3, 2015 at 10:38:35 pm

I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit & SV 13 on an 850 EVO SSD. i7 4790, Gigabyte GA H97 D3H mobo, 32GB Gskill 1600, Seasonic 620W PSU (48A on 12V rail - plenty enough), 2 BenQ 27" 60Hz 1080p mon's - one VA one IPS panel

Hi all,
I finally got around to buying my first AMD card - an XFX R9 390. However it's been nightmarish getting it to run stably. Screen freezes, artifacts, Radeon Settings panel crashing, corrupted installs \ uninstalls. I've been on the AMD forum, where they have offered help to a point. But if unsuccessful then your in the "troubleshoot and experiment" zone. The release of the Crimson drivers seems more like a beta experiment than a stable driver release. At least that's my experience.

So I thought I'd ask the question here, as my purpose for the card is primarily editing with SV13. For others who may own an R9 390, what drivers have you found to be stable? I'm thinking that maybe 290 card owners may be using the same drivers as the 390?

I managed to get a clean uninstall using DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller, instead of the AMD Driver Uninstall Utility, which was crashing and creating more problems than solutions. So currently I'm on Win 7 generic drivers, with only one of my two monitors hooked up (through HDMI) - AMD support advised only one monitor for present until I get the driver \ AMD software problem sorted. So I'm kind of sitting with a neutered card, and thought folks here might have a suggestion. Are others using just minimal drivers only? would I lose anything by not installing Catalyst Control Center? or the new Radeon Settings control panel with Crimson? Remember I'm new to AMD cards so I'm trying to get a handle on what's what.
Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Recommended drivers for an R9 390 used with Vegas
on Dec 4, 2015 at 6:15:25 pm

[Tim Riordan] "Seasonic 620W PSU (48A on 12V rail - plenty enough),"
Not according to XFXForce.com. Here is what their specs say:
Minimum Power Supply Requirement : 750 watt XFX
Recommended Power Supply : XFX 850W PSU
This is exactly what I suspected when you said it was stability and screen freezes.

You don't need drivers... You need a moe powerful PSU and I recommend 850w just to be safe.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tim Riordan
on Dec 4, 2015 at 8:51:07 pm

Fair enough John

Before I purchased the card I emailed Mark at XFX support, gave him my specs and asked him if he thought I'd be OK. His response:

"Beautiful rig, Seasonic 620 will do great. Its on the cusp, but it will handle it, no problem. We've ran 390s on 550W Bronze psus and they're fine on a minimual build."

So based on my exact specs that was his recommend. I even submitted a follow up to be clear and ask if he thought it wouldn't be prudent to upgrade first and he said no, it should be fine.

So that influenced my decision. But others on the AMD forum also share your opinion. For now I've pulled the card. In two weeks I'll be able to afford a new PSU and I'll have another go with it.

As always, I appreciate your input John.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:03:04 am

The key words in his sentence were "Its on the cusp" and " fine on a minimual build.". The question is, how minimal is your build or put another way... what else is the PSU powering? How many hard drives do you have. A single SSD is not going to tax the PSU like 4 HDD's will. So you have to consider all of your other components. The Core i7-4790 is 84 W which is better than older Core i7 technology. It all adds up. And then all PSU's are not created equal even if they publish similar specs.

Not enough power was just the first thing that I thought of when you mentioned instability so I check the specs and regardless of what XFX told you, their engineers don't agree because the 750w is what they advertise as minimum with 850w being their "recommendation". I would never build a system with less that they recommended specs... that's how to ensure stability. PSU's are NOT the place to skimp. They can cause all sorts of intermittent problems.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tim Riordan
on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:50:00 am

I guess I had considered the key words in his sentence to be "Seasonic 620 will do great." and "it will handle it, no problem."

After all, remember I had given him my exact specs. That's what he was referencing off of. Sure you can quote whatever portion of it you want, but look at the whole sentence and what was said in terms of the context in which it was asked - that I had given him the specs. And followed that up with a query to see if, again, my specs would be suitable.

As I acknowledged to you in my response, fair enough, I will definitely get a new PSU. But be careful about quoting him out of context.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]