FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiscreen Editing - Fargo Style - Sony Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Clark
Multiscreen Editing - Fargo Style - Sony Vegas
on Dec 3, 2015 at 6:38:24 pm

Hello all, I have the most recent pro version of Sony Vegas. I am trying to find the easiest way to edit in 3 or 4 screens at the same time. Not sure if anyone out there has been watching the Fargo TV series, but I love the way the editor works. He uses multiple screens in very fun ways. One screen will slowly come over to share the screen with another. Then it will slowly wipe back to one scree, then three...etc. Not sure if this makes sense, but I am trying to find the easiest/quickest way to do this. I have a 90 minute project where I want to employ this style quite a bit, but the only way I know to do it would mean I have an insane number of tracks.

Thanks in advance. Hope this questions is decipherable.

Joel Clark

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Multiscreen Editing - Fargo Style - Sony Vegas
on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:54:59 pm

I've never seen the effect you are talking about but if you just want the ability to zoom and swipe screens in and out and have 4 up or 3 up at a time you can use Track Motion do do that. You can keyframe the zooms or swipes so that you only need 4 tracks to have 4 things on the screen at once.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joel Clark
on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:52:16 am

Thanks John, this is the way I have always done it, but it feels cumbersome. Also, if I need to make changes to the edit, its a lot more work to move key frames around. Because I will be doing this on a 90 minute film, I was hoping there would be some plugin that I could use. Oh well... I suppose I will do it "old school." thanks for the reply.

Joel

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 6, 2015 at 1:46:37 pm

[Joel Clark] "I was hoping there would be some plugin that I could use."
I tried to write one and Vegas Pro just doesn't have the capability of doing what's needed so the plug-in is 1/2 finished and was never released. :(

I believe you want something like this: FCPEffects Screen Splitter

Unfortunately that only works for Final Cut Pro X and as I said, I tried to write one for Vegas Pro but the functionality I needed just wasn't available to complete it. I had most of it working but there was no way to shift the video under the crop because the crop is a window on top of the fixed video frame. It would need to be done with a Mask and there is no Script API for masks in Vegas Pro so I stopped development on it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Dec 5, 2015 at 11:35:56 am

Not an easy task to do it in Vegas :(
multiple tracks, masks, possibly nested projects (depending on the complexity of your project)

Vegasaur.com

Return to posts index

Sean McNally
on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:14:38 am
Last Edited By Sean McNally on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:17:30 am

Excalibur might have what you are looking for. I haven't used it myself, and there isn't really any good video documentation of it online, the best I could find is a russian tutorial on it. He goes over the multi-cam options here:

(Skip to 3 minutes in)

Again, as I've not used it myself, and the video doesn't go in-depth on this feature's functionality, I can't vouch for it, but it looks like this might be what you want.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:33:55 am
Last Edited By Aleksey Tarasov on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:37:36 am

> "Excalibur might have what you are looking for."

No. OP needs "split screen" effect.
Here's an example of what he's talking about.

Return to posts index

Joel Clark
on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:50:36 am

Thanks guys. I do know about key framing - this always feels slow to me. But I suppose it is the best way Vegas has to do about it... Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]