FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best render format for Internet?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duffield
Best render format for Internet?
on Dec 2, 2015 at 1:30:04 am

I have a 15 min mpeg2 captioned DVD made by me in architect which my boss asked me to convert to "something I can put on our website preferably MP3". I thought MP3 was an audio file? Anyway, what is the best render format and how do I deal with the captions? I presume I bring it all into Vegas and then what do I export the captions as?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Best render format for Internet?
on Dec 2, 2015 at 2:05:45 am

The best render format for the Internet is MPEG4. You can use the Sony AVC or MainConcept AVC encoder to create MPEG4 files. The MainConcept encoder is better at lower bit rates so I would use that with one of the Internet 1080p templates.

As for captions, I don't believe there is any way to import them or imbed them into an MP4 file. You will probably have to manually recreate them as Title Text overlays. I'm guessing that you don't really have captions on a DVD anyway. You probably have subtitles with are handled completely different.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 2, 2015 at 6:52:53 am

Thanks.
I have subtitles I made in DVD architect.
Lately I have been importing scripts from word, synchronising with caption assistant, converting to titles/text, then rendering to MP4 and that is working (so, open captions), so I could do that.
However I'm still not understanding how I give someone a clip along with separate captions which they can upload for people to turn on and off. Do I need to ask the client what platform they will play it on? I suspect it will be played on you-tube so I thought it would be simple to export the subtitles from architect to Vegas and then run the script to "export captions for you tube". Would that work? And if so would I then have to render the footage to something other than MP4?
Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 2, 2015 at 11:37:32 pm

[Amanda Duffield] "I'm still not understanding how I give someone a clip along with separate captions which they can upload for people to turn on and off. Do I need to ask the client what platform they will play it on? I suspect it will be played on you-tube so I thought it would be simple to export the subtitles from architect to Vegas and then run the script to "export captions for you tube". Would that work?"
Yes, that will work for YouTube. Vegas Pro has a script to export close captions as YouTube captions. There are several script that Vegas comes with to export several formats.
[Amanda Duffield] "And if so would I then have to render the footage to something other than MP4?"
Here's the problem. Windows Media WMV files can have TEXT captions but I believe they only display in Windows Media Player so it's not really an option for the Internet. I don't know how to embed cautions into an MP4 file. On the Mac you could add captions to a QuickTime MOV file. I don't think that MP4 files can contain embedded cations. They always have those side files that the viewer has to use.

~jr

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 7, 2015 at 2:25:55 am

John's quote: " I don't know how to embed cautions into an MP4 file. "

Just to fill you in on this. My workaround is :
Pull in script from word document using Caption Assistant.
Synchronise using Caption Assistant.
convert to text using Vegasaurus Text Generation Wizard.
Burn to MP4.
This is how I get 'open' captions onto mp4.
I couldn't go the Mac option because we don't have macs here and the add-on to burn in the captions was only for the paid version of 'Pro' or whatever it's called.
I learned it all from this site.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 7, 2015 at 2:35:08 am

Hi John,
I tried this.
As far as I know I followed to the letter.
Problem is, it's letterboxing but I have the 'do not letterbox' ticked by default.
Plus maybe this template 'too efficient' because I feel like my captions (or subtitles or whatever I need to call them - they're text boxes) are ever so slightly out and it's really annoying me.
I wish I knew enough about settings to make my own templates.
the original footage is mp2 and I'm trying to get it to mp4.
Maybe because I chose 1080p and should have chosen 720p?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 8, 2015 at 12:00:06 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 8, 2015 at 12:00:40 pm

[Amanda Duffield] "Problem is, it's letterboxing but I have the 'do not letterbox' ticked by default."
What aspect is the video on the DVD? SD 4:3? or SD 16:9. That will determine how you have to render to not get letter boxing.

Also what are your project settings?

~jr

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Dec 4, 2015 at 12:31:26 am

[Amanda Duffield] "my boss asked me to convert to "something I can put on our website preferably MP3""

We must have the same boss. It took me forever to get him to start selling "Blu-ray Discs" to clients instead of "Blue-ray HD-DVDs"

John mentioned the hassle of attaching captions to any kind of downloadable format but it sounds like your boss just wants this on YouTube to embed on a website so I'd go that route with an mp4 and caption file and skip any sort of download.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Dec 4, 2015 at 4:42:33 am

ha!thanks.
I've just finished doing just that.
Best way to go I think.
I work in education - sadly, noone know how to use computers in education.
Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]