COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Lindman
Dynamic RAM Preview Question
on Nov 30, 2015 at 8:41:29 pm
Last Edited By Evan Lindman on Nov 30, 2015 at 8:45:42 pm

Hey all!

I am editing two wedding videos.

I have 16gigs of ram, an i7, and an HD 5850. I also have Neat Video Noise Reduction on my clips, and some color correction, etc.

I've messed around with the RAM preview setting, I allocated more RAM (like up to 11gigs), and the preview STILL doesn't improve/play back smoother. I mess around with the quality settings all the time. It's just hard to edit when the preview window is on Preview quality or Draft.

Can I get some guidance on this? I know my PC meets the requirements to do some heavy editing.

PS: I am editing off a 4TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive. I don't think that would be the problem, seeing that other clips with no Noise Reduction plugin play fine.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Dynamic RAM Preview Question
on Dec 1, 2015 at 1:05:19 am

I also have Neat Video Noise Reduction on my clips

Most likely, this is the problem. Try disabling neat video during editing and then enable it for render.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Dec 1, 2015 at 1:35:54 am

When I want to Preview a sample that uses NV or other FXs I make a selection and hit SHIFT+B. This will generate as much of a Preview that my RAM is set to. The other way is to make PreRender files. Both of these methods are purely volatile, meaning that as soon as I make adjustments the Builds and PreRenders will disappear.

Other considerations are that the use of even a USB3 may be another choke point; use of GPU may assist IF the FXs are "GPU-aware"; noise reduction s/w needs to do a lot of work, and you may consider making an initial DI before adding additional FXs such as CC.

The first thing I had to learn/accept was that VegasPro does have limits when Previewing compared to other NLEs. But don't think that other NLEs aren't in the same boat, it's just that they DO create rendered Preview files to view in/at RealTime FPS. However, as I said, VP does have assists that we can employ.

I hope my "clumsy" explanation goes some way to assist you to manage your expectations of VegasPro - it is a rather remarkable NLE.

G

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 1, 2015 at 5:09:36 pm

You are not understanding the Dynamic Ram feature properly Evan.
The Dynamic Ram does not affect straight playback previews!
The Dynamic Ram Preview is for when you create a loop region on your
timeline and then press shift+B and wait till its done, then you hit play.
(The more Ram you allocate, the longer the Ram preview goes)

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Evan Lindman
on Dec 2, 2015 at 7:54:40 pm

Ahh, it's just for a loop region if you want to pre-render playback.

Then what can I do to make my Video Preview window play things back more smoothly? (I already know how to toggle the quality) I know I have a fine enough machine. I did a ton of reading... Apparently Neat Video is very resource heavy and will slow down playback a lot. It was going to take me six hours to render a six min video because I had used Neat Video's Denoiser enabled.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 2, 2015 at 8:54:22 pm

Very Powerful CPU Processing power is what really kicks Vegas into
performance overdrive!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index