FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Footage on Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick McKenna
4K Footage on Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:04:19 pm

Hi all,

This might be a stupid question guys but I recently upgraded my filmmaking assets. I got a Panasonic GH4 to shoot 4K footage and I got a Lenovo Y50 (i7 processor, 16GB RAM) to handle the 4K footage. I'm currently trying to save my money now to upgrade my editing software as up until now I was working on Sony Vegas MS 10. Just to keep me going, I have Movie Studio 10 on my new Y50 laptop (I need a laptop for portability). I tried importing some of my recently shot 4K footage into Movie Studio 10, and surprisingly the clip imported but if I try to import and more than one clip, Vegas Movie Studio freezes. I'm praying that it's not because the laptop that can't cope with the 4K footage. But I'm hoping instead that the case is that Movie Studio 10 is crashing because it can't handle the 4K footage. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? I know my editing software is dated but I'm just biding my time until I can afford to upgrade it.

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
Re: 4K Footage on Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10
on Nov 16, 2015 at 11:29:33 pm

I have recently shot with the new Panasonic DVX200 and I shot footage at 50 megs per second (mpeg4) and it worked perfectly on my timeline which surprised me.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 17, 2015 at 12:39:41 am

[Patrick McKenna] " I'm praying that it's not because the laptop that can't cope with the 4K footage. But I'm hoping instead that the case is that Movie Studio 10 is crashing because it can't handle the 4K footage."
Since Movie Studio 10 is a 5 year old 32-bit application, I'm guessing that it can't handle 4K video with it's limited 2GB of data memory. You might want to download the 64-bit version Movie Studio 13.0 before you pass judgment on your laptop. It only cost $49.95 USD to upgrade if you like it. Considering you paid a lot more for your camera and laptop, it's small price to keep your software up to date.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Patrick McKenna
on Nov 17, 2015 at 7:48:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm thinking about maybe getting the Movie Studio upgrade to keep me going for another few months before I can afford a more professional upgrade. However, I have read online that Movie Studio 13 converts 4K footage into lower resolution proxy files while editing on the timeline. This doesn't bother me particularly as long as I can render the footage out in a high quality HD file. From reading the specs on Movie Studio 13, am I right in assuming that it can import 4K files but can't files render out as 4K??

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 17, 2015 at 11:57:26 am

From a post on the Sony Movie Studio forum:
4K in Studio 13?

Movie Studio can work with XAVC video at 3480x2160 at up to 60p.
Video can also be output as 3840x2160 XAVC at 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p and 60p.
And, yes, you can use XAVC in an HD project and pan and zoom over the video.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Nov 17, 2015 at 1:33:34 am

You simply need to upgrade Vegas Movie Studio or preferably to Pro,
and you will be ok.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index