FORUMS: list search recent posts

I use Sony Vegas, but a film festival wants ProRes...

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Kopchu
I use Sony Vegas, but a film festival wants ProRes...
on Nov 13, 2015 at 10:11:17 pm

This is assuming my current film project gets accepted into my hometown's film festival (fingers crossed, boys). Here's what my festival wants if my film is selected for exhibition:

All short films submitted must be available for exhibition as a CIFF-approved ProRes digital file. Short films will be transferred temporarily onto CIFF’s secure and private hard drive system for presentation in one or more of our compiled short programs. BLU-RAY AND DVD WILL NOT BE SCREENED FOR EXHIBITION.

CIFF-approved ProRes digital files are defined as .mov files encoded with ProRes 422 or ProRes 422(HQ). We will not accept ProRes LT, 4444, or Apple Animation Codec files, among other files not listed. Exhibition files must be sent to the CIFF office on hard drives that will be returned post-festival.

Seems like whatever they want, it'll have to be made using an Apple. But I'm using a Windows 7 machine running Vegas Pro 13. If my film gets selected, what are my options to make it in the way that my festival needs it?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: I use Sony Vegas, but a film festival wants ProRes...
on Nov 14, 2015 at 1:29:16 am

You might need an apple to encode the actual Prores format.

You could try sending them a test using FFMPEG encode to Prores, as they may not even know the difference.

download FFMPEG, then use the following command:

ffmpeg -i "input-filename" -vcodec prores -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 "output-Filename".mov

Add -profile 2 or 3 to the command to get Normal or HQ

Not really sure what you project master footage was encoded in, but make sure you final render out is roughly the same quality as the ProRes HQ. Something like Cineform-High, HDCAM-SR, SR-Lite, XAVC-I or at least XDCAM422 before the encode to ProRes. Clearly your final render should be in 32-bit Video Levels if moving to 10-bit codec levels.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 14, 2015 at 2:08:51 am

I would be weary of the "ProRes-like" file that FFMpeg produces. It does not perform well on a Mac and can be spotted pretty easily as a fake. As Aaron said, send them a test file first just to be sure if you go that route.

You may need to get a friend with a Mac and Apple Compressor to create a "real" Apple ProRes 422 file for you.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 15, 2015 at 1:37:32 pm

So they are looking for 10 bit 422 file format. Try installing Black magics Desktop video which will install a codec with the same specifications as prores, in fact Quicktime will indicate and present that the file is Prores 422 at least it has for myself in such cases. Once installed the codec will sow up in the quicktime section of the render menu. Render a section and send it to the festival for testing. Now before everyone gets exited be aware that Blackmagic Design prefers to work with Apple hardware so the codec they have developed for their recorders work great on a Mac.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Nov 15, 2015 at 2:11:34 pm

Take a look at FootageStudio 4K. They claim that they support ProRes 4:2:2 encoding on Windows PC.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Nov 25, 2015 at 1:00:28 am

Best option probably for you right now, is to use someone's Mac and
encode your film to the ProRes format, to be on the safe side given the short notice.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]