FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overlay Compositing Mode Turns Film Black

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Dietrich
Overlay Compositing Mode Turns Film Black
on Nov 12, 2015 at 4:16:22 am

Just thought I'd post here and see if anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong: when I add overlays to my video and put the compositing mode on overlay (so that the background of the overlay is transparent instead of darkening or lightening the image), any clips that don't have an overlay on the track above them turn completely black. Ultimately my goal is to just have certain overlays (like scratches and burn marks) to be visible on the film but not the background of the overlay to make the source film either lighter or darker (I want it to be transparent).

Also, on a side note, is there away I can link audio and film clips together so that they always stay together when moved?

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 12 and look forward to any and all replies!

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
Re: Overlay Compositing Mode Turns Film Black
on Nov 12, 2015 at 6:50:35 am

> "Ultimately my goal is to just have certain overlays (like scratches and burn marks) to be visible on the film but not the background of the overlay to make the source film either lighter or darker (I want it to be transparent). "

Make the overlay track a parent of the source footage (Parent/Child relationship). Place the other clips on a separate track.

> "Also, on a side note, is there away I can link audio and film clips together so that they always stay together when moved?"

Group them (select and press G)

Return to posts index

Emily Dietrich
on Nov 15, 2015 at 12:06:56 am

Thank you! Do you know of any tutorials that can show me how to exactly create such a parent/child relationship?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Nov 21, 2015 at 11:07:57 am

Simply try and google Sony Vegas parent/child compositing and you will see
tons of instructions on how to easily do and understand all about it in Vegas.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Miles Odonnol
on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:56:52 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Vegas's handling of the "overlay" compositing mode is unlike that of other applications. I would expect overlay to darken portions below that are low luminance, without much affecting things that are high. And transparent areas on the upper track should do nothing. But that is not what I am getting. I would expect that I could use "overlay" to bump up contrast in discreet areas. But it is not working that way. A) It does bump up contrast, grossly, even when there is no clip on the upper track! [Maybe I want a pivot point slider.] B) It is not at all discreet; it ignores transparent areas.

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:48:11 am

The common math behind Overlay composite for a is base is:

if a<0.5 then 2ab
else 1–2(1–a)(1–b)

This makes dark areas darker and bright areas brighter. I think Vegas Pro follows this rule.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]