FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best VHS To Computer Method For Editing Into Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jackie Luffy
Best VHS To Computer Method For Editing Into Vegas
on Oct 30, 2015 at 3:43:16 am

Hey Guys, I currently am looking to edit lots of old VHS footage in Vegas but can't seem to find out what tool is the best for this process, I currently have a Pinnacle Video Transfer that I have been trying out but when compared to the actual VCR playing the actual tape the quality is better on the VCR, I was looking into getting a different device, one that will quite literally take the ACTUAL quality of the VHS and put that on your computer so I can put it into Vegas, I checked out this site which lists the top 10 best tools and they say the Diamond one is the best, but here is where I am stuck once again because when I look at video reviews it seems like everyone is saying that the quality is just "okay" I am not sure if they mean that in the sense because VHS quality is crap or if they mean its okay in transfering over to the computer meaning its not the same quality as on a VCR you know what I mean? All I want to know is if you guys can suggest for a fact or personally know a tool that will just take whatever quality is on a VHS and put that EXACT same quality on your computer, please let me know what you guys think :)

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Best VHS To Computer Method For Editing Into Vegas
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:11:36 am

Get a Grass Valley/Canopus ADVC110 Converter. If the tapes are really bad you may need the ADVC300 version that has Time Based Correction circuits (this is what I have). This will give you the best quality. The tapes will be capture in DV25 AVI format.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jackie Luffy
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:27:51 am

I should have mentioned I heard that the Canopus has issues working with Windows 7 and above, which I have windows 7, I also cannot afford the Canopus because it is 200 plus $, I was wondering if there was a cheaper device that could do a similar job of converting quality exactly the same as it is on the VHS, thanks for the suggestion as always!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:39:05 am

I have a system with PCI still, and so use an Osprey 100 card. These cards were designed to work in broadcast environments and have a great ability to deal with sources like bad VHS. I just use the Vegas VID capture application to capture an uncompressed AVI. From here you can edit directly, compress to something like DV.MFX (25Mbs) or output to .MP4

I have a Blackmagic Shuttle USB3 and its pretty good too, but I prefer the reliability of the osprey card. I have had issues with the shuttle device not working when I needed it.

Return to posts index

Richard Jones
on Oct 30, 2015 at 11:14:51 am

I've never had a problem using a Canopus ADVC 110 with Windows 7 and Vegas Pro 10 or 12 and have been doing this for a number of years with very good results. Pewrhaps eBay may find you one at a decent price?

Richard

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 30, 2015 at 1:45:01 pm

[Richard Jones] "I've never had a problem using a Canopus ADVC 110 with Windows 7"
Same here... works great.
[Jackie Luffy] "I was wondering if there was a cheaper device that could do a similar job of converting quality exactly the same as it is on the VHS"
This is an area where "you get what you pay for"... Cheap device = cheap quality. Analog to digital converters are expensive. You might want to try eBay or a service that converts tapes to DVD's.

~jr

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 30, 2015 at 1:51:11 pm

Another option is to buy a used mini dv camcorder that has the pass through feature. The tape transport doesn't need to be working as long as the electronics do. Hook your VHS deck to the analog inputs and firewire out to Vegas.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 30, 2015 at 2:26:50 pm

[Mike Kujbida] "Another option is to buy a used mini dv camcorder that has the pass through feature."
That's a good idea. I forgot that some of the DV cameras have passthru.

~jr

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 30, 2015 at 4:16:37 pm

[Jackie Luffy]

You've never stated the type of source material you have or what you want to do with it. If you want to import your VHS footage into Vegas and then do extensive color correction, noise filtering, etc, then by all means, capture to DV or better still, uncompressed AVI. However, if you simply want to convert your VHS footage so it can be "played" on a computer or a TV using a media player, or do simple cuts editing, add transitions, and a few titles, another approach would be to use a good DVD recorder which will do the hardware encoding to an MPEG file (probably better quality than first converting to DV and then rendering). Then use an editor (probably not Vegas) which will easily smart-render to your final delivery file. Regardless of which approach, you also need a decent VHS deck if you want "good quality", preferably one with a built-in TBC.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Jackie Luffy
on Nov 1, 2015 at 8:44:52 pm

Thank you so much for all of your help guys!!! I was going to buy the Canopus if all else failed but this ENTIRE time I had the DV Sony Handycam that had the pass through this whole time, for years I never knew this and was using the crap Pinnacle Video, and I cannot believe the quality, it is perfect, exactly the same how it is on the actual VHS!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:42:45 pm

Jackie, I'm glad to hear that you solved your problem. Pass through is the same as using a Canopus so you get a DV AVI file identical to your source footage.
Happy editing :)

Return to posts index

Jay Mitchell
on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:55:21 pm

I have two Canopus 110's and will sell you one for a fair price.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]