FORUMS: list search recent posts

High & Low volume talk to camera best rectify approach please

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jenny gold
High & Low volume talk to camera best rectify approach please
on Oct 17, 2015 at 2:21:46 pm

Hi guys,

We use sony vegas 13 pro and this request is about what to do, tools fx to use and best sequence advise for some clips volume speak to camera too low and best way to boost and other footage media is clipping....then how best to get overall volume for final project mix down if all media event clips are on time line

In short situation firstly low volume footage; my partner did some talk to camera and the mic label volume recording at the time was not set correctly subsequently playing back in windows Media player some of the video footage event media clips we want to use are very low volume and over in sony vegas volume master meter shows between -18 to -24 I am using headphones as well have tried right clicking on media clip audio select Switches and normalize but frankly seemed no different.... (Do not really want to reshoot video again...)

Please advice how best to increase this volume please and what audio fx tools what order to use etc a newbie to all this beginner here so kindly step by step feedback would be much appreciated!
**** I have the use of Izotope Rx3 new to that as well (and youtube tutorials always seemed based on music and let alone hard to follow none on speaking voice etc realy)

HIGH Volume clipping...Other media events in a few places at times when speaking the volume is a bit to high at times and sometimes clipping again what and how to do here?

And finally, what about best way to do the final project mix down where maybe needed is the mixture of a few various media event clips and all their volume trying to be consistent with each other how to do for final mixdown of them combined please?

many thanks
Jenny

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: High & Low volume talk to camera best rectify approach please
on Oct 18, 2015 at 12:01:05 am

If you don't know how to mix audio (which is beyond a simple forum post) you should process your audio through The Levelator and let it do all the hard work of leveling your audio for you.

If you want to do it yourself you should start with the Track Compressor that is on every audio track by default. The more compression you add the more it will smooth out the audio. The lower the threshold that you set, the lower the levels will be affected. I'm guessing you will need a fairly low threshold with very high compression but honestly, Levelator will probably do a better job than someone who doesn't know what they are dong (no offense meant, but people spend years learning how to record and mix audio and it sounds like you didn't get the recording correct which is making it even harder to mix).

BTW, the reason that Normalize is not doing anything is because normalize will only raise the highest peak to 0dB FS. If you already have a peak at or close to 0dB, it won't affect any of the lower audio. You would have to split out the loud sections to allow normalize to raise the just lower sections.

Your best approach is to use The Levelator.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Oct 18, 2015 at 12:08:40 pm
Last Edited By jenny gold on Oct 18, 2015 at 12:39:31 pm

Thanks John for explaining, The Levelator is not supported now it seems they say on the link website.
I have windows 8.1 also it says it was for pod casts anyways?
However did try it seems to work fine and exported it from vegas as wav back in and wow made a significant difference indeed!
Infact some area are even slightly clipping now any suggestions?

(yes the mic level at the time on Camera was too low and battery for mic problem hence low audio)

Track Compressor you mentioned I presume that can only work on entire track for audio rather then per individual event media clip basis?

I could maybe pull up some video youtubes how to use that Track Compressor etc bound to be some.

*****please advise here as follow my thought workflow on doing this....
Should I just create a new project file and import just the media clips with same typical low volume that was done same day and try playing with Track Compressor rather then a project file that has low and clipping at times volume?

My thoughts were I could then render out once volume is better as an mp4 etc those low volume now corrected and add them to the ok volume clips also now rendered as mp4 and create one overall final media event mix down I need that had the low and high volume video talk to camera in

If I have a few nmedia events that their audio volume is clipping at times what is the simple easiest way to help correct this approach and to use please?

many thanks
Jenny

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 18, 2015 at 12:21:29 pm

[jenny gold] "The Levelator is not supported now it seems they say on the link website."
All that matters is if it works.
[jenny gold] "I have windows 8.1 also it says it was for pod casts anyways? Would it still work for what I want to video clip and its audio track with windows 8.1 and Sony vegas pro13 even?"
What is a podcast? It's an interview! What did you shoot? An Interview!!! It should work fine. Their point is that it was designed for leveling out spoked words and doesn't work well on music.
[jenny gold] "Track Compressor you mentioned I presume that can only work on entire track for audio rather then per individual event media clip basis?"
Don't let the same fool you. You could place it on individual events but you don't want to be modifying hundreds of events. You want to smooth out the overall track. But yes, you can place it on an individual event.
[jenny gold] "Should I just create a new project file and import just the media clips with same typical low volume that was done same day and try playing with Track Compressor rather then a project file that has low and clipping at times volume? "
You could do that but I would use the Levelator. It will probably do a better job. That's why I recommended it.
[jenny gold] "My thoughts were I could then render out once volume is better as an mp4 etc those low volume now corrected and add them to the ok volume clips also now rendered as mp4 and create one overall final media event mix down I need that had the low and high volume video talk to camera in"
I would not re-render the video and loos quality just because of the audio. I would only render the audio clips and use them with the existing video. So my advice is to use the Levelator to smooth out the audio and then use that audio in your project.
[jenny gold] "If I have a few nmedia events that their audio volume is clipping at times what is the simple easiest way to help correct this approach and to use please?"
I believe you said that you have iZotope RX. I would use there DeClipper for restoring the clipped audio.

~jr

Return to posts index

jenny gold
on Oct 20, 2015 at 11:41:05 am

Thank You so much indeed John for your help and advice very useful and kind of you much appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 20, 2015 at 12:54:13 pm

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]