FORUMS: list search recent posts

new build i7 4790k or i7 5820k ? your thoughts.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Jones
new build i7 4790k or i7 5820k ? your thoughts.
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:50:49 pm

Ok So Aaron Star Talked me into building my self a new i7 editing rig instead of updating my old AMD system. I figure Why throw more money at a 5+ year old system since it only has pci express 2.0

So my Question is should I upgrade to the i7 5820k 3.3 6 core or
the i7 4790k 4.0 quad core ?

I know the 4790 has better single core performance but will the 5820k give better preformance with vegas for rendering with 6 cores instead of just 4 ?

Thank You

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
Re: new build i7 4790k or i7 5820k ? your thoughts.
on Oct 15, 2015 at 11:39:00 pm

I would choose the option for more cores. Your overall performance will be higher considering the OS has more cores to delegate to complete tasks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 16, 2015 at 10:41:15 am

[Mark Barton] "I would choose the option for more cores. "
+1

In 2015, I wouldn't build anything less than a 6-core. I built a 6 core 3 years ago so even that is old technology. Now have a 12-Core Mac Pro and it rocks (dual 6-cores)!

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Jones
on Oct 16, 2015 at 11:42:43 am

Ok the i7 5820k it is then

WOW are those 12 core chips are expensive I definitely cant afford one of those right now. my Max price for a cpu is $500 right now

Thank You for your input !

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 16, 2015 at 11:46:27 am

[Ryan Jones] "WOW are those 12 core chips are expensive I definitely cant afford one of those right now. my Max price for a cpu is $500 right now"
Yes, thats why the new 12-core Mac Pro's are so expensive and why I bought the older 12-Core Mac Pro which uses two 6 core chips.

~jr

Return to posts index

Ryan Jones
on Oct 19, 2015 at 11:13:49 am

My wife Just got herself a Imac with 27" 5k retina. It's the first apple computer i have laid my hands on in 25 years and I am actually loving it. I might just have to save up 8k to get me a new 12core mac for next xmas :-) and learn FCP

But in the mean time I pulled the trigger on my new build should have the parts from newegg in 5 days.

I went with the 6 core 5820k i7 , XFX 290x GPU and 32mb 2133 ddr4 plus water cooling so I can OC it to hopefully 4.2-4.5ghz

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 19, 2015 at 11:41:46 am

[Ryan Jones] "It's the first apple computer i have laid my hands on in 25 years and I am actually loving it."
It's kind of hard to explain to PC users who have never used a Mac but once you experience the combination of Apple hardware with OS X, it's really hard to go back to using clunky Windows PC. I know I couldn't go back and so I use Mac applications for everything except Vegas Pro and QuickBooks. ;-)
[Ryan Jones] "I went with the 6 core 5820k i7 , XFX 290x GPU and 32mb 2133 ddr4 plus water cooling so I can OC it to hopefully 4.2-4.5ghz"
May I ask how much did you spend? That should perform extremely well with Vegas Pro. Good luck with it.

~jr

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Oct 19, 2015 at 3:46:27 pm

Interesting comment .. not always the same view for others -
I worked for a company that was 100% MAC based ......however in sheer performance level the MAC's started trailing way behind what you could get for same spend with a PC.

In the end the company (3000 people at that point)moved everyone off MAC to PC platform, at the time everyone was so pleased, as we all got an immediate hike in performance on your works machine (laptop or desk top)

Never come across any major enterprise that still issue MAC's as standard ...

Now a few years on ... many companies offer BYOD and users have Macbooks and iPad ... but still usually self funded.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 19, 2015 at 8:57:43 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Oct 19, 2015 at 9:11:04 pm

[Rick Hughes] "Never come across any major enterprise that still issue MAC's as standard ..."
Really? How about IBM! They're pretty major. They now give their employees a choice of PC or Mac and the Mac's are flying off the shelves. There is a huge waiting list and people are willing to wait. I hardly see anyone in meetings with a PC laptop anymore. Most developers use Mac's now. An overwhelming number of tutorials for programming languages and frameworks are given on Macs. And PC sales are dropping while Mac sales are climbing so someone must be buying them and leaving their PC's behind.

But don't take my work for it. Hear it from IBM's CIO himself:

IBM to Purchase Up to 200,000 Macs, With 50-75% of Employees Ultimately Swi...

BTW, my first Mac ran circles around my PC with exactly the same specs! I had a Lenovo laptop and got a MacBook Pro with the exact same processor, memory, and everything. In fact, I took 4GB of memory from the Lenovo and put it in my MacBook Pro, that's how comparable they were in specs. On the Lenovo with Windows 7 with 8GB memory I could load maybe 2 virtual machines before it would bog down and become unresponsive. On my MacBook Pro running OS X Snow Leopard with 8GB of memory I could easily run 4 or more vm's without any lagging. So my experience was quite different than yours. I moved to the Mac because it's performance was far superior to a comparably speced PC.

But as you said, everyone's experience is different.

~jr

Return to posts index

Ryan Jones
on Oct 19, 2015 at 4:52:36 pm

Yes it was truly a joy using her Mac I loved it a lot !! Very different than pc definitely a learning curve though :-) I had the hardest time just trying to copy and past lol .

I paid just over $1300 but I splurged on a new case and power supply too

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 19, 2015 at 9:00:16 pm

[Ryan Jones] "I paid just over $1300 but I splurged on a new case and power supply too"
It's amazing how prices have come down. I paid about $2600 when I built my 6-core 3 years ago but back then the processor alone costs $1000. That's the price of being an early adopter. That's why I bought a second-hand Mac Pro. I let someone else pay the amortization. ;-) Good luck with your new PC.

~jr

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 19, 2015 at 6:59:02 pm

I run both, and worked in a nearly entire Mac environment for 4 years, I still prefer Windows 7 over ANY Mac OS. To me (and this is my opinion) Mac is clunky and counter intuitive in my view. The way they go about doing things just makes no sense to me. Sometimes 4 steps to do something that in Windows is a right click and drag.
I WILL say the OS and hardware LAST and have way less issues that PC's no doubt, and my Mac Pro is a beast in regards to hardware.
Since I left that position and am all self employed again, even having 3 Mac's in my possession, I will boot them in Windows and nearly NEVER open the Mac side unless I am using Pro Presenter or my Blackmagic ATEM Switcher control.

I know each user is different, and maybe building my own PC's since Windows 3.1 is part of the comfort, I don't know. I will say, that we should all be versed in both platforms this day and age.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 16, 2015 at 2:58:30 pm

I have the 4790k chip running a Windows 7 Ultimate machine and it REALLY handles Vegas well. I have an AMD 290 GPU with 4GB ram and I can edit 4K (from a Panasonic GH4) pretty easily.
If price IS a concern, don't hesitate to pull the trigger on this chip.
That being said, if you CAN afford the 6 core, do it, I just couldn't afford one when I did.
I also have a 12 core Mac Pro like John, but have had a few issues with Vegas not running so smoothly and crashing VS my 4790K machine. Also, I can only put in a Radeon HD 7950 in it before needing a second power supply.

Just my thoughts...

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 20, 2015 at 2:31:09 am

I recommended the 4970k for the low cost of the system for the amount of performance.

The 5820k is a good device, but the 5830k and 5860k are the chips you want to maximize the chipset. The 5820k has half the PCI lanes of the other 2 CPU chips. This means you might be giving up expandability on your system, or the ability to operate GPUs and PCIe SSDs at full speed.

The 58xxk CPU will also give your DDR4 speed on your memory over the 47xxK CPU.

However, I doubt the poster will be maximizing the system configuration to the extent of PCIe SSD, and so the 5820k might be a good price performance.

Return to posts index

Ryan Jones
on Oct 21, 2015 at 11:46:58 am
Last Edited By Ryan Jones on Oct 21, 2015 at 11:48:18 am

The difference in price between the 5820 and the 5830 is around $200 I have not received my order yet so I could send it back in exchange the 5820 for the 5830 but would it be worth the $200 extra ?

Can you explain what you mean by maximizing the system configuration for the pci ssd. ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 21, 2015 at 7:50:03 pm

The PCIe lanes have to do with the motherboard design. The 5820 has 20 lanes directly connected to the CPU, and this is where your GPU gets connected. That means you can only run a single GPU at 16x speed, and one more device at 4x speed.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x99-ch...

The higher end chip has 40 lanes directly connected to the CPU, and so allows you to run two 16x GPUs, and one 8x device like an PCIe SSD or Blackmagic capture device. All without crossing the DMI bridge to the x99 chipset. Not crossing the DMI bridge leaves bandwidth pretty much dedicated there for storage operations.

The 5820 will work just fine if you configuration is a simple single GPU, storage, and no other add-on cards. Apps like Resolve have the ability to use multiple GPUs at the same time. Conceivably you could install 2+ GPUs into an x99 chipset and run at near full speed on them.

You really just need to dig into the specifics on your motherboard you have ordered. Then determine if you really need the extra lanes or not.

Return to posts index

Ryan Jones
on Oct 22, 2015 at 10:28:51 pm

I dont think that will benefit me I don't plan on running another GPU and all my SSD's are SATA III.

Thank you for the info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]