FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow render performance

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Bonino
Slow render performance
on Oct 14, 2015 at 5:57:25 pm

Hello, it's now a while i'm using vegas pro 13 (453) for video editing and since i can remember it always took a lot to render anything. Having seen other user comments and tutorial around i'm starting to think that, with my build, i should have much faster renders.

I usually render with main concept acv/acc 1080p, 29.970fps, high profile, 18mps max, 12mps avg and using CUDA

My config is:

AMD FX-8350
GTX 660 ti 2gb
16GB ram 1866Mhz Dual-channel

I did the math and i get an average of 8fps and from what i learned that would be how much i'd get if i rendered with CPU only, but i do use the CUDA rendering, and sony vegas even says that CUDA is available. I see other people with a very similar config, using CUDA, get around 20-25 fps.

What do you think?

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
Re: Slow render performance
on Oct 14, 2015 at 8:18:12 pm

I don't have any advice, but I too am not happy with my rendering speed. It may be pretty good, but I don't have a reference to compare it to. Where are you getting your fps calculation?

I'm working with a Dell 8700:
i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
L2 Cache Size 1024
8 GB Memory
256 SSD for OS and SVP, renders to 1TB 7200rpm WD
Intel HD Graphics 4600 integrated
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 (think it's inop, had to stop using due to rendering freezups)

I edit and render hockey games for coach review, and can render a 1:10 game at 1080p/30fps/6mbps in about 2.5-3 hours. If I do more than one game at a time, bump it up to 8 hours. Lately it was freezing up on double games, and sometimes single. I tried everything including reloading OS. Finally changed video card in SVP 13 preferences to the Intel card, CPU processing only, and seems to be working again, but a little slower.

I will spend money on a graphics card or SSD receiving drive if it will give me a substantial increase in speed, but not for a few minutes. Is this a good speed, and should I be happy with it? There's a LOT of opinions on best graphics card to decrease rendering time, and I've read a lot, but it's still as clear as mud. I'm drowning in terms like SLI, CUDA, OpenCL, and different architectures. Keeping up with the Codec discussions is mind bending.

I need mp4 rendering, and at a good speed. I'd love 1 hour rendering for a 1 hour game at 1080p/30/6-10mbps, but I don't know if that's possible. Can someone tell me if I'm crazy, or what to buy and method to do it?

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
on Oct 14, 2015 at 8:34:42 pm

Arron Star stated this in another thread I was reading:

"The 290X or 390X would be your best "vegas" card for a new system like yours. Vegas only supports adding one GPU to the OpenCL group, and hopefully in the future we will get multi GPU abilities. So adding a GPU with the highest Compute units you can afford is the best thing for Vegas.

The ADM Fury X has 64 compute units, while the 390x and 290x have 44 compute units. You can roughly arrive at the compute units number by dividing the stream processors by 64."

If I'm reading that right it would be his opinion it works very well with Vegas and helps rendering times.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 15, 2015 at 2:22:25 pm

What do you think?

A never ending Dilemma!... lol

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Roger Smith
on Oct 15, 2015 at 11:28:16 pm

I don't know. I don't know if new cards have been released since that discussion, or if he's revised his opinion. That's why I'm searching for answers.

But thanks for the input.

Is that even good render times I'm getting now? Do I need to spend money for faster times?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 22, 2015 at 10:35:31 pm

So happy i dont mess around with GPU Cards, lol...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]