FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Video Effects

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Miles
Using Video Effects
on Oct 10, 2015 at 4:14:46 am

Hi to the group,

I know that there are two different methods below of adding a Video Effect in Vegas Pro.
1. On the track (as a "Track FX")
2. In the Video (Preview) Window as a "Video Output FX"

To use an example: Let's say you had one event and one video track. Then, (between these two methods) is there a difference during rendering ?

A bit deeper..... is let's say you want to do two things to your original video:
1. Add a video effect like "Sony Unsharp Mask"
2. Increase the resolution (picture size)

So does the sharpen happen before or after the resolution change and does it matter where the sharpening plugin is inserted (track or output)?

I know what I want to do..........I want to change the resolution of the original video file and then sharpen (similar to what you do with an image in Photoshop).

But looking at the Vegas video process chain it appears that effects are only applied to the original because resolution change only occurs during rendering.

Am I correct ?

Appreciate any comments.

Mike

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Using Video Effects
on Oct 10, 2015 at 8:03:46 am

[Mike Miles] "Appreciate any comments."
Seriously, getting more from less means capturing video at a better reso. What we can do with Stills is great. But others will have their opinions.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Oct 10, 2015 at 8:24:42 am

There are more places to add effects. So things are even more confusing. Effects can be added to the clip in the project window.
Effects can be added at the track level either to the left or right of the default composite. Depending on which side of the composite the effects are on will result in the effects to be applied to the track or to any children of the track.Speaking of track in the compose section (green filmstrip with an a in a square to the right of the track volume) in the dropdown menu choose custom and apply effect there. And you've already mentioned the event and the preview window.

Placing effects on the preview window assigns the effect(s) to the entire timeline.
For resizing your image, Vegas does that automatically but this can be disabled in the pan/crop section. In short the whole chain has more variants than appear on the surface.There are tutorials at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/vegaspro/videos
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Mike Miles
on Oct 10, 2015 at 6:26:20 pm
Last Edited By Mike Miles on Oct 10, 2015 at 10:11:53 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

re. Grazie

I'm very aware that garbage in = garbage out. But, you have to work with what you have. That's why I need to increase the resolution and then (to some degree) clean it up for presentation.

Either I'm incredibly dense, or you both evaded my question. It's my fault for the initial "long winded-ness". Here's the short versions of the same question I had:

1) Does Vegas apply the plugin video effect before or after a resolution change ? (Russ you probably answered this...I think)

2) How would you change resolution and then sharpen (or for that matter use any video effect) ?

Thanks again,

Mike

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Oct 10, 2015 at 6:59:26 pm

> "Does Vegas apply the plugin video effect before or after a resolution change ? "

I think AFTER (but I'm not 100% sure).

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Oct 10, 2015 at 7:53:38 pm

Ok. I have not evaded the question but I'm sorry that I related too much info.

Import the footage and place on track in timeline. Vegas will automatically resize to fit project unless the feature is disabled in the pan/crop event (stretch to fill frame). That is the first thing Vegas does. Then add effect which in this case is to use the sharpen filter. So this will resize first then apply filter.

Conversely, import footage to project media panel and apply the Sony Sharpen filter to the media then place on timeline where it is automatically resized to fit the project unless disabled as mentioned earlier. In this example the plugin is applied before the resize.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Oct 10, 2015 at 8:02:44 pm

same thing with rendering:

Media FX and Event FX (before Pan/Crop) are applied before the resize.
Event FX (after Pan/Crop), Track FX, Video Output FX are applied after the resize.

I guess so...

Return to posts index

Mike Miles
on Oct 10, 2015 at 10:10:37 pm

OK Russ, thanks.

So, you're saying that the project properties is what sets the resolution and then when you add an effect that is done after the resolution change ?

And just to make sure I'm right on this. If you used Project Properties to "Match" the value(s) of your source video and then applied effects the only time a resolution change would happen.....is if you changed it in the render custom settings.

Right ?

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Oct 11, 2015 at 2:23:29 am

We are getting into things that Sony keeps close to itself. For a definitive answer to the question it must be answered by the developer. That said In my experience the statement of
[Mike Miles] "the project properties is what sets the resolution"
is true.

[Mike Miles] "And just to make sure I'm right on this. If you used Project Properties to "Match" the value(s) of your source video and then applied effects the only time a resolution change would happen.....is if you changed it in the render custom settings"

To say the only time would be incorrect, the pan\crop tool and the track motion tool can still mess with the resolution. IF those two tools are left untouched, then the statement holds true.

However I do not know as to the math Vegas uses to resize images. For myself the best solution has come in two forms. The first was a copy of Fusion which is now free. In Fusion I can decide which equation to use for resizing and blah blah blah... but it is a bit of a learning curve that is well worth the effort. The second solution is BCC UpRez plugin, it has a very nice algorithm and is well worth the dollars if the need for upscaling is consistent. A fully functioning free trial is available from BorisFx and the trial is long enough to complete a project. That would be my suggestion.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]