FORUMS: list search recent posts

New 5820K system build - need GPU recommendations!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Levalois
New 5820K system build - need GPU recommendations!
on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:49:37 pm

I'm building a new rig for video editing using SV Pro 13, somewhat on a budget. Here are the specs so far:

Intel Core i7 5820K 6 Core Processor (will overclock)
32GB DDR4 2800Mhz RAM (will overclock)
2 x Samsung 500GB SSD's (one for OS, other for scratch disk and some storage)
1 x 3TB Seagate Baracuda for renders, storage

I had originally decided on a GTX 970 4GB however the controversy over the VRAM issue (that the card only really has 3.5GB at full performance and the rest at a seventh of the performance) combined with CUDA versus OpenCL, etc. got me looking and inquiring some more.

So should I go with nVidia or AMD on this build? I'm interested in a healthy dose of both preview and rendering performance. Need to stay in the $300-$350 range.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Vincent Levalois
Re: New 5820K system build - need GPU recommendations!
on Oct 7, 2015 at 5:16:49 pm

Went hunting for some more info on this and found this very interesting video:

Basically the CPU rendering times with the 5820k and 6 cores beats the times with a GTX 970 or R9 290 in SV 13 Pro. In Premiere Pro, same times.

So I guess for my applications I'd be looking for the best preview performance and from all accounts, what I've read here is that the nVidia is best performer for that purpose. Can anyone attest?

Win7 Pro - Sony Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:27:14 am

[Vincent Levalois] "Basically the CPU rendering times with the 5820k and 6 cores beats the times with a GTX 970 or R9 290 in SV 13 Pro. In Premiere Pro, same times."
That test didn't say what render type he used so perhaps he used a render type that didn't support GPU acceleration so the test is meaningless. He did say that he had never used Vegas Pro before and was using trial version so I'm sure he didn't realize that some render types are GPU accelerated whiles others are not.

I can tell you for a fact that my AMD Radeon HD 5870 renders significantly faster than my 12-Core Xeon's alone when using FX and a render type that is OpenCL accelerated in Vegas Pro. You can read all about it in this "New" Graphics Card thread.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Vincent Levalois
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:48:14 am

There were a few comments on the video that slammed him about that and I agree, but still found it interesting. Thank you for the link to that thread, very informative, however many of the replies just confused me more.

It would appear, from what I'm reading on these forums and the Sony forums that for Vegas specifically and within my budget, a Radeon type card using OpenCL would perform better overall than GTX's CUDAs. I'm considering the R9 290x or 390x versus the GTX 970 for example. Would you concur?

And from what I understand (pardon my ignorance and please correct me as needed), the GPU card serves two purposes in SV. a) Deliver significant playback performance and b) assist in the initial rendering process before the CPU cores get involved with the CODEC processing, depending on what you choose to render to.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 8, 2015 at 6:16:03 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Oct 8, 2015 at 6:40:11 am

The way OpenCL operates in Vegas and other apps, is the GPU is added to existing OpenCL compute units that are virtual on the CPU. Your CPU is only capable of hundreds of GFLOPs, while the GPU is capable of thousands. Think of the GPU as a device that can do certain math functions much faster than CPU. A good test of GPU benefit is drop a Sony Gaussian Blur on top of Sony Min and Max FX. Then do some time line playback and render tests. Straight up rendering from one MP4 to another is not going to show you much.

People have a misconception of what the GPU should be doing for them. There was another .mp4 encoder that attempted to do more with the GPU years ago, and it "loaded" up the GPU. That does not mean it is the best way to do it.

Vegas uses OpenCL (CPU+GPU) to perform tasks it can do best on the appropriate device. That might be only CPU in certain circumstances. The CPU+GPU combo can decode video, compute timeline composites and FX, then also help out with complex math in the encoder. That's what GPU acceleration means in Vegas, not just one format to another. When you "load up" your timeline with clips and effects, you start to see how much the GPU is helping you.

The current release of Vegas best supports AMD cards. AMD does a better job of providing OpenCL performance and stability. NVidia has their own competing CUDA architecture that they would rather have app developers use.

Anandtech.com publishes Vegas performance results under the compute sections of their GPU reviews. The Luxmark test is another good benchmark test, since it utilizes the CPU and GPU combined in the same way Vegas does.

The 290X or 390X would be your best "vegas" card for a new system like yours. Vegas only supports adding one GPU to the OpenCL group, and hopefully in the future we will get multi GPU abilities. So adding a GPU with the highest Compute units you can afford is the best thing for Vegas.

The ADM Fury X has 64 compute units, while the 390x and 290x have 44 compute units. You can roughly arrive at the compute units number by dividing the stream processors by 64.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:51:00 am

[Vincent Levalois] "It would appear, from what I'm reading on these forums and the Sony forums that for Vegas specifically and within my budget, a Radeon type card using OpenCL would perform better overall than GTX's CUDAs. I'm considering the R9 290x or 390x versus the GTX 970 for example. Would you concur?"
Yes. This is also the consensus of the Vegas Pro community. Everyone who has had NVIDIA cards and switched to AMD, specifically the AMD Radeon R9 290x, have reported big improvements in playback performance and some rendering.
[Vincent Levalois] "And from what I understand (pardon my ignorance and please correct me as needed), the GPU card serves two purposes in SV. a) Deliver significant playback performance and b) assist in the initial rendering process before the CPU cores get involved with the CODEC processing, depending on what you choose to render to."
That's only 1/2 right. (1) is correct, GPU acceleration improves playback speed and since you must playback the timeline to render, it improves rendering speed as well. (2) the CODEC encoder must support GPU acceleration. VP does not do anything before the encoder gets it. If the encoder uses GPU then the render is GPU accelerated. Since Sony buys some of their encoders from 3rd parties and those 3rd parties have not updated their encoders in 5 years, Vegas Pro only supports very old (circa 2010) GPU's for CODEC acceleration. I'm specifically referring to MainConcept AVC here.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Vincent Levalois
on Oct 8, 2015 at 3:57:52 pm

Thank you and that helps a lot in me making the right choice for a GPU for this new build. With the 6 cores on the 5820K, 32 gigs of DDR4 and SSDs, I wanted to make sure not to make a mistake by getting something that won't complement this configuration well.

The only drawbacks I've heard about the 290x/390x are the heat and potential driver issues but overall reviews/videos I've read/viewed on the matter place the 390x at least, just between the GTX 970 and 980 which is a good place to be before you start spending a whole lot more money.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]