FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing the black side bars, witout stretching the picture ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rea
Removing the black side bars, witout stretching the picture ?
on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:15:57 am

Hi everyone,

i have the problem that everytime i tried removing the black bars on the left and right side, the picture gets stretched.

Dozens of Youtube videos using solutions like aspect ratio and similar stuff.

They get rid of the black bars.
But all solutions stretch the picture , and my problem is that i want to keep the
ratio of the original media file ( picture ).

How can i do that ?

Thanks in advance

regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Removing the black side bars, witout stretching the picture ?
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:34:24 pm

Very easy. Open pan/crop window, place cursor somewhere over image, right-click and select Match Output Aspect. That's it. Picture will fill frame and aspect ratio maintained.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Peter Rea
on Oct 7, 2015 at 1:15:54 am
Last Edited By Peter Rea on Oct 7, 2015 at 1:28:53 am

Hi Wayne,

thanks for the reply.

Yes that´s something i knew and tried already, but the problem here is that it will basically zoom in the picture, and the result is that the parts on the side will be cutted off.

But i want to keep every pixel from the photo, something i haven´t achieved yet.

Either parts of the photo will be cutted off, or with the "match output Aspect" solution everything is there, but stretched.

Is it really impossible to keep the original ratio, without creating a new problem ?

Bye the way, i found a solution, which isn´t the best, but it works.
Before i import the picture, i make it thinner with Gimp 2, and then in Vegas i do the "Match output ratio" thing which stretches it again, to the original size ( and the black bars are gone ).

Well i was hoping for an easier way, but maybe it´s not possible in Vegas.

Thanks again.

regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:55:17 am

Peter,

If you want to fill the frame, there are only 2 options. First, you can crop the image to the same aspect ratio as your project, in which case, you will lose parts of that image. Second, you can distort the image so that all pixels are used, by stretching the image in the dimensions where the black bars appear. So basically, it's your choice--a cropped image or a distorted image. When 16:9 TVs appeared, manufacturers came up with a variety of algorithms to stretch a normal 4:3 image source to 16:9, from simple linear stretching across the entire horizontal axis to more complex where the central part of the image was about right and that the stretch increased dramatically toward the ends. Vegas can easily do the simple linear stretching. Simply disable "maintain aspect ratio" in the pan/crop windows and zoom out in the horizontal axis only. Another option to consider would be to simply use the image "as is" and add some type of background track to eliminate the black bars. There are lots of ways to do this.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Peter Rea
on Oct 8, 2015 at 7:45:18 am

Hi Wayne,

thanks again for help.

I will try out your advices.

regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]