FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merging video files, I know this has been covered before but still searching for answers

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
Merging video files, I know this has been covered before but still searching for answers
on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:56:30 am

Hey All,

Anyone know any way to join MP4 files from a Panasonic GH4? The GH4 splits long clips every 4GB, so I have multiple files per clip.

I have tried to concatenate them from a command prompt, tried Avidemux and tried to wrap my brain around ffmpeg with no good results.

Vegas sees my files and will open them, but it extents the video about 3 times the length of the audio, in addition, butting them up against one another in Vegas (after I make the video the proper length) still causes a blip as if there is a frame or two missing, and also with the audio. Trying to import them in Vegas does not show 1 clip but the same number as in the folder (I have been through this process before on this forum and I keep the entire SD card structure as well).

Avidemux will join the files, but the audio cuts in and out (rhythmically) and is out of sync as well.

Trying a cmd prompt creates a small 114kb file instead of joining the clips together.

I have no clue how to use ffmpeg and have tried various other programs to no luck (virtualdub, MP4 joiner, etc).

I do NOT want to re-encode the files and have joined .mts files with luck using both Avidemux and tsMUXER as well.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated and really needed as well, kinda at my wits end.
If this would include an ffmpeg solution, I would need it to be detailed as I am not understanding how it works at all.

Thanks so much everyone!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Merging video files, I know this has been covered before but still searching for answers
on Oct 6, 2015 at 7:30:03 am

Have you tried the script that was specifically created for this issue?
If not try it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6uTBvu2vGGXbVVhaVZXNkFtREE/edit?usp=shari...

Instructions given are: Just add this script to the tool bar and use it when
you highlight the video track and BEFORE any editing or FX's are applied.
It will sync up the audio video automatically, as it should have been in
the first place.

From the Sony thread: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageI...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: Merging video files, I know this has been covered before but still searching for answers
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:10:37 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the help on this!!! It looks like this script just deals with the audio and video clips being different lengths. I really need a solution that will join/merge the two videos into one clip in my windows environment. I often have to get a smaller version (in size) to the client through dropbox and would like to be able to take it into Handbrake or something and make a quick small version for upload.
So I am primarily looking for something that will join these clips and not re-encode them.
Any thoughts?
Really appreciate all the help!

Best

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Oct 6, 2015 at 1:40:44 pm
Last Edited By Doug Jackson on Oct 6, 2015 at 1:46:26 pm

Scott,

Although I have the GH2 and it creates split .mts files, I think what you are looking for is the "Device Explorer" in Vegas.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/webhelp/vegaspro/12/ENU/Content/The_Dev...

Although the instructions say that you have to connect your camera via USB, you can also 'browse' the SD card if you have a card reader in the computer (or have copied the entire SD card to your HDD) Has to read the 'native' file structure of the SD card.
I'm not on my Vegas system at this time, but I think you right-click the left pane of the Device Explorer window and choose Browse from the shortcut menu.
Upon selection, the importing function knows how to merge the split files.

Regards,
--Doug

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:07:28 pm

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the reply, that however, doesn't work with MP4 or MOV files with the GH4. I have tried that with my camera and it only show the .MTS type files. I have both those and MP4 on the same chip, and using Device explorer only the .mts show up.

Any other thoughts? I am REALLY just trying to merge the videos outside of Vegas. There are times I need the entire video clip I shot in it's entirety and don't want to go into Vegas.

I appreciate all the help!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:32:22 pm

Scott,

Hmm, a quick Google search returns:
http://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-memory-file-size-limit/

which suggests using "MPEG Streamclip"...

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:55:21 pm
Last Edited By Scott Francis on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:57:04 pm

Hi Doug,

I have been to that website and I have tried that MPEG streamclip. When I select my video files, it says that these is an error and that I can continue and. It then fails when it tries.

Here is a pic of what happens.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Oct 6, 2015 at 5:22:41 pm

Well, we know that MP4 is just a container and the guts of the files can vary.
Hope you find a workable solution.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:19:20 am

I found a little work around. In the future I can shoot in .MOV format and then combine them in Quicktime Pro. That will allow me to have the entire clip in Vegas and also manipulate outside of Vegas as well.
I still have not found anyway to join the files that are MP4 and keep the audio as well. This is a very annoying issue, but at least at this point I have a working fix moving forward.

Again, if ANY of you have any other ideas, I would welcome them!!!
I have tried MP4 Muxer
MPEG Streamclip
Video Container Changer
Avanti with FFmpeg and AviSynth
BSVideo Joiner
Free Video Joiner
Aimer Video Studio
Avidemux
and others as well.

Thanks again!

Xavier (Scott) Francis