FORUMS: list search recent posts

30 fps to 60 fps

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Av Prophoto
30 fps to 60 fps
on Sep 30, 2015 at 9:47:55 pm

I have 30p 1/60 footage and going to speed it up 2x.
I am thinking, is there any ways to convert it to 60p (better playback quality). In a future I could take it @30p with shutter speed @1/120.

Usually, question is "how to convert 30p to 60p with the same speed", but I want to point it one more time - I'm going to accelerate my footage by 2.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: 30 fps to 60 fps
on Oct 1, 2015 at 2:57:52 am

I'm really confused about what you are trying to do, but I'll offer a few comments.

I am thinking, is there any ways to convert it to 60p (better playback quality)

Converting 30P to 60P will not provide better playback quality. There are only 2 ways to do this. First simply copy every frame to the next missing frame in which case the playback will be the same. Or, interpolate the missing frames using Vegas Smart Resample, which will most likely lead to poorer playback quality.

I could take it @30p with shutter speed @1/120.

It seems to me that a better alternative would be to film at a higher frame rate--either 60 or 120 fps. Then you have the option of changing your playback rate without having to interpolate missing frames.

And finally, the whole idea of doubling the frame rate and then doubling the speed leaves me puzzled at best. I don't see any benefit of this at all, given the fact that there will be no quality increase from simply doubling your frame rate. My suggestion is to simply halve the length of your event using Ctrl-drag. Then test whether it looks better with Smart Resample Enabled or Disabled for that event.

Perhaps someone can offer a more informed recommendation.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anatoli Sem
on Oct 1, 2015 at 9:01:55 pm

Thank you for reply.
Sorry for confusing question.
I have 30fps footage...if I speed it up by 2 and then render at 30fps, I will loose each second frame.
Is that right?
Than, if I use all frames of accelerated (by 2) footage, I think, I will get 60fps.
...an example - 30fps 2 second long footage = 60fps 1 second footage...

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:23:18 am

You could try exporting your clip as a .PNG sequence. This will give you individual frames. Then import the image sequence, during the import of the sequence you will get a popup where you can set the frame rate you want the media to play back at. At this point you could choose 60FPS, which will effectively speed up the footage if rendered to 60fps.

Most of use are trying to figure out why you want to do what you are trying to do.

Return to posts index

Anatoli Sem
on Oct 2, 2015 at 9:07:32 pm

here is an example of what I'm working on:

It seems to me 60p looks much cleaner than 30p.
For that videos I use turntable, which has variable speed option. So, I am thinking, why not to capture at 30 fps and then convert footage to 60, if that is just some software manipulation.
If it is not possible I will have to purchase newer Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. It has an option to capture 60p

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 2, 2015 at 9:40:26 pm

why not to capture at 30 fps and then convert footage to 60

No doubt 60P will look smoother than 30P if there is significant motion. However, why not simply capture at 60P to start with? Most video cameras today, even very low end consumer models, will capture video at 1080 60P. My little GoPro will capture 1080 at 120P. Regardless, any attempt to simply double your framerate through either interpolation or adding frames will not improve the final quality so long as your project frame rate remains the same. Again, I'm confused. Perhaps you should provide additional information about your actual workflow--project properties, media properties, and render settings.

If it is not possible I will have to purchase newer Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. It has an option to capture 60p

Why? Again, no reason to if you do your initial filming at 60P.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anatoli Sem
on Oct 2, 2015 at 10:23:51 pm

Why? Again, no reason to if you do your initial filming at 60P.

It just doesn't have this option.
I would like to use 4.2.2 footage, which I can get with BM Intensity card. Camera HDMI output has 60p, but I can't capture it with the card I have.

Return to posts index

Anatoli Sem
on Oct 4, 2015 at 7:28:49 am

Aaron, thank you for the tip.
Converted 30p AVI to images, then imported to Sony Vegas as a sequence...rendered 60p.
It's worked like a charm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]