FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Times

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Fernandes
Rendering Times
on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:20:33 pm

What are the usual render times for a 1280x720p 60fps with both Target and Max bitrate at 8Mb/s?

I usually get 10/15 minutes to render 5 or 8 minutes of video with those settings?

Is it normal, slow or even fast speed rendering?

I have a laptop with Intel i7 3630QM

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Rendering Times
on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:30:02 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 24, 2015 at 9:01:22 pm

Most of the time when people are posting render times on the web, they are commenting on 24-30fps. When you rendering 60FPS, you are having to render 2x the amount of frames. Hardware encoding can speed up render times but this depends on your GPU type, and whether or not your system is setup to utilize QuickSync on your CPU. You should look into the results you are comparing to and determine if your results are a direct comparison. 5mins to render 30p would be 10-15 to render 60p.

Laptop hardware is not as fast as desktop hardware, so your laptop results will be slower than Desktop render demos.

There are other factors as well like the source codec. Decoding can be much faster and lighter weight with the right source material, and in turn allowing more processing time for encoding.

YouTube 720-60p bitrate is 7.5 or rounded up is 8Mb/s. I would render your upload file to about 10-12Mb/s using Sony AVC. Using a custom Internet profile that matches your project settings, and has QuickSync enabled. Assuming your laptop only has the integrated Intel GPU and no other discrete GPU.

Another option if you have good upload bandwidth (5-20Mb/s) would be to use a Sony.MXF>HD EX 1280-720-60p profile. Render to that format and upload the resulting file directly to YouTube. The variable bitrate nature of XDCAM will scale well with the amount of motion in your material, and minimize bandwidth for the static sections. XDCAM is GPU accelerated but not QuickSync capable.

What laptop model are you using?

Return to posts index

Victor Fernandes
on Sep 27, 2015 at 1:19:19 am
Last Edited By Victor Fernandes on Sep 27, 2015 at 1:23:53 am

ASUS K55VJ
Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.40Ghz~3.40Ghz
6GB DDR3
Intel HD 4000
Nvidia GeForce 635M

I recently found out that I can encoding with QuickSync while I record my gameplay with no loss on FPS and also render with QuickSync which is amazing, I never knew about this!

In the software I use to record I've set the bitrate to 15000kbps and as you can see in the image below, this is the "final product"

With this in mind, now my settings to render are:

The only thing that concerns me is, I play in 1360x768 and also do the record at 1360x768, however when I render to 1280x720 I feel I loss a lot of quality and the other way is to render at 1080 but it would be a waste. Can I render at 1360x768?

The workaround I use is adding sharpening effect, otherwise it's very hard to read the information displayed on screen

EDIT: My bandwith is only 0.85Mbps (858kbps)

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 24, 2015 at 9:18:09 pm

You never mentioned what encoder you are using. That is a critical piece of information don't you think!?

It sounds like you were using Mainconcept AVC.

One thing I would add is to not set the max bitrate and target bitrate to the same value. This defeats the whole idea of variable bitrate encoding.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 27, 2015 at 7:20:17 am

I would do full tests both ways at your laptop native resolution and at 720P. The drop in quality might be from your laptop display scaling the 720p render. YouTube is expecting conforming video, or you suffer the wrath of the Scaling. Render at Best Full will help with scaling the pixels to 720p, but adds time to the render.

Since your upload is bandwidth is so low, you may want to drop your capture to 30FPS, and render 30FPS at like 7-8Mb. This will reduce your upload size greatly.

1080p is not a waste in the era of tablets and phones with 4K displays on them. 1080p is just rough to upload at such low bandwidths.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]