FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Before upgrading to Windows 10: Approach with caution those using Intel Matrix Storage Manager!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel O'Neill
OT: Before upgrading to Windows 10: Approach with caution those using Intel Matrix Storage Manager!
on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:28:53 pm

I decided to bite the bullet and did the upgrade to Windows 10, Everything went smoothly and I was running on Windows 10. I did notice Vegas was slightly more sluggish than usual, but put it down to my imagination and the fact that the project had media from smart phones and other contributors (it was a friends wedding).

Well, last night I was uploading footage from a camera and noticed that it was taking longer than usual, but it was progressing, albeit slowly. As I normally do, I then loaded other earlier uploaded files into Vegas whilst this was happening. Vegas took an absolute age to go from 1% to 3% building peaks and then seemed to get stuck at 9% and after about 30 minutes, had only got to 60% for a file that normally loads in 2 minutes. I then noticed in the new Windows 10 task manager that my disk I/O was maxing out at 100%.

As I have a RAID setup, I ran my Intel Matrix Storage Manager utility to see if one of my disks was failing and it informed me it was missing the required drivers and had not installed correctly. As a test I copied some files between my drives. The transfer rate was 720 kbps and falling so I realised the disk drivers were not properly installed for Windows 10.

A quick Google search advised that the Matrix Storage Manager was not supported under Windows 10, but had been replaced by Intel Rapid Storage Technology, so I dutifully downloaded and installed that. Upon restarting, Windows 10 informed me that my boot device was inaccessible. Needless to say, I had a few kittens. It just refused to boot.

Luckily, I was still within the 30 day 'trial' period for Windows 10 and was able to restore to my previous version of Windows 7 without further incident using the repair option at boot up. Thankfully that was still accessible on disk. I am now back to Windows 7 and will be staying put.

When gets my goat is that the Windows 10 compatibility checker did not identify this (and I triple checked it before making the switch). The moral of the story here is (besides the importance of making regular backups) that Windows 10 can be problematic on hardware older than around 4 years.

So far, I have only had success with one Windows 10 upgrade on a Dell laptop. Apart from my editing system, my other workhorse was an Asus laptop. That Windows 10 upgrade also went smoothly, but the laptop inexplicably started freezing up days later. Unfortunately, that Windows roll back failed and I had to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch. The laptop has been running fine on Windows 7.

Caveat emptor when it comes to upgrading to the free Windows 10! I reckon that when I finally do move to Windows 10, it will be with a new PC!

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: OT: Before upgrading to Windows 10: Approach with caution those using Intel Matrix Storage Manager!
on Sep 24, 2015 at 12:09:26 am

That's unfortunate that the Windows 10 checker didn't catch RAID drivers that were incompatible. I have no plans to upgrade my Windows 7 computers to Windows 10 any time in the foreseeable future. There just isn't any compelling reason to upgrade (i.e., not a single new feature that I need). What is it they say, "If it ain't broke... don't fix it!" And if I do ever move to Windows 10 it will be a fresh install. Microsoft has never been able to upgrade any of their operating systems in place without having issues. It's tempting but it's not worth it IMHO. Thanks for sharing your experience.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: OT: Before upgrading to Windows 10: Approach with caution those using Intel Matrix Storage Manager!
on Sep 24, 2015 at 1:57:53 am

Pretty sure if you made an image of your Win7 install, then broke the RAID, and did a clean install of Win10 with the ICH10 in SATA mode, it would more than likely work just fine. Would be a good time to upgrade to an SSD for boot anyways.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]