FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to render out for Color Correction and Theatrical Release.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Clark
Need to render out for Color Correction and Theatrical Release.
on Sep 22, 2015 at 7:12:02 pm

Hello All,

I have a feature documentary I am trying to send of to the Color Correction crew and I need to render it out at the highest possible quality. I followed the advice of the blog below

http://johnrofrano.com/training/video-tutorials/avid-dnxhd-template-for-veg...

and when I try to render, a half second after I press the "render as" button it says its completed and then spits out a .mov.slf file that 1KB in size. We are getting down to the wire here and I I need to figure out how to get this thing sent off. We are aiming for a Theatrical release with this film and it needs to be delivered at the highest possible quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joel Clark

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Need to render out for Color Correction and Theatrical Release.
on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:30:56 am

Do you have render selected timeline area enabled, and are you selecting the entire project you want rendered?

What rendering as settings and DNxHD profile are you using right now, and how does that compare to your project settings and source material.

Do you need to render to dnxhd.mov? Is all your source media in DNxHD already?

There is not a whole lot of info on your planned workflow from Source media, to Vegas project settings, to CC application requirements, to display format conversion(DCP for example.)

Highest quality is really determined by your source material, and carrying that level through to your display format.

Return to posts index

Joel Clark
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:54:21 am

Aaron. thanks for responding. You obviously are far more Vegas savvy than I. See my reply below.

Do you have render selected timeline area enabled, and are you selecting the entire project you want rendered?

--- At this point I am merely trying to render out a 30 second test. I have "render loop region only" selected and have no idea where "Render Selected Timeline" is.

What rendering as settings and DNxHD profile are you using right now, and how does that compare to your project settings and source material.

--- My project settings are HD 1080-24p (1920x1080, 23.976 fps). My footage is between 4K and 1080p. All footage frame rates is 23.976. I made sure that when I downloaded the DNxHD that I selected the correct frame rate. Does that answer your question??

Do you need to render to dnxhd.mov? Is all your source media in DNxHD already?

--- A professional Color Corrector company is charging the film 8 grand to Collor Correct. They have never worked with Vegas and they fond the web page to help me render out the film... the page mentioned in my post that isn't seeming to work. All my source media is... not sure. I shot the film on everything from DSLR's, a few Gopro's and the RED ONE.

There is not a whole lot of info on your planned workflow from Source media, to Vegas project settings, to CC application requirements, to display format conversion(DCP for example.)

--- To show you exactly who you are helping out... I have no idea what the above paragraph means :)

Highest quality is really determined by your source material, and carrying that level through to your display format.

--- If you have a format that keeps my quality and gets this out the door, I am all ears!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Joel Clark

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 23, 2015 at 8:43:37 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 23, 2015 at 8:58:09 am

"render loop region only" - is what I was referring to without having Vegas open for the correct term. This will just render your 30 seconds selected on the timeline.

"A professional Color Corrector company is charging the film 8 grand to Color Correct."

This makes sense. Yeah DNxHD is probably your most compatible format with a professional Resolve setup, or depending on what they are using. Choosing one of the following profiles:

Avid DNxHD 350x 1920 x 1080 4:4:4 10-bit 23.976 352Mb/s 0.407 Mins/GB
Avid DNxHD 175x 1920 x 1080 4:2:2 10-bit 23.976 176Mb/s 0.814 Mins/GB

Since you have footage from DSLR and GoPro the 175x profile should be good enough. Rendering your project in 32-bit Video Levels is recommended to push through the Redcode color, while the 8-bit DSLR/GoPro formats will just be expanded. If the Redcode was not in the picture, you could pretty much just follow John's tutorial. So your quality level depends on which format dominates the timeline. This is assuming that the R3D footage was dropped on the timeline and not transferred to some other format before editing.

The post house should give you the exact format specs they prefer.

.MXF HDCAM-SR 444, SR 422 or HDCAM-SR-Lite would be your Vegas optimized formats at that level and 1080-24p. Resolve supports this, but there again it depends on what the post house is running and willing to accept.

"There is not a whole lot of info on your planned workflow from Source media, to Vegas project settings, to CC application requirements, to display format conversion(DCP for example.)"

I guess in hind sight, for 8 grand they are delivering you a DCP and graded DNxHD file.

"If you have a format that keeps my quality and gets this out the door, I am all ears!!!"

The DNxHD 175x profile would be a good middle road, 350x if you really want to maintain your REDCODE footage.

On the Sony side - HDCAM SR 444 if you want to optimize for the REDCODE material, SR 422 or 422-lite if the majority of footage is DSLR and GoPro.

Return to posts index

Joel Clark
on Sep 23, 2015 at 11:54:01 am

Aaron,

I think I understand all the settings, but even when I have them all set to what I believe is perfect, I press the Render button and the same thing happens. It tells me its done in a split second and spits out a .mov.sfl file... not sure whats going on here!

Joel

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 24, 2015 at 1:18:29 am

Hmm. Is your Quicktime up to 7.7.6 and the Avid codec pack up to 2.6.0? Those are the versions I have that are working on my end.

Are the include Video and Audio track check boxes marked in the QuickTime profile settings?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:40:38 am

See if there is a file with the extension .mov.tmp and if there is, delete it. If you have a failed QuickTime render and the tmp file is left behind, sometimes Vegas Pro cannot delete it and so all QuickTime renders fail after that. I believe that restarting Vegas Pro also fixes the problem and, in fact, you may need to close Vegas Pro in order to delete the .mov.tmp file.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joel Clark
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:56:38 am

John,

I assume you are talking about deleting it in my render folder? If so, yes I have done so and restarted Vegas and the computer. I found this interesting tidbit on another post. So far it hasn't helped....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]