FORUMS: list search recent posts

So if no more Vegas, what's next?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
So if no more Vegas, what's next?
on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:17:58 pm

Having read the prior post that Sony will only be "maintaining" Sony Vegas Pro from here on out, what will they do for an editor?
Are they developing Catalyst for both platforms, getting out of editors all together or something else?

Anyone have any insider info or thoughts on the matter?

Just wondering if I need to start looking to use something else in the future....

Thanks!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: So if no more Vegas, what's next?
on Sep 21, 2015 at 11:40:47 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Sep 22, 2015 at 12:35:10 am

[Scott Francis] "Are they developing Catalyst for both platforms, getting out of editors all together or something else?"
Catalyst Suite runs on both Mac and PC and while Sony has only announced Catalyst Browse, Catalyst Prepare, and Catalyst Edit, they have "hinted" at more products to be added to the suite. So I would say that over time, Catalyst Edit would be Sony's NLE of choice.
[Scott Francis] "Anyone have any insider info...?"
Any one who does would be under a Non-Disclosure Agreement so they couldn't say. ;-)
[Scott Francis] "Just wondering if I need to start looking to use something else in the future...."
That depends. What can't you do with Vegas Pro now that you were hoping to do in the future? Vegas Pro isn't going to suddenly stop working. I assume that as new formats come out, it will be harder and harder to edit these with Vegas Pro but Apple discontinued Final Cut Pro 7 four (4) years ago and the FCP forum here at the COW is booming with business as editors continue to use it every day. So you may be able to get quite a few good years out of Vegas Pro depending on your needs. Clearly all of the people who are still using Vegas Pro 9 have quite a few upgrades left their future. lol

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Sep 22, 2015 at 12:57:21 am

I can entertain the notion that someday I'll use FCPX, even though I'd have to learn how to use Macs properly and don't really care for them from when I have used them and from what I've heard about the lack of ability to upgrade them. But I'd take that over Adobe's subscription model any day. Plus, Apple has software that you can use in conjuction with FCPX for things like editing pictures and 3D effects.

Return to posts index

John Perez
on Sep 22, 2015 at 1:14:01 am

This is awful news. Awful. 'Figures I'd hear it on a Monday. Here I invest years learning and working with the program and then they just peter out. Vegas was always the ugly step-child of NLE's. No businesses used it. It was (is) only Final Cut and Premiere if you wanted to get a job editing. Vegas was unique in their single track editing. No other NLE snapped the way Vegas's timeline did. The Sony Vegas developers just gave up. So now they have a new Catalyst. They're trying to get out from under the stigma. Yes, I'll be able to use this last version for a few years but they will be abandoning us. This is the problem with the Digital Age. You find a tool that works great but the new generation wants a new toy to build. Companies are forced to keep changing, like Windows. Windows XP was the best, they they had to keep rolling new version out and now we have Windows 10; the ugliest interface I've ever seen. It's all about change for the sake of change. We are addicted to change; or we are forced to be pulled along to then next best thing by our nose rings. How effing disappointing. It's Black Monday in my editing world.

As always thanks so much to you guys...Johnny In Orlando

Return to posts index

Ron Partridge
on Sep 22, 2015 at 11:49:05 am

I had planned to upgrade to Vegas Pro 14 when it came out. I guess I'll have to modify that plan. My last upgrade was Vegas Pro 11 and it has worked fine for my purposes.
One last upgrade was all I needed for the near future. I wonder if Sony will offer a discount for upgrades that are available now? Glad I kept my Amiga Toaster in working condition!

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 22, 2015 at 3:23:01 pm

Thanks John!!
I am aware of people not being able to comment on what they know, but a guys gotta try right? LOL!
It isn't that Vegas is going to stop working right away, it is what another person stated. You invest years and years and $ after $ into an ecosystem and make it your primary tool. One might say why stay with this editor when you know it will become obsolete in the future, do we now have to worry about the new equipment we purchase, etc?
I love Vegas for the most part, I really do. However, Sony needs to let their customers KNOW if they plan to develop Catalyst into what Vegas was, or if they are building a new editor that is cross platform, or they are done with NLE's all together.

Just my two cents! Thanks for all your help and input!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Sep 22, 2015 at 10:24:15 pm

[John Rofrano] "That depends. What can't you do with Vegas Pro now that you were hoping to do in the future?"

How would we know? The future hasn't happened yet. Hard to predict industry changes down the road. I'm gonna hold onto Vegas 11 and 13 for dear life. If there's a demo of Catalyst I might try it one day, but Vegas fits my style of editing so perfectly it would have to be pretty darn similar for me to transition. It's the end of an era for sure.

You'll always be Soundforge Vegas 4 in my heart.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:50:17 am

Unless Sony is dumping Vegas all together or selling it off, there will most likely be a Vegas 14. If Sony hangs on to Vegas, then they will most likely merge Vegas into a catalyst product sometime down the road when the catalyst products reach version 3 or 4.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:59:49 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:00:31 am

Relax Scott, Vegas is not coming to an end!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 23, 2015 at 3:59:57 pm

Then why this info from another post?

Sad message! I was at IBC 2015 and spoke there with Gary Rebholz about the future of Vegas Pro. VP will be maintained he said, but there will be no version 14."

And this from Sony:
Sony Creative Software remains committed to Vegas Pro, our strong craft video editor, and continues to support the product. For Vegas Pro 13, we’ve released 4 updates so far, the most recent in June (build 453) which addressed some key camera support issues and is compatible with Windows 10.

As a policy, Sony Creative Software does not comment on future product plans, however we are actively assessing market and customer needs for future major and maintenance versions of Vegas Pro. If you have specific needs, we’d love to hear your detailed product suggestions:
Seems like we are seeing the potential end... Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 23, 2015 at 7:28:09 pm

Yep, You are wrong!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 23, 2015 at 8:09:41 pm

Well, let's hope you are right!!!

Thanks

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

John Perez
on Sep 24, 2015 at 12:49:18 am

Sony's customer service is appalling. Has anyone ever requested info on a problem they were having? I didn't hear back from them for six weeks. Vegas is unique because it's ancestors was an audio-editing program. Vegas's single track editing has a unique "elasticity" that Premiere doesn't have. Vegas' intuitiveness is exceptional and it's power can match any other NLE. But Sony never really respected it. Vegas wasn't world-class like Avid, Final Cut and now Premiere, and so...Catalyst; the shiny new program on the block. The Digital World doesn't believe in the truism: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thus we adapt; and chase after mastery of a program before it becomes extinct.

Happy running!

As always thanks so much to you guys...Johnny In Orlando

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:43:11 am

let's hope i am right?
You think i would make such a statement, if i wasn't sure of what i speak?

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:42:54 am
Last Edited By Scott Francis on Oct 6, 2015 at 6:07:28 am

I meant no offense. Many people say MANY things to me with the utmost sincerity and they are at times incorrect. I don't know you personally, but do take what everyone says with a grain of salt.
Again, no offense meant, I hope to see Vegas 14!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Nov 4, 2015 at 6:09:00 pm

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/news/pressreleases/2015/sony-announces-...

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Nov 5, 2015 at 5:29:04 pm

Alright gamers, we know you've been pirating Vegas for years to edit your Call of Duty YouTube videos. Now's your chance to step up and buy a legit copy. Let's broaden Vegas's base and maybe we'll see a Vegas 14 after all.

Also I hope people with copies of Vegas will be given Steam codes to register it in Steam. I think it'd be hilarious to see how much time I spend with Vegas open after a year since it tracks that info. And heck, throw in Achievements and Steam Trading Cards while you're at it. I want a Platinum Trophy for most NewBlueFX transitions used in a photo montage!

Return to posts index

Matt Smitherz
on Nov 5, 2015 at 5:51:14 pm

from the sonycreativesoftware vegas forum...

"For those who are not familiar with Steam, you CANNOT use the software without an Internet connection! This makes sense for gamers who play on-line games but I have had the displeasure of wanting to use XPlane Steam Edition when I didn't have an Internet connection and you can't even start it!

So don't plan on editing any videos without an Internet connection if you purchase the Steam Edition. Yes, it's targeted a gamers who record their game play. It doesn't make sense for a professional videographer.
....."

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Nov 5, 2015 at 10:07:37 pm

[Matt Smitherz] ""For those who are not familiar with Steam, you CANNOT use the software without an Internet connection"

Probably worth noting that Steam does have an offline mode you can switch to, unless the software you're using has Steam DRM and specifically requires you to be logged in every time you use it. I've no reason to think Vegas uses that unless Sony has said something? For people who keep their edit computer completely offline just using Steam in the first place would be a pain in the neck so I wouldn't bother with it. For gamers who do I'd say $260 is a great deal.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 7, 2015 at 4:24:02 am

[David Shirey] "Probably worth noting that Steam does have an offline mode you can switch to, unless the software you're using has Steam DRM and specifically requires you to be logged in every time you use it. I've no reason to think Vegas uses that unless Sony has said something?"
I just confirmed that this works. Every time I launch Movie Studio Steam Edition it prompts me to logon to Steam but I pulled out my ethernet cable and launched Movie Studio Steam Edition and it gave me an error about not being able to logon and then offered me to Start in Off-line Mode. I selected that and Movie Studio started up just fine.

So you actually can use it without an Internet connection. That's good news.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]