FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas only importing part of a video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Sanford
Vegas only importing part of a video
on Sep 19, 2015 at 9:53:24 pm

Hey everyone. I've been having an issue with Sony Vegas today. I screen recorded 3 long clips with NVIDA Shadowplay. Each one is roughly 20-30 minutes long and range from 1.5-3 GB. They are 30fps, 1920x1080 and were recorded at 50mbps. But here comes the problem. When I import the clips into Vegas, it only imports 3-5 minutes of each clip. They are MP4 files and I know Vegas can have issues with those so that may be my issue. I know the files aren't corrupted because I can play them all the way through in Windows Media Player.
Any help is appreciated.

Mark

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Vegas only importing part of a video
on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:45:08 pm

My suggestion is for you to record a short session using the same settings and then upload that file to Dropbox or something so others might have a look at it. It seems that screen recording software is notorious for presenting problems in Vegas. Just because it plays OK in WMP doesn't mean it's not corrupted in terms of what Vegas requires. The problem seems to be that some software uses variable framerate recording. My suspicion is that you will have to transcode your files using a 3rd party application into a Vegas friendly format. But again, first upload a short sample file.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 20, 2015 at 12:26:12 am

The bottom line is, and Wayne also hits the nail on the head:
Screen recording software is notorious for presenting problems in Vegas
and other NLE for that matter... And there isnt much you can do to get around
that if you plan on keep using the same capture method, Sorry.
The only thing i can suggest for you to try, is to do your captures in
short increments instead.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:02:45 am

I use screen recording software quite often including 1080 60P captures and have never had a problem with Vegas. The software is Action by Mirilli. Rather than saving as an mp4, I save it as an avi file which includes wav audio. The bit rate is pretty high--about 270 Mbps and does produce large files, but as I've said before--never a problem with Vegas. It does have the option for saving as an MP4 including Intel Quick-sync as the encoder, although I have never tried it. In the future you might want to try it or at least find something that is "vegas-friendly" and not use something that comes as a freebie with one's video card and leads to problems down the road when trying to edit.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:48:00 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:50:00 am

These sort of issues seem encoder related. If you are not adverse to CLI apps, get a copy of FFMBC and try converting one of your 20min clips using the following:

ffmbc -i "input file.mp4" -target xdcamhd422 -an "output file name.mxf" -acodec pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -newaudio -acodec pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -newaudio -map_audio_channel 0:1:0:0:1:0 -map_audio_channel 0:1:1:0:2:0

This will convert your MP4 source clips to XDCAM422-50mbs with PCM audio. During the encode FFMPEG will report issues internal to the file. If there are no error in the streams, it will just show a FPS conversion counter. XDCAM will edit much smoother in Vegas, and with less stability issues.

FFMBC is basically just a version of FFMPEG that has templates/targets for converting to broadcast codec formats.

Return to posts index

Mark Sanford
on Sep 20, 2015 at 4:15:07 am

I got it fixed. All I did was run it through Handbrake and re export it to another separate MP4 file and voilĂ  it was fixed. Sort of a peculiar problem I reckon.

Thanks for the replies
Mark

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Sep 20, 2015 at 4:41:00 am

Glad you found a solution. Bear in mind that the procedure of taking an MP4, re-rendering it in Handbrake, bringing into Vegas for editing and then re-rendering again to an MP4 will result in a generational loss of quality. However, if you're happy, then it really doesn't matter. However, if you want to maintain the best quality in the future, capture using as close to lossless as possible, bring into Vegas for editing and then do a final render. Again, glad your problem is solved.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:21:29 pm

Well good. Like i said you, you had to try something else to get
it going.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Mark Sanford
on Sep 20, 2015 at 4:57:31 pm

Yeah when I was doing the final render, I was worried about quality loss as well, but luckily it came out quite nice. Yeah, in the future I will look into recording lossless, but thanks for the help anyway!

Regards
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]