FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMD R9 390X - Would it work in both Sony Vegas and AE?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrei Constantinescu
AMD R9 390X - Would it work in both Sony Vegas and AE?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:30:38 pm

Hello!

First time on these forums BUT I've read a loooot of good advices from all the nice people here :D
I feel like I know you guys simply by recognizing your names and/or avatars, so thank you for all the (indirect) help in the past!

I'll keep this short: I know about all the issues nVidia has with Vegas and After Effects. My budget is very limited but I have decided to finally build myself a brand new PC... giving up on nVidia completely. (My old PC is beyond salvageable anyway).

I'm aiming to get an i7-4790K CPU to go hand-in-hand with an AMD R9 390X 8GB 512.

My question to you, kind-and-wise people of the forums, is this: Has any of you experienced any issues with this combination in Vegas Pro or After Effects?

I would love to be able to use GPU Rendering... but so far I haven't been able to find anything regarding this possibility for the R9 390X.
I've read plenty of posts on your forum and other places as well... with nothing truly conclusive coming up.

I cannot get anything that is more expensive than this card, so would the R9 390X boost rendering speeds in Vegas and AE or not? (I'm mostly interested for Vegas because AE would only use it for ray-tracing and other 3D stuff). Are there any issues/conflicts?

Thank you for your time,
Andrei

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: AMD R9 390X - Would it work in both Sony Vegas and AE?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:51:57 pm

As far as Vegas Pro goes, the AMD R9 390X should boost playback performance which will in turn boost rendering speed even though it won't be used for encoding with MainConcept AVC but all others should work. Definitely a good choice.

Unfortunately I believe that AE raytracing requires CUDA so an AMD card will not help you there. I would ask your questions about AE on the After Effects Forum.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:38:37 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:41:17 pm

There is this video on enabling ray tracing in AE for AMD:

It does look like the video above may be dated per this post:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

I could not find the menus in the driver I am using on my AMD card however.

You could just do your own testing, get one, and return it if AE performance sucks.

Return to posts index

will stanton
on Jan 22, 2016 at 5:53:01 pm
Last Edited By will stanton on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:58:18 pm

If it matters in this forum....

My R9 390 cannot not be used as an encoder for Mainconcept or anything else in Movie Studio 13 or Vegas Platinum 12, even though 12 reports that OpenCl is available. These programs simply refuse to render with the R9 390, even though "Use OpenCl if available" is checked in preferences and in certain templates.

I guess I will install a trial version of Vegas Pro and see if it works with that.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 23, 2016 at 12:44:45 am

[will stanton] "My R9 390 cannot not be used as an encoder for Mainconcept or anything else in Movie Studio 13 or Vegas Platinum 12, even though 12 reports that OpenCl is available. ...I guess I will install a trial version of Vegas Pro and see if it works with that."
Don't bother. I can tell you that it won't work. The MainConcept encoder is very, very old only works with a very specific older set of graphics cards circa 2010. For AMD that means nothing newer than the Radeon HD 6000 series. My Radeon HD 5870 works... my Radeon HD 7950 does not. Your Radeon R9 390 doesn't stand a chance of working. Forget about MainConcept working if you have a newer card.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Andrei Constantinescu
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:53:34 pm

I'm looking to use the Sony YUV codec, 1920x1080, 24FPS. If it boosts rendering, even by a little bit, I am more than ok with this.
Thank you for the quick reply and for the youtube clip. Now I can rest easily. :3

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:54:03 pm

You are good to go Andrei with an AMD R9 390X.
But there is a question mark with it handling Raytracing in After Effects!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Andrei Constantinescu
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:56:31 pm

Uh oh... On the AE forum, I was told that it won't even be used for that.
Umm, do you know differently, Steve?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 17, 2015 at 11:15:23 pm

The adobe blog post says that AE5 had an opencl supported raytracer, which was swapped out for a Cuda in AE6 due to stability issues. It does not mean AE will not work AMD, you just will not get the bump with that feature. You would have to know how much of the 3d text and particles you use in your workflow.

Return to posts index

Andrei Constantinescu
on Sep 18, 2015 at 6:55:40 am

THere are many situations in which I use particles and, occasionally, 3D text and even 3D layers, hence why I want to make sure I do not get that compatibility error.

So basically, if I want to use AMD to its fullest potential, you're saying that I should stick to AE CS5.5?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]