FORUMS: list search recent posts

Banding on SD Imports

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lindsay
Banding on SD Imports
on Sep 15, 2015 at 5:33:13 pm

I have a clip video about ten minutes long composed of samples from music videos i shot in the past. I have just had it transferred to a single mpg file for editing and uploading.

All of the clips were originally SD. Some were letterboxed, some 4:3. When I played the entire clip in Realplayer, it looked fine. After importing into Vegas 11, several of the clips (not all) had serious horizontal banding. It seems worst on moving objects or during light flashes.

The timeline is set at 29.97, and some of the clips were shot at 24fps some at 30(all on film). The only one I have notes on was shot at 24 and 48 fps and does have banding. I don't know if this is only coincidental, but it happens on every other clip. Each 3 minute clip has a second of black between them.

I want to edit a music video reel out of this with a few of these. Is there a way to determine the reason some are banding? The banding is composed of many narrow bands and it seems to go away during the few static moments in the affected clips. Again, every other clip is band-free.

Thank you for your help!

Rob

Rob
Rob Lindsay Pictures, Nashville
Vegas 11 running on quad core Vista 64 w/ 6 Gigs RAM

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Banding on SD Imports
on Sep 15, 2015 at 5:36:09 pm

Mpeg for SD is usually a delivery format (i.e. DVD).
If you can, have them transferred again but this time do it to DV-AVI as that's a much better format to use when editing.

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Sep 15, 2015 at 5:49:58 pm

But that doesnt explain why some of the clips are fine and some arent.

Rob

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Sep 15, 2015 at 5:54:54 pm

It sounds like your raw footage was a real mixture of frame rates.
Was each clip transferred at its native frame rate or was everything converted to 29.97?
Are the problem ones the oddball frame rate clips?

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:00:52 pm

The clips were all on the same SP Beta tape that they has been edited to years ago. If some are shot 24 and some shot at 30, all were transferred to NTSC at 29.97 from the original film when produced.

I don't know how that affects the Vegas TL now.

Rob

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Sep 16, 2015 at 12:33:50 pm

Rob, this has been bugging me as I can't offer any explanation for your issues.
Does the video play back ok from the original source tape to an external monitor?
Can you post a short clip of the problem portion so that we can try it on our system or can you post a screen shot of what "severe banding" looks like?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]