FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Vegas Pro project into Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Zeitler
Import Vegas Pro project into Final Cut Pro X
on Sep 14, 2015 at 9:16:36 am

Good morning, everyone.

We have a little bit of a predicament. Our new intern uses Vegas Pro to edit, and the rest uses Final Cut Pro X. It's not a huge problem for us that he's using a different software, except, when he can't save the project file in a format the rest uses. Right now our intended way to work is that he's doing a basic edit, and then someone else finishes it.

From various posting all over the web it looks pretty bad in terms of exporting a FCPX XML file from Vegas, that can be read by FCPX. However there's also DaVinci Resolve which some folks use as "intermediate" converter app, especially because there's a free version.

What my question boils down to is this: How can we make a Vegas Pro edit export in a way that Final Cut Pro X reads it properly? Is there also a way back into Vegas? If there is an app we can buy, I'd gladly check it out. EDL-X, maybe?

Thank you for your kind help!

Andreas

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Import Vegas Pro project into Final Cut Pro X
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:45:50 am

So the intern has Vegas Pro 13 build 453, and you have tried FILE > Export > Final Cut Pro X (.fcpxml) and found it does not work for you?

When I tested a simple 2 track timeline just now and Exported and Re-Imported to a new project. I got some odd sound sync placement of the audio files on track 3. The final cut format seems to break out the audio channels. But the edits and track 2 audio was correct.

EDL Export worked well exporting and re-importing. I think EDL has limited tracks.

Return to posts index

Andreas Zeitler
on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:41:32 am

I forgot to mention that the intern has Vegas 11 Pro. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:35:49 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:05:47 pm

[Andreas Zeitler] "I forgot to mention that the intern has Vegas 11 Pro. I'm sorry for the confusion."
Tell him that he needs to upgrade to Vegas Pro 13.0 or buy a Mac and learn Final Cut Pro X. Seriously, there is no way to work the way you want with Vegas Pro 11.0. I would expect a working editor (even an intern) to keep his tools up to date... you should too.

Having said that, I don't even think having Vegas Pro 13.0 is going to help. There are probably more problems like Aaron pointed out waiting to bite you and the last thing you need is audio going out of sync. Vegas Pro just does not play well with others. It's really designed for one-man operations. On top of that you have Mac vs PC platform inconsistencies in addition to NLE inconsistencies. It's going to be one headache after the other.

I appreciate that you are trying to work things out for him but honestly, I'd tell the other editor that you're a Final Cut Pro X shop and he need to get the right tools for the job. You said he was an intern... If he plans to work in the industry, he will find lots more jobs knowing Final Cut Pro X than Vegas Pro. This is probably as good a time as any for him to learn.

As far as DaVinci Resolves goes, that may be an option. I would start a new post about round-tripping from Vegas Pro to Resolve because most Vegas Pro editors who know nothing about Final Cut Pro X will ignore this post. If Resolve can round-trip to FCP X and VP and round-trip to Resolve, you may have a workaround. It seems like a lot of work and another opportunity for things to go wrong, all because an editor won't use the right tools in the first place.

Bottom line: At a minimum, he needs to upgrade to Vegas Pro 13.0 if he expects to keep using a PC and work with Final Cur Pro X editors. I would recommend that he download the 30-day free trial of 13.0 and do some tests with moving projects back and forth. It's going to be very limited.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Sep 14, 2015 at 3:22:27 pm

I agree with John, the fact is that an editor needs to know more than one app to make it in this day and age and it's best to learn Final cut and Avid. It is not that complex for the principles of editing or story telling remain the same no matter what knife or razor used to cut the film. If the intent is to truly teach or get in some practice then like a good mentor the hard lessons need to be taught and learned listwise we do a disservice to the apprentice and all who look to the apprentice as a learned and practice professional.
I have done many round trips with Resolve from all NLE that can export an intermediate language with varying success. None are perfect transfers and generally allow only for simple cutting. All effects are lost and audio returns haphazard results at best.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Sep 20, 2015 at 4:26:19 am
Last Edited By Jonathan Thomas on Sep 20, 2015 at 4:33:27 am

Export as Sony XML files in Sony render dialog. Final Cut Pro reads that file just fine. I don’t use the FCPX XML export. I’m on a iMac that has Vegas Pro 13 on Bootcamp. I have been running this workflow for over year. Except the file will come in as a complete edited video.
That’s how I get the final file to render and export for ProRes 422. And, send this final file to TV channels.
Once I get the XML from Sony template. You can import into FCP X or Compressor for final edit.

Return to posts index

Marinda Fourie
on Aug 6, 2016 at 1:49:18 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Please can you give me step-by-step directions on importing an edit from Vegas into FCPX?
I saw in your previous post you said that you export as XML and that Final Cut Pro reads it perfectly. I do not have FCP any more, upgraded to FCPX.
Will really appreciate your help in getting edits from Vegas into FCPX.
Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 6, 2016 at 3:02:32 pm

[Marinda Fourie] "Please can you give me step-by-step directions on importing an edit from Vegas into FCPX? "
Try the menu item: File | Export | Final Cut Pro X (*.fcpxml)... That should give you a file you can import into FCP X.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]