FORUMS: list search recent posts

Youtube Render settings - High motion pixelation

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Pijnboom
Youtube Render settings - High motion pixelation
on Sep 12, 2015 at 10:28:51 am
Last Edited By Lars Pijnboom on Sep 12, 2015 at 3:36:11 pm

Hello, I have a small youtube channel that upload gaming footage.

I'm experiencing heavy pixelation on scenes with high motion and lots of details.
I'm using the x264vfw codec for exporting to .avi

Input: .mp4 1080p60 @ 50M (Recorded using Nvidia Hardwarebased Shadowplay)

Output: .avi 1080p60 @ 50M (Disable resample on, export quality best)
x264vfw settings:

The video I'm talking about:

(Please skip to 4min)

The grass looks blurry and the details are gone.

I've tried Sony AVC and Mainconcept AVC aswell but they give me the same result.

That are good render settings for this kind of videos?
Bandwidth or filesize is not a problem! My internet speed:

PC Specs:
i5 4460 @ 3.4GHz
Nvidia MSI GTX 970 4GB OC

~ Lars Pijnboom

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Youtube Render settings - High motion pixelation
on Sep 13, 2015 at 11:50:00 am

Try using the two pass option. You should get better quality at 30fps instead of 60fps which requires 2x the bitrate to maintain the same quality.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 13, 2015 at 11:22:41 pm

[Lars Pijnboom] "I'm experiencing heavy pixelation on scenes with high motion and lots of details."

That is quite common and normal. Youtube/vimeo re-encode your video to their spec and that spec is a pretty low bitrate where things like this can happen if the video overall does not get a high compression ratio.

You seem to be encoding to 50Mbps which I'll bet looks fine when you play it on your system. If the video you upload looks fine but their result has problems there is nothing you can do except adjust the content of the video where those problems occur. 50Mbps is probably around 4x higher bitrate than typically Youtube uses. They recommend 12Mbps uploads for 1080p60.

Return to posts index

Lars Pijnboom
on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:18:21 pm
Last Edited By Lars Pijnboom on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:39:21 pm

Will encoding at a lower bitrate -say like 12Mbps- give me better results at Youtube?

Also: Is there a better codec than x264 for Youtube? Or does Debugmode Frameserver give me better results if I use an external codec?

I've tried 30fps aswell but it looks even worse

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:56:17 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Sep 14, 2015 at 6:12:48 pm

[Lars Pijnboom] "Will encoding at a lower bitrate -say like 12Mbps- give me better results at Youtube?"

Unlikely. At lower bitrates your encode from Vegas will start to breakdown just as it is breaking down with the Youtube encode.

[Lars Pijnboom] "Also: Is there a better codec than x264 for Youtube?"

Youtube could care less what you upload.

I'll repeat myself. If the video you are uploading to Youtube looks good but the Youtube result breaks down in places there is nothing you can do. The content of the video is simply not able to be compressed enough to maintain a certain visual quality level at the Youtube encode bitrate.

As a test, just take your video and encode it from Vegas from your 50Mbps in various steps down to 8Mbps. Watch each one. You will see the video break down more and more in quality as you lower the bitrate. Each encode started with the exact same "perfect" source. Exactly where and when the breakdowns occur depends on the video content. Some things compress very well. Typical movie and tv content where you have actors standing around talking compresses extremely well and can look good a very low bitrates. Video game videos very commonly break down in quality. Every week we have at least one thread about Youtube video quality from a game video.

Encoding from Vegas with a "perfect" source will show breakdowns when lowering bitrate to certain levels. The same situation occurs when uploading something to Youtube. Giving Youtube an even more perfect source is not going to help their resulting encode be any better. Their encode is doing the best it can given the source material for the bitrate they encode to.

When you tried a 30p encode did you disable resampling?

Return to posts index

Lars Pijnboom
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:28:03 pm

I Always disable resample. It looks to me thats Youtube outputs a lower bitrate at 30fps, compared to 60fps

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Sep 15, 2015 at 10:21:40 pm

Of course Youtube targets different bitrates for 30p and 60p. 30p has half the data of 60p and thus needs less bitrate.

Just going by the Youtube recommendations they give 60p about 50% more bitrate than 30p. Not twice since there is normally much more interframe redundancy in 60p material than 30p and hence one can get a better compression ration before losing visual quality. However, if the 60p is fast moving with high frequency detail even the extra 50% can still be worse. Simply put, if the 60p does not get at least 50% better interframe compression than 30p then the 60p will normally come out worse. Bitrate must be thought of in bitrate per frame and not an absolute number independent of the frame rate.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Sas
on Oct 17, 2015 at 11:41:32 pm

I am having the exact same issue. I've spent the last 3 days researching this YT problem. In my case it's GTAV footage. I couldnt help but notice that many youtubers dont experience this pixelating/keyframe pumping issue even at high settings/fast movement. If there's anyone willing to vreak this down with me, I would much appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]